Chromecast bug on certain phones? Razr, Bionic, etc.

tatas#AC

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
Similar to the bug in this article about the Razr, but not quite the same as I can only cast Youtube from my Droid Bionic: http://www.droid-life.com/2013/07/30/droid-razr-experiencing-chromecast-bug-only-youtube-and-netflix-seem-to-work/

My Chromecast works perfectly from my laptop when I set up the Chromecast from the downloaded app. I can cast Netflix, youtube, etc. The problem is on my Droid Bionic. I am only able to cast from the Android Youtube app. There isn't even an option in the Android Netflix app or Google Play Music or Google Play Movies/TV. I called Google and they said it's a hardware problem with my phone and to call Motorola. I tried that and they said it was the Chromecast. So now I'm just going in circles.See screenshots below.

• The "Cast" Icon that appears in the Android Youtube App is nowhere to be found in the Android Netflix/Google Play apps on my phone.
  • I have the latest updates of all these apps and have Jellybean 4.1.2 on my phone.
  • I even cleared the Google Play Music cache and did a factory reset of the phone AND the ChromeCast with no success.
  • On setup I Can see the code on my screen but I get the "Could not communicate with your Chromecast" message and it doesn't let me press "I see the code", I can only select OK for the "Could not communicate with your Chromecast" message.
  • I have tried my phone on several strong wireless networks
  • My friends Android devices connect to my Chromecast with no problem on my wireless network.
  • I'm using the correct HDMI input and it has power from the supplied USB Wall plug.
  • I can cast from my Windows laptop with no issue.

9qfkn9.jpg

Last edited:

Legobricke

May 20, 2010
Visit site
Re: Chromecast bug on certain Verizon phones?

Might you be rooted?

I was wondering if this worked on "rooted" phones".

rootedVette

Jun 29, 2012
Visit site

Same issue basically that I have on my RAZR that I use as my wifi GrooveIP house phone. I was on official 4.1.2, then tried switching to CM10.1, no change.

Posted via Android Central App

Nicholas Matulich

May 17, 2013
Visit site

I'm having the identical problem on my bionic. I had to setup my chromecast with my mac. After that, I have the exact same issues.

CyaniCs

Feb 25, 2013
Visit site
Not just motorola. Same problem with LG G2x (rooted, rom'd). Was wondering if it was working on 4.x, and not 2.3. Started a new thread over the issue also.
http://forums.androidcentral.com/go...2-no-casting-tab-netflix-pandora-gb2-3-a.html

- - - Updated - - -

Not just motorola. Same problem with LG G2x (rooted, rom'd). Was wondering if it was working on 4.x, and not 2.3. Started a new thread over the issue also.
http://forums.androidcentral.com/go...2-no-casting-tab-netflix-pandora-gb2-3-a.html

oh, and same issue on wife's non-rooted, non-rom'd MyTough4G

CyaniCs

Feb 25, 2013
Visit site

- - - Updated - - -

oh, and same issue on wife's non-rooted, non-rom'd MyTough4G

Found possible solution. Netflix is version controlling based off model. Bionic has this issue, apparently mine does too. My phone reports V. 2.4.0b939

On XDA, this is a discovered issue, and at least 1 has taken to edit the buildprop to change the bionic to Nexus S. Apparently that worked for him to unlock the netflix cast. On mine, sure enough (G2x) changing to Nexus S unlocked the cast button.

No Chromecast button in NetFlix? Simple fix! [ROOT REQUIRED] - xda-developers

tatas#AC

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for that possible solution to Netflix CyaniCs. I might have to finally root, however do you have the ability to Chromecast in Android Google play Music/Movies TV apps? Also, I notified NetFlix customer support of this possible software bug, so hopefully they will fix it soon!

Last edited:

CyaniCs

Feb 25, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for that possible solution to Netflix CyaniCs. I might have to finally root, however do you have the ability to Chromecast in Android Google play Music/Movies TV apps? Also, I notified NetFlix customer support of this possible software bug, so hopefully they will fix it soon!

i do. google play stuff / youtube, was never an issue. only netflix was.

viperwd

Jul 7, 2010
Visit site
I am having a similar issue with my Droid Razr Maxx. I get the Chromecast icon on Youtube and Netflix but not Play Music or Play Movies/TV. I have Jelly Bean 4.1.2 and the most up to date of the apps, including Music, which I just downloaded todays update. I also get the same issue as the original post that the Chromecast app can't seem to connect to it. I don't want to root just to fix this. Any thoughts?

Just a Guy

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
I am having a problem with my wife's RAZR maxx. I downloaded the chromecast app on her phone, but when I search for the chromecast on our WiFi through the app it keeps saying no chromecast found. I was able to connect just fine on our computer and on my RAZR HD, but not through her RAZR maxx. Anyone else had this issue?

antk90

Oct 18, 2010
Visit site
I'm having the exact same problems with my razr maxx. Netflix and YouTube work fine but no option to cast on Google play music and movies. I have no idea how to resolve the problem and the tech I spoke with at Google had no idea either.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

tatas#AC

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
Now Google and Netflix are aware of this issue and the response from Google is below:

"Thank you for contacting us.

Razr / Razr MAXX / Droid Bionic running Android 4.1.2 have a known issue where Play Movies & Play Music don't display the cast icon as expected. Our team is aware of the issue and we are investigating.

Thanks,

The Google Play Support Team"

tatas#AC

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
I guess I wasn't very clear when I said "It's still not working". I don't speak any other languages so I'll just type it slower this time. It's-still-not-working...