Unable to get 5.1 audio from Chromecast

melvin7822

Aug 1, 2013
Visit site
It seems that I can't get 5.1 audio from either Google Play Movie or Netflix on content that I know has 5.1 audio. No matter what I do, the Chromecast only passes 2 channel audio to the receiver. I've tried factory resetting the Chromecast, but no difference. This happens from both my Nexus 7 and Galaxy S III. Has anyone experienced this?

baldbear

Feb 11, 2011
Visit site
Mine doesn't seem to either, HDMI into an Onkyo receiver, only 2 channels from Netflix when it says 5.1 on the TV screen before the video starts.

Roberto Zayas

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
Having the same problem. It seems like the Chromecast can output Dolby Digital Plus without issues. Dolby Digital Plus is supposed to be backwards compatible with Dolby Digital, but for some reason it's not happening with the Chromecast...

okav8or

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
How do you guys have the Chromecast plugged in? Do you have it plugged in directly to your TV's HDMI or through one of your AVR's HDMI port? What I found with my Samsung TV is that while it had an optical digital out for 5.1 sound, it would only output 5.1 if the source was the internal tuner. Any other source would output as only 2-channel. I had to move my Chromecast to be plugged directly into my AVR which is an Onkyo. While I have got Dolby D+ to be output by the Chromecast, in some initial tests with Netflix, I have found it appears there is an issue with the center channel being output with the front right channel. I haven't tested 5.1 from Google Play movies.

mhaider

Apr 11, 2012
Visit site
I have my Chromecast connected to my Pioneer receiver, Netflix shows that have 5.1 play as DD+. I tried a 5.1 movie from Google Play and I got stereo, I am disappointed with that, but hope it gets fixed with an update.

Posted via Android Central App

jr461

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
I am also having difficulty achieving 5.1. My receiver is an Onkyo and I am using the "direct" output, meaning it should play exactly as per the source (same as I have for Fios, where 5.1 on HDMI works fine). When I look at the display on the receiver when playing the movie (used Hunger Games to test since I know it is 5.1), rather than showing 3/2.1 as it would for 5.1, it shows "PCM fs 48kHz". Anyone have any clues? I am using an iPhone 4S to play netflix from the app and both the Chromecast and phone have full wifi signal.

mhaider

Apr 11, 2012
Visit site
I am also having difficulty achieving 5.1. My receiver is an Onkyo and I am using the "direct" output, meaning it should play exactly as per the source (same as I have for Fios, where 5.1 on HDMI works fine). When I look at the display on the receiver when playing the movie (used Hunger Games to test since I know it is 5.1), rather than showing 3/2.1 as it would for 5.1, it shows "PCM fs 48kHz". Anyone have any clues? I am using an iPhone 4S to play netflix from the app and both the Chromecast and phone have full wifi signal.

PCM means the audio has been decoded by the source and is sending the raw signal, for example, my PS3 decodes the audio from a BluRay before sending it down the HDMI cable, my receiver lists it as PCM and is 5.1 or 7.1.

skowalsky

Jul 24, 2013
Visit site
I noticed the same thing with Netflix. I am streaming House of Cards and have to crank up the volume on my AV receiver to hear the dialog, then remember to turn the volume back down when I go back to my regular source - the Dish Network receiver.

Craig King

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
I know this seems rather basic but, have you confirmed your recievers can decode Dolby Digital + content.

I suspect a quick look in a manual or spec sheet on the website can confirm. I think Dolby Digital + is one of the newer specs even more so then Dolby Digital HD, so I have to wonder if that is part of the issue. I also think PCM is a fall back position for the audio. Basically if DD+ can't be decoded just send down 2 channel standard audio.

I have confirmed this works fine on a Marantz NR-1403.

Also if you could provide your AVR model instead of just the company that makes it, we could do allot more to help support your inquiries. There isn't much anyone can do when you just tell them it is broke.

melvin7822

Aug 1, 2013
Visit site
I know this seems rather basic but, have you confirmed your recievers can decode Dolby Digital + content.

