Love your ChromeCast???

rfmike

Dec 2, 2009
Visit site
So far im loving This Chromecast. i love having my Google Music up on my Big screen and coming though the surround sound.

Thats your favorite part so far???

Y2Dre

May 7, 2010
Visit site
I was just about to start another "I Love My Chromecast" thread. But luckily, I saw this one first!

This thing works perfectly for my needs. I just bought a Bose Cinemate GS II Series system for my bedroom. (Please don't turn this into a Bose sucks thread...this isn't my only system) My only concern was music streaming. I have that set up in my family room with my PS3 and HTC Media Link.

Chromecast and Google Play All Access is a match made in heaven. Streaming works flawlessly...switching between my HTC One and my Nexus 7 went without a hitch...Netflix is crystal clear with no sync issues. I haven't tried streaming from a Chrome browser yet...saving that for later.

I don't get the hate on other websites over this thing. It's a niche product at a perfect price point. Sure, other devices may do more. But hell...am I gonna buy another PS3 for my bedroom...no. If I already had Apple TV...I wouldn't go buy a second one for my bedroom TV. This couldn't have come at a better time and I'm anxiously awaiting more app support and future features/surprises.

Posted via Android Central App

WhoMe

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
I love mine. Does exactly what was promised. Im really looking forward to what the future holds for this device and I HOPE the Googlers can optimize tab/desktop casting to make it even better.

scaots

May 29, 2010
Visit site
I love being able to queue up music from my phone. My home theater system is now nearly perfect. From my phone I can control my Onkyo receiver and play whatever music I want whether in the family room or to zone 2 on the patio.

I am also anxious to get a new TV so the old one can go to the bedroom with a big screen and HDMI for another Chromecast, but that's going to have to wait a while.

It's #chromecastic

rbradkc

Jan 20, 2011
Visit site
I really like the Chromecast, I was able to get computer tabs to cast. My biggest disappointment is not being able to get Chrome Tabs from android devices such as my tablet and phone to cast. I anxiously await this ability.

Slow_S10

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
I just got mine last night and I haven't had much time to play with it, but overall I am stoked. This thing is crazy cool and I just know it's only going to get better with future updates.

scooter7

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
So I just got my Chromecast today (Ordered from Amazon). I ended up getting mine for free using Amazon credits that I had accumulated. My first impression was that the box was pretty heavy for this little thing. I know that it is kind of silly, but the box that this thing came in is really high quality for something that is only $35. So far I have only tried the Google music and Google movies. I LOVE the fact that I can now play music through my receiver without having it use my tablet or phone to stream. I was using a Bluetooth receiver that worked fine, but if I wanted to play a game on the sending phone or tablet at the same time it was a little wonky and the sound of the game would get a little off. Now I don't have that problem, plus it is 1 less step for me to take to get my music playing through my audio receiver.

The quality of the video (Transformer's movie that came free with my 2012 Nexus 7) was pretty good, but not super great.

I will test out the Netflix after I setup up an account using the free 3 month code.

Bottom Line is for $35 this is AWESOME and so much better than my Bluetooth receiver that I got last year for $25 (I may still use the Bluetooth receiver when I want to play music without my TV on.)

mched

Mar 10, 2013
Visit site
My transformers movie also is not all that great..... As a matter of fact, no videos from you tube or Netflix look real great. My TV is only 720P - 1080i does that make a difference?

enjoylife949

Mar 5, 2011
Visit site
I think my ChromeCast is great!
But my older Vizio 720p HDTV will sometimes overscan or crop the HDMI video input.
I don't really understand why.
There is no setting on this TV to eliminate the overscan.
DVD players do not get cropped but other types of devices do.
Also, I am not sure if all content is getting cropped from ChromeCast.

scooter7

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
My transformers movie also is not all that great..... As a matter of fact, no videos from you tube or Netflix look real great. My TV is only 720P - 1080i does that make a difference?

My TV is 1080p. I tried YouTube and a high quality YouTube music video looked much better than the Transformer movie.

sjd2246

Sep 15, 2011
Visit site
I really do like the CC! I know casting from a chrome tab on my laptop is in beta, but sometimes when I cast content from a website like CBS or ESPN I don't get any audio. I'll try it later and will get audio. I'm assuming this is because its a beta feature. Hope it improves.

Has anyone else had an issue with the audio?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using AC Forums mobile app

ETPhoneHomeT

Aug 1, 2013
Visit site
Yes, loving mine...I just added a 2nd Chromecast to my bedroom TV. For $35 apiece and partly offset by 6 months free Netflix ($48 value), it was pretty much a steal. My favorite part is the ability to queue YouTube videos. I'm keeping up with all of the new smartphones and tablets hitting the market and can just line up reviews one after another. Also, using my phone/tablet as my remote controller for Netflix is so much easier than trying to use the built in Netflix on my smart TV and the TV's remote.

hypokondriak

Sep 12, 2013
Visit site
I think this device is barely worth $35 right now. I am not in love with any of these companies (Google, Apple, Microsoft, etc) so I get experience with everything. I've owned many iPhones, currently have HTC One, Surface Pro, Asus Chromebook, iPads, Apple TV, MacBook, and now I own 2 Chromecasts. I have 2 Chromecasts because I ordered from Google and Amazon when they were backordered and both came off around the same time so figured why not. I'm keeping them because I think Chromecast has a bright future, but it is quite average right now. For example:

1. The Chrome tab casting functionality is terrible. It is not my wireless network because A) I've been able to Airplay Mirror *entire desktops* just fine since last year, B) I've got a great router (Asus RT-N66), and C) I've done a lot of testing back to my VM infrastructure and NAS so I know my network can easily handle dual path wireless (i.e. wireless device to router to chromecast) and single path wireless (i.e. wired device to router to chromecast). Casting the tab pegs my 8x32 wired desktop t the point where I don't want to use it for anything else or end client quality suffers. Yeah I understand this is beta, experimental, or whatever they want to call it. I also understand it's an available feature on a device they are charging for....as a result it must get better. Google is lucky people hold them to a lower standard because other tech companies would get blasted for this.

2. I have 2 Smart TVs (Panny and Samsung) and with both I think the Smart TV apps are much easier. The Netflix app, for example, will auto play the next episode or typically is one or two clicks to get to something else. Using my HTC One is definitely not as easy. Scroll back to page that has app icon, re-open app, hit back maybe a couple times, start next episode, etc. Obviously I get that this device isn't great at this point for people that already have Smart TVs, but also realistically that's the competition Google is up against so they need to make it easier.

3. Where are the apps? Google pulled a very big Apple move with this new firmware update. Accident? Yeah right I hope you don't really believe that. The only apps I can use are essentially Google owned apps and Netflix. It's certainly in their advantage to try and force Google Play down my throats, and having a beta SDK for a device they are charging money for is quite convenient, isn't it? I'm sure the apps will come, but right now I've got Apple like behavior out of Google with a device that is really limited and doesn't work great.

4. 5.1 audio doesn't work with my Marantz and in fact sometimes my Marantz loses the device entirely. This might be Marantz problem, but no other device I own has this problem including my HTC Media Link. This is well documented in another thread so I know my situation isn't unique.

I guess you can flame away at me if you want, but all of the problems I'm experiencing above are factual and real. There are competing devices that do what this device attempts to do much better, and you can justify that away with the $35 or you can demand better just like I do. I'm sure they'll get this device better down the road and it really has the chance to be an amazing product, but right now it is a buggy device that was rushed to the market. No vendor should get a pass here.