Can't get my laptop to find my Chromecast

kidkamel

Jun 2, 2012
Visit site
Hello all,

I tried searching but couldn't find anything like my situation. If I missed it please direct me to the correct thread.

Here's the situation, I have a Dell laptop with Win 8 and I downloaded the extension and the app. The app connects with the chromecast and I'm able to change the name and connect to it. But through my chrome browser it does not locate the chromecast.

Any suggestions? Oh I've already checked through Google's site and I do have a dual band router. AP Isolation is already disabled prior to the installation.

Thank you in advance.

David Byrne

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
I setup using my win 7 wifi laptop, then On my wireless windows 8 desktop where I loaded the cast chrome extension I can share music, tab etc. After chromecast is setup using a wifi device, you can cast using a computer wired into the same router that the chromecast is. Try the wired connection.

Do you have IOS or android device to test casting using youtube etc? Email google suppport, they got back to me the next day.

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/google-cast/boadgeojelhgndaghljhdicfkmllpafd?hl=en

howarmat

Trusted Member
Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
same issue here. dual band router AP isolation off and i can see the chromecast just fine with the app but chrome itself doesnt see it. Wifes laptop on the same network does see it. Running windows 8.1 and only windows firewall/defender on my laptop. its odd to say the least

kidkamel

Jun 2, 2012
Visit site
I setup using my win 7 wifi laptop, then On my wireless windows 8 desktop where I loaded the cast chrome extension I can share music, tab etc. After chromecast is setup using a wifi device, you can cast using a computer wired into the same router that the chromecast is. Try the wired connection.

Do you have IOS or android device to test casting using youtube etc? Email google suppport, they got back to me the next day.

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/google-cast/boadgeojelhgndaghljhdicfkmllpafd?hl=en

Yes I am able to access it through my Nexus 7 so I know it works. For whatever reason it just doesn't want to work. I submit a request to google prior to before creating this thread hoping I may get answers prior to them responding.

Chad

kidkamel

Jun 2, 2012
Visit site
So last night I received a firmware update and still unable to connect with my laptop. It works great with my Nexus 7 but it just does not like my laptop. Still waiting for a reply from google, hopefully they'll get back to me today.

mstrblueskys

Q&A Team
Dec 21, 2011
Visit site
I had this issue as well with my dual band router. I fixed it, but it was a bit of a pain to figure out. Hopefully this helps - make sure you have a ethernet cable.

1) Open your router settings (192.168.1.1 or something similar into your address bar - google it if that doesn't work)
2) Enter password (unless you've changed it, it's probably something like Username: admin Password: password - again, google defaults for your router)
3) Turn AP/Wireless isolation ON (I know - that's the opposite of what you're supposed to do, just do it. Also, anything that says something to do with internet isolation is what you're looking for)
4) Plug into your router (you likely won't be able to access your router settings wirelessly anymore)
5) Repeat steps 1 - 3 except this time switch the isolation off

There you have it. You should be able to restart Chrome and have a working stream. I don't know why it doesn't work when the default is off, but that is what I had to do in order to get my hackintosh to find my Chromecast.

kidkamel

Jun 2, 2012
Visit site
I had this issue as well with my dual band router. I fixed it, but it was a bit of a pain to figure out. Hopefully this helps - make sure you have a ethernet cable.

1) Open your router settings (192.168.1.1 or something similar into your address bar - google it if that doesn't work)
2) Enter password (unless you've changed it, it's probably something like Username: admin Password: password - again, google defaults for your router)
3) Turn AP/Wireless isolation ON (I know - that's the opposite of what you're supposed to do, just do it. Also, anything that says something to do with internet isolation is what you're looking for)
4) Plug into your router (you likely won't be able to access your router settings wirelessly anymore)
5) Repeat steps 1 - 3 except this time switch the isolation off

There you have it. You should be able to restart Chrome and have a working stream. I don't know why it doesn't work when the default is off, but that is what I had to do in order to get my hackintosh to find my Chromecast.

Thanks I'll give it a try

mstrblueskys

Q&A Team
Dec 21, 2011
Visit site
No luck still same issue

Sorry if this is insulting, but to better understand your situation, here are some more questions.

1. Did you install the Google Chrome extension?
2. Is your version of Chrome up to date?
3. Have you tried restarting your laptop to see if a refreshed network connection fixes it?
4. Make sure you aren't on the 5Mhz channel.

DreamSTi

Nov 18, 2009
Visit site
I had the exact same issue last night when I received my Chromecast. I had my WiFi networks setup with 2 different names. One was for the standard 2.4ghz and one was for 5ghz. I disabled the 5ghz and the Chromecast connected immediately.

mstrblueskys

Q&A Team
Dec 21, 2011
Visit site
I had the exact same issue last night when I received my Chromecast. I had my WiFi networks setup with 2 different names. One was for the standard 2.4ghz and one was for 5ghz. I disabled the 5ghz and the Chromecast connected immediately.

If you follow my steps above you should be able to use both channels. I found that too, but it drove me nuts having an expensive router that I only got to use half of.

vijay bobbili

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site
Having same issue. Works on one of my laptops and galaxy s4 but doesn't on the second laptop.

I re-installed chrome, deleted all cache, deleted and re-installed the Google cast plug in.. yet no luck. I don't think there is a problem with my router as I am already able to connect from a second laptop.

Absolutely no response or acknowledgement when i submitted this on the Google chromecast support page.

kidkamel

Jun 2, 2012
Visit site
Sorry if this is insulting, but to better understand your situation, here are some more questions.

1. Did you install the Google Chrome extension?
2. Is your version of Chrome up to date?
3. Have you tried restarting your laptop to see if a refreshed network connection fixes it?
4. Make sure you aren't on the 5Mhz channel.

No insult taken, I'm just trying to figure this out and you all are helping which I really appreciate.

So yes I have the extension installed
Chrome Version 28.0.1500.95
Yes restarted multiple times
My laptop doesn't pick up the 5ghz band.

I've also disabled and rebooted my router.

I'm using an ASUS RT-N65R router. I've even contacted ASUS and they were unable to figure it out. We've enabled AP Isolation, rebooted the router, disabled and still nothing.

kidkamel

Jun 2, 2012
Visit site

Tried that nothing, still unable to detect through the extension. I'm able to detect it through the app it installed on my laptop. Firmware on the Chromecast and my router are up to date.

kidkamel

Jun 2, 2012
Visit site
Having same issue. Works on one of my laptops and galaxy s4 but doesn't on the second laptop.

I re-installed chrome, deleted all cache, deleted and re-installed the Google cast plug in.. yet no luck. I don't think there is a problem with my router as I am already able to connect from a second laptop.

Absolutely no response or acknowledgement when i submitted this on the Google chromecast support page.

I agree with you, I'm debating on keeping it. It works great with my Nexus 7 but why do I need to mirror Netflix or Youtube when I can access it through my BluRay or my AppleTV. I know it's only $35 and who knows what else you can do to it. I have 15 days to return it back to Best Buy so we will see.

jblevins444

Aug 4, 2013
Visit site
I had a similar issue on my Win 7 laptop and I found an application that was creating a VPN tunnel at startup. Once that application was removed the Chromecast device showed up in the list.

kidkamel

Jun 2, 2012
Visit site
Yes please do tell us which application you are talking about, I do not have a VPN setup on my laptop so this would be nice to know what hidden applications I may find on my machine.

picopir8

Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
I had connection issues at first and tried playing around with settings but nothing worked. Then I listed to Roy from "The IT Crowd" and tried turning the router off and back on again. Guess what, it worked. I have had no connection issues since either.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ParkerAdams