I suspect a quick look in a manual or spec sheet on the website can confirm. I think Dolby Digital + is one of the newer specs even more so then Dolby Digital HD, so I have to wonder if that is part of the issue. I also think PCM is a fall back position for the audio. Basically if DD+ can't be decoded just send down 2 channel standard audio.

I have confirmed this works fine on a Marantz NR-1403.

Also if you could provide your AVR model instead of just the company that makes it, we could do allot more to help support your inquiries. There isn't much anyone can do when you just tell them it is broke.

My receiver supports Dolby Digital + just fine with my other devices. It just seems like the Chromecast is the odd one out. I just received my replacement Chromecast and I still have the same problem. Even the Netflix app doesn't show a 5.1 audio option for content that is in 5.1.

Craig King

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
Could you please post what your AVR is.

Not all Netflix content has DD+ 5.1 audio. What did you test with. I can tell you absolute certainty "The Hunger Games" works.

Posted via Android Central App

Last edited:

ram130

Jul 30, 2013
Visit site
IT DOESN'T MATTER the AV AT THIS POINT, WE ARE SURE IT SUPPORTS DD+!!!

And Yes we KNOW not all content has DD+, Netflix makes it clear which is.

Jeez man, I have the same issue, do you think we are stupid or something? We've all tried, connecting to the TV directly and using optical(well I did), connecting it directly to the AV. We only get stereo. Something is WRONG with ChromeCast with a good amount of AV receivers, I get DD+ just fine via my Roku with Netflix and I'm sure others here as well with other devices.

I'm done.

Craig King

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
Look I am not trying to be insulting. I am trying to help. But to do so I am asking for a little bit of information. I have worked in support of various services for a long time, and almost always the first thing needed is to gather more information to provide a complete picture. Once that picutre is complete then research how that picture is working and should work, and provide feed back. That is the basic idea of troubleshooting.

In this scenerio what AVR is being used and how everything is connected are very important parts of the equiation.

The example you provided of trying optical out is a good example of why the whole picture is needed. DD+ won't work through Optical/Coax SPDIF connection based on the spec for DD+.

Last edited:

PhobicCarrot

May 24, 2013
Visit site
My CC is plugged directly into my Marantz SR7001. Even when no media is playing, I only get stereo. When I play a Netflix movie that has DD5.1 through my WD TV Live Hub (also plugged directly into the 7001 via HDMI), it plays the 5.1 fine, but through the CC no dice. In fact, the Netflix app on the phone (and also my iPad) only give the option of stereo audio.

Craig King

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
If the netflix app is only showing strereo it isn't passing 5.1 to the CC in the first place.

I just checked the manual on Marantz website and there is no mention of support for DD+ in the manual for your reciever. This is shown on pages 44 and 45 of your recievers manual . It also only supports HDMI v.1.2 input and 1.1 output. Your reciever won't be able to process the DD+ Bit stream.

The WD Live TV Hub probably has a valid decoder for DD+ since it is a streaming device. I am speculating on that, but it seems reasonable since it has Optical out for audio. Haveing a valid decoder for DD+ means it can down convert DD+ to DD5.1 which is compatiable for your reciever.

Devlyn16

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
Personally I am beginning to wonder if it has to do with the DEVICE used to cast. What I mean is if I am casting Netflix from my nexus 10, the Netflix app identifies the Nexus 10 as being a 2 Chanel stereo device and only sends a 2 channel stereo signal.

Craig King

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
Very reasonable thought but that doesn't follow my experience. I casted from my N10 when I watched The Hunger Games and got DD+ decoding. I am really thinking to many people are use to there streamer devices decoding and converting DD+ to DD5.1 and thinking they were getting DD+ because the resulting output is still multichannel and detected as Dolby Digtal of some sort. What would really be the trick is if the SOC in the CC can decode the DD+ stream and down-convert to DD5.1 when plugged into anything that is not HDMI v1.3 that would be best. I just don't think the CC is able to do it even if we wanted it to.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol