Got Slingbox to cast with Chromecast

Gregrph

Aug 28, 2013
Visit site
when I maximize the screen through facebook, TV goes dark, only sound is coming through, any way to solve this and max the screen?

- - - Updated - - -

How to get slingbox to max screen, TV goes dark once slingbox through facebook is maximized ?

quadrathon

Sep 9, 2013
Visit site
Got my Slingbox Slingplayer to work perfectly using the Facebook frame on my pc, my question is is there a way to use my Tablet (Galaxy Tab 3) to send the Slingplayer picture/sound signal to my Chromecast, if I log into FB in a Chrome browser window and look for the Slingplayer it defaults and opens the SlingPlayer app which does not connect to the Chromecast?

Failing that would getting a Chrome Notebook be a better solution...although I was really trying to avoid having a laptop fill the gap

Thanks

Scutley

May 17, 2013
Visit site
I have a slingbox. Just trying to understand in what cases you would use it with chromecast since there is no point in accessing the slingplayer if you are home already. As you mentioned, you could access DVRd content using the slingbox while traveling and cast it to a hotel tv.

For example,

I'm about to buy a used one off of E-Bay or Amazon and hook it up at my sisters house in Chicago. The reason is that I'm a Bears fan and the Bears game is usually blacked out because I live in Michigan, and have to settle with the sucky Lions. My sister lives in Chicago so she gets the Bears games. So, I'm going to get one for her and then I will be able to watch Bears games in Michigan.

ETPhoneHomeT

Aug 1, 2013
Visit site
For example,

I'm about to buy a used one off of E-Bay or Amazon and hook it up at my sisters house in Chicago. The reason is that I'm a Bears fan and the Bears game is usually blacked out because I live in Michigan, and have to settle with the sucky Lions. My sister lives in Chicago so she gets the Bears games. So, I'm going to get one for her and then I will be able to watch Bears games in Michigan.

Hopefully, your sister is a Bears fan too LOL!

michaeld83

Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
I use it so I don't have to pay for another cable box (saves me about $12 a month) On top of that it allows me to move my 27in TV around in the house so if there is a football game on I can move my TV outside watch it while i'm grilling. Slingbox isn't for everyone but I've had one since they came out. When I was younger I would pay my mom to get an extra cable box when I rented an apartment and I just payed for my internet and the one cable box that saves me $45 a month and I got all the channels my mom got for $10.

matathia

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
Two questions on slingplayer via facebook to chromecast:
1) is it possible to do it with an android phone? Have not been able to access the community.
2) does anyone else have a situation where the program quits after a few minutes? Thought it might be my sleep settings, adjusted them, but no help.

dullgeek

Nov 1, 2009
Visit site
Well she from Detroit, but she is not a big sports fan. She can watch my Slingbox that I have here in Michigan if she wants to watch the Lions.
I do the same thing that you want to do for my favorite team (Go Pack Go). My mom lives in Wisconsin, and I've installed a slingbox pro-hd at her house. This is not the newest model slingbox - it's the previous generation. But the newest models no longer include TV tuners in them, while this version has it's own tuner. So it will tune in any of the analog cable channels and any of the clear QAM HD channels - generally these are the local broadcast channels. Which is more than enough for what I want, since the Packers are always played on one of the local broadcast channels - even when they're on ESPN or NFL network, those games are rebroadcast on a local channel.

The advantage of this set up is that I have my own tuner, so I can tune it to whatever I want to watch without interfering with what my mom is watching. I could, of course, set it up on the cable box that's connected to her TV - that would give me access to all of her digital channels, including more HD channels. But then if she wanted to watch something different than I wanted, I'd be stuck.

The other thing I could do is order another cable box for her and dedicate that to my slingbox. But that would cost an additional $10/mo, and I'm too cheap for that.

And since all I really want it for is to watch Packers games, what I've got is more than adequate. You could probably do the same thing.

philb#AC

May 14, 2010
Visit site
"So what you do is from your Google Chrome Web Browser you go to the Facebook app version of slingbox"

Slingplayer extension not supported on Google chrome 64 bit, I can not log in via facebook OR the sling website. I can log in on both with Firefox, is there a way to cast from Firefox?

qwick

Feb 14, 2011
Visit site
"So what you do is from your Google Chrome Web Browser you go to the Facebook app version of slingbox"

Slingplayer extension not supported on Google chrome 64 bit, I can not log in via facebook OR the sling website. I can log in on both with Firefox, is there a way to cast from Firefox?

Is there even a 64bit version of Chrome?? If you mean Chrome on windows 64bit then it working fine here for me.

