Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By aaron19953
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    13 Global Posts

Question Can I use Chromecast for my presentation

I am unsure what Chromecast is doing so far but think there may be a useful usage in my work. Most of our conference room have installed 46" FHD TVs. Can I use plug Chromecast in the HDMI port of TV and send my powerpoint to the TV from my iPad or Windows 8 tablet wirelessly. In addition, I can use the iPad or Windows tablet to control the presentation. Can someone who has got this device to confirm it works.

Global Posts
    288 Global Posts

Default Re: Can I use Chromecast for my presentation

Not directly, no. You cannot send content from a tablet to the Chromecast; you can only send a reference to content elsewhere. If you exported you presentation as a web page externally hosted and sent a link to that from the Chrome extension it would work, but if your presentation is on your iPad or Windows 8 tablet you can't send the presentation itself.

The short answer to your question is yes, you can.. but it's not as simple as YouTube or Play Music.
    There are a few options for ya.
    A. Upload your presentation to google drive, send the whole tab to the chromecast (only works on Chrome browser)
    B. Keep the content in Powerpoint, open Chrome Browser, using the cast extension click on the the little down arrow and select "Cast Entire Screen (experimental)"

Neither one is a slick as youtube and relies on your computer to do the heavy lifting. That being said, I can't see google NOT integrating this into the google drive apps.. Think
    of all the TV's and projectors that will now instantly become wifi compatible for $35 !
    dotcom414 likes this.

Problem that I have found trying to display a GoogleDocs Presentation is that it doesn't advance beyond the first slide.

I open a GDocs Presentation, 'cast the Chrome tab, then click on "Present". The Chromecast display shows the fullscreen Presentation, but for either timed or manual advances, the Chromecast screen stays on the first slide of the Presentation.

Through the Chrome Cast extension I've sent feedback on this. I'm sure it is a matter of time before they enable GDocs integration with Chromecast (I hope!!)

Well, before you try to find a way to do the presentation, you will need to make sure you could actually setup the chromecast dongle. Your work will need to have a wireless network that you could connect to with an outside device.

I use my Galaxy Tab 3 and Chromecast dongle to present my ppt slides through the HDMI port on lecture hall projectors. BUT I first save the PPTs as JPEGs and run it like a slideshow using Avia. Be careful on the ordering, because office will save the first 9 files without a 0, leaving them out of order. So I create 9 blank slides first to avoid this problem. When a real solution comes along, please let me know. But, this works for now. I also have no problem playing most media directly from tablet to chromecast using Avia.

For those of us that are not super techy...can you please translate the following sentence? What is cast extension and what little down arrow are you talking about?

open Chrome Browser, using the cast extension click on the the little down arrow and select "Cast Entire Screen (experimental)"

Thanks!

Have somebody heard about Miracast Dongle”? If yes, please share your experience, I’ve been supposing one myself. It seems too Techy for me either

Quote Originally Posted by Beckie318 View Post
    For those of us that are not super techy...can you please translate the following sentence? What is cast extension and what little down arrow are you talking about?

open Chrome Browser, using the cast extension click on the the little down arrow and select "Cast Entire Screen (experimental)"

Thanks!
    "Google Cast" is the Chrome browser extension that allows the browser and web apps to work on Chromecast. (Do a Google search for google cast extension and you'll find it)

When the cast extension is installed you will see a Chromecast icon in the upper right of the browser window (to the right of the url/search bar). When you click this it will give you the option to cast the current tab to your Chromecast. Also in this menu there is a tiny down arrow in the upper right that you can click and choose to cast the entire desktop.

I hope this clarified the issue for you!

Posted with Nexus 5 via Android Central App