1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Broadcast from one device to multiple Chromecasts?

I have been wondering if it is possible to broadcast from a single computer, or device to multiple Chromecasts. I was hoping to mirror data across multiple screens.

Default Re: Broadcast from one device to multiple Chromecasts?

Quote Originally Posted by schadeck View Post
    I have been wondering if it is possible to broadcast from a single computer, or device to multiple Chromecasts. I was hoping to mirror data across multiple screens.
    It doesn't look like that will work right now. I have two Chrome Casts in my house and it makes me choose which one to broadcast to.

I'm sure some savvy dev will find a hack at some point, but right now that will not work.

Global Posts
    358 Global Posts

First of all, we're not broadcasting directly to the Chromecast. We are just telling the Chromecast what to broadcast. I think that you should be able to use more than one at a time though since once you tell one to play a video you can do something else with your device... such as tell another Chromecast to play something else (or the same thing) - They just wont be synced..

You're phone, laptop, or tablet is literally nothing but a remote to Chromecast.

Quote Originally Posted by ibbyj View Post
    First of all, we're not broadcasting directly to the Chromecast. We are just telling the Chromecast what to broadcast. I think that you should be able to use more than one at a time though since once you tell one to play a video you can do something else with your device... such as tell another Chromecast to play something else (or the same thing) - They just wont be synced..

You're phone, laptop, or tablet is literally nothing but a remote to Chromecast.
    The beta/experimental version of "Show my Desktop" is definitely broadcasting through the Chromecast. It's not pulling the data through the web as I was viewing restricted content (an MLB.TV game) through a pop-up window last night that didn't have the Cast icon on it. I can't see a way that the Chromecast could pull that off if it wasn't coming from my desktop.

Global Posts
    4 Global Posts

It doesn't look like that will work right now. I have two Chrome Casts in my house and it makes me choose which one to broadcast to.
    Right, it makes you choose one if you send from a phone/tablet and in a specific Chrome browser tab, but if you open the same thing in 3 different browser tabs/windows, can you send each of those to a different Chromecast? I'm wondering about this for digital signage. I could basically have a static webpage up in multiple tabs and then send it to multiple displays around the building from one system if this worked. The alternative is multiple chromecasts AND multiple sending devices, but that's just getting convoluted at that point.

Did you get this to work in the desired fashion? I'm looking at doing something just like this for internal corporate signage.

I may be over simplifying but could you use 1 system and load VMWare on it and then create a separate VM for each sign. Only catch I see is it really depends on how the casting plugin works to pull the display. If it pulls from the video buffer it may not work well. You may also have licensing for each VM depending on what OS you use.
    Craig
    Phone :: BB880>>BB9000>>Captivate>>Galaxy Note1
    Tablet :: B&N Nook >> Xoom >> Nexus 10
    Game/Mini-PC :: Zealz G802 >> Ouya