Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By tillerrw
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Chromecast Netflix error

I tried to use Netflix with the Chromecast dongle and app from my phone for the first time last night. Each time I try I get an error on my Netflix app and on the TV screen telling me Netflix is having an issue and to try again later or try another movie/video. Each Netflix video I try gives me the same error. Has anyone else run into this? I haven't found anything during my online search yet.

Thanks,

Default Re: Chromecast Netflix error

I'm having the same issue. Can't find a solution though. YouTube works great, though.

I tried loading Netflix from the chrome browser and it just brings the Netflix loading screen up on my TV for hours (it was 10 minutes, I'm just doing a statistical projection)

Sent from my Sprint HTC One using Tapatalk 2
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

I tried to play Netflix on my Chromecast via my N7 (1st gen) this morning and while I didn't get the error my S3 gave me it just sat in the loading video mode for 10 minutes before I canceled it. Not sure what's going on with Netflix and Chromecast at my house but not a happy experience so far. All other apps work fine from S3 and N7 along with Chrome browser.

I am having the same issue. I tried with my 1st gen N7 and my N4. Neither will play the video and I get the same error. Very irritating :/
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Quote Originally Posted by sometīmesrock View Post
    I am having the same issue. I tried with my 1st gen N7 and my N4. Neither will play the video and I get the same error. Very irritating :/
    I tried two things last night and was able to fix this problem. The first thing I did was log in to my Netflix account online and "sign out of all devices". Then I performed a factory reset on my Chromecast via the app on my phone/tablet. After that everything worked properly.

Quote Originally Posted by tillerrw View Post
    I tried two things last night and was able to fix this problem. The first thing I did was log in to my Netflix account online and "sign out of all devices". Then I performed a factory reset on my Chromecast via the app on my phone/tablet. After that everything worked properly.
    Awesome. I'll have to try that after work tonight!

Global Posts
    47 Global Posts

I had the same issue...I rebooted both my N7 and Chromecast device and everything started working

Sign out and factory reset seems to have done the trick!

Thank you! I was having the same issues. Followed your steps and everything is fine, again.

After an automatic update of my new chromecast, I get youtube, google play (songs and movies) working from my google galaxy nexus phone but Netflix doesn't load the movies. IT says "Play on device failed" and START_SESSION_TIMEOUT().

From my i5 laptop with Win7, Netflix works fine and also I can cast the entire screen BUT the tabbed cast doesn't work at all. Is like it doesn't even try since I get the red square right away after clicking.

When casting from my iPad 1, Netflix works fine.

Very frustrating that a new device doesn't work. Any help will be appreciated.
    Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by tillerrw View Post
    I am trying to fix this same Netflix error my friend is having on his Samsung Tap 2 10.1 tablet. I have no issues with my N7-(2012). I found the factory reset button in the Chromecast App, so that was simple. However are you saying to just sign out of your NetFlix account since I couldn't see any "sign out of all devices" in my NetFlix account. Note I have only had NetFlix for a week but I couldn't find anything that said devices there.
  12. Thread Author  Thread Author    #12  

Once you are logged into Netflix.com hover your mouse over the account name/menu to the top right of the page. Choose "Your Account". Then near the lower right of the screen you will see an option that says "Sign out of all devices". That is the option I chose along with a factory reset on my ChromeCast that solved the problem. Hope it does the same for you.
    Thanked by:
    Shilohcane likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by mastertupa#WN View Post
    After an automatic update of my new chromecast, I get youtube, google play (songs and movies) working from my google galaxy nexus phone but Netflix doesn't load the movies. IT says "Play on device failed" and START_SESSION_TIMEOUT().

From my i5 laptop with Win7, Netflix works fine and also I can cast the entire screen BUT the tabbed cast doesn't work at all. Is like it doesn't even try since I get the red square right away after clicking.

When casting from my iPad 1, Netflix works fine.

Very frustrating that a new device doesn't work. Any help will be appreciated.
    Thanks.
    I had the same error trying to cast netflix movies from my galaxy tab. I set the same time and time zone in both chromecast and galaxy tab and this solved the issue.

A simple fix. Just disconnect the power to the Chromecast device. Then plug it back in to re-boot the device. Netflix worked once again. Hope this simple approach helps the "non-technical" audience.

Global Posts
    112 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Alekna View Post
    A simple fix. Just disconnect the power to the Chromecast device. Then plug it back in to re-boot the device. Netflix worked once again. Hope this simple approach helps the "non-technical" audience.
    Tha'ts what I do when mine does not work. Simple yet powerfull trick.

how do you reset the chromecast app?