Can I hook a Chromecast to my stereo with an adapter??

NealJ777

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
Okay, I'm hooked!

Would I be able to get an adapter the would allow me to plug a Chromecast into my stereo? HDMI to stereo adapter??

Or if there's a better solution, please let me know.

Obviously, I wouldn't be able to get video on my stereo, but I would be able to stream from Google Play Music. :)

Thank you :)

Devlyn16

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
some tvs have an audio out so in theory you could connect the Chromecast to the TV HDMI, then connect the TV's audio out to an input on your stereo.

NealJ777

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
some tvs have an audio out so in theory you could connect the Chromecast to the TV HDMI, then connect the TV's audio out to an input on your stereo.

This is for a stereo on another floor of the house. I would need a second Chromecast.

Devlyn16

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
I guess I'm not seeing the picture you are painting. Do you mean you would be streaming the music to the second floor while you are on the first?

bearda

Jan 25, 2013
Visit site
I guess I'm not seeing the picture you are painting. Do you mean you would be streaming the music to the second floor while you are on the first?

I think he's trying the same scenario I am, where there's no TV near the stereo to convert from HDMI to audio.

Devlyn16

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
I think he's trying the same scenario I am, where there's no TV near the stereo to convert from HDMI to audio.

right, I understand what he is trying to do, I am confused as to why a simple Bluetooth reciever to stereo wouldn't work for this. WHy it need tobe Chromecast.

NealJ777

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
right, I understand what he is trying to do, I am confused as to why a simple Bluetooth reciever to stereo wouldn't work for this. WHy it need tobe Chromecast.

With Bluetooth: I am streaming Google Play Music from the Cloud to my device (Nexus 7), which in turn is sending the audio out via BT and using battery.

With Chromecast: I am sending a request to Chromecast to get the info (Google Play Music) from the Cloud to the Chromecast. After the streaming begins, the controller (Nexus 7) is no longer in the picture, unless I want to send another command.

vansmack

Sep 12, 2010
Visit site

Wifi reach is also much farther than Bluetooth (250 meters vs 30 meters), and the two Bluetooth devices I've used were either poor sound quality at the high end or the low end. It's much better over wifi.

Devlyn16

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
thanks that was the part of the picture I was missing.

That is interesting, I would love to see a power comparison between using a Nexus 4+7+10/chromecast pairing and a nexus 4+7+10/Bluetooth pairing

Cigar-Junkie

Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
In my setup I have the Chrome Cast plugged into the Onkyo Network receiver and it works great. My problem is that the audio from the Chrome cast is digital. I don't think my receiver converts that to a analog audio out that I then rout to an amp for speakers in other rooms. Going to play around this weekend with settings and see if there is a work around. I'll report back.

Cigar-Junkie

Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
My receiver will not up convert or down convert HDMI to analog out. I can use a DAC digital converter that's $30 to $200 depending on model. I may see if there is another way but I doubt it.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

32str8

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
I am curious to hear how that works for you please come back and let us know.

Posted via Android Central App on my Note 3

Just got my adapter and it works great. May have some interference as I hear a mild hum when no music is playing but I have only tested it on some bad computer speakers that I have lying around. will set it up to my home speakers when I get a chance but I can only assume that it should work well as the humming is absent when music is streaming.

32str8

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
Finally hooked up 3 Chromecasts as zones (1st, 2nd floor and outdoor) to my house speaker system and everything works flawlessly. Cheap alternative to Sonos.

Devlyn16

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
Excuse me. I'm a fish but wonder that Chromecast could also stream music? Not only streaming videos?

It can stream the music. However in the above situation there was no TV and the Stereo didnt have an HDMI port so a work around was needed.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
19escape20