If you really are using Chrome 64bit, then just install the 32 version (canary build so its a separate user profile) and use it when you need to chromecast the slingplay in facebook.

This works great so far, I needed a way to get Slingplayer on my TV in front of my exercise machine. Before I had to plug in my phone with a MHL adapter, required all kinds of cables and just a overall pain.

Thank OP!

mpullan

Aug 18, 2012
Visit site
The Facebook site works for wife's PC but out side of the 20 foot recommendation. I have a HP touchpad dual booted with Android but can't get chrome cast extention loaded on it

ctlogistics

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
When I attempt to open the facebook app in google chrome on my Xoom, it re-directs me to the app store to purchase the mobile(slingbox) app. Works fine with my PC.

PIYIRIO

May 19, 2010
Visit site
Um, this method isn't working well for me. Lots of lag and blips, audio and video out of sync, then the video froze altogether and I had to reset the box. That sure wont work if I'm traveling. Anyone else having similar trouble?

headdead

Nov 11, 2012
Visit site
This comment is slightly off subject since it does not involve an Android device, but if you are still reading you may be interested.
I have a Slingbox 350 in my home in a Detroit suburb w/ Xfinity 30 Mbps internet (speedtest shows 14Mbps down, 3Mbps upload), connected w/ lan cable to my router.
My beachhouse on Lake Huron 150 miles away has Charter 20Mbps internet (speedtest shows 21Mbps download, 3Mbps upload)

Summary 1: using Slingbox website, running Chrome on a Macbook Pro, to sling content from Detroit to the beachhouse, viewing on the Macbook Pro, is generally enjoyable. The picture and audio are outstanding. The virtual remote has 3 or 4 seconds of lag, which is annoying but not awful. The 15" laptop screen is great for watching football alone, but not great for the wife and I to watch together.
Summary 2: using the Facebook Slingbox app to cast the video from the Macbook Pro to a 50" TV connected to a Chromecast unit shows significant delay between the audio and video. The resulting picture/sound is out of phase/delayed and is too annoying to enjoy.

I am eagerly awaiting reviews of the JVC 55" or 50" smart TV with embedded Slingbox app. In concept, the smart TV would connect to the router at the beach, avoid Chromecast or the Facbook Slingplayer app, and use a dedicated, local Slingplayer app to display the signal. I am also awaiting other TV manufactures to market smart TV's with and embedded Slingbox app.
"Your Milage May Vary."

Mom7879

Jan 13, 2014
Visit site
I have a slingbox solo. I can get it to work on facebook but only in my house. I am trying to use it remotely with chromecast while on vacation but it keeps telling me that it can't connect. I can connect to my slingbox at slingbox.com but when I try to use it with chromecast, I get the webpage but no picture. Any suggestions?

sammytheblade

Feb 12, 2014
Visit site
Alright, for those of you who have Slingbox (Slingbox.com - Slingbox Home) and I'm pretty sure you know what Slingbox is. It's an absolutely amazing device that lets you watch your TV from anywhere in the world without paying any extra fees. Go to the site to learn more.

Anyways, for those who have Chromecast and Slingbox both, I bet you checked to see if you can get the Slingbox working on Chromecast. Well I just got it working and here is how:

1. First you DO NOT go to the slingbox.com page where you can watch your slingplayer (that won't work. All you get is a blank black box on your TV once you hit the cast button).
  2. So what you do is from your Google Chrome Web Browser you go to the Facebook app version of slingbox here (https://apps.facebook.com/slingplayer_/) .
  3. If you already are login to Facebook a Sling Player login box should appear (if you haven't login into Slingplayer from facebook before).
  4. Login in with you Slingplayer E-mail/Username and password.
  5. Click on which device (if you are like me you have more then 1 Slingbox in your house) you want.
  6. Then hit the cast button to send it to Chromecast.
  7. Go to your TV that Chromecast is on and it should be broadcasting correctly and working good.

*Have a feeling why it works with the Facebook one is because the Facebook one I don't think you need to download any Slingplayer codec, with the one on the Slingplayer website you do.*

Goodnight

Hey guys,

So i just got the chromecast, because I would like to watch the slingbox on my tv via my computer. my tv is too new and doesnt have a vga connector, and my computer doesnt have a hdmi port, so i thought i would try this chromecast. that being said...I tried your directions of using the facebook app and i get this message "unable to connect to the slingbox. please check that your slingbox is on and is connected to the network." But the thing is...when i go to slingbox.com site, it works just fine. my hands are tied. I have the slingbox solo by the way too.

please help! Im lost!

Thanks,
SM