Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #26  

Default Re: Do you leave your Chromecast "ON" or plugged in 24/7?

Quote Originally Posted by scaots View Post
    I have mine plugged into my Onkyo receiver with the extender and didn't think it was too hot but will check more since it is in the back of a cabinet. It is powered from the receiver USB and does stay on when the receiver is off/standby.
    I find it interesting that some find that the extender seems to make it cooler. I would suspect that this is due to a) more air flow farther from the device plugged into or b) the device plugged into is dissipating a good bit of heat and plugging directly in absorbs some of that.
    That's a good point too, it was much cooler on the 46" LED Samsung where the HDMI slots were further towards the edge of the TV. The Vizio has the slots right in the middle of all the hardware.

ROM
    Stock

"1st" had my Chromecast plugged into the back of my tv(HDMI &USB)....BUT.... Then lose the function of being able to turn ON YOUR TV Via the ChromeCast, cuz theres no power running to the tv's usb port when the tv is off. So after my first week of using it, i switched to using the wall plug that comes with the ChromeCast and have not had one problem.
    Quad-Core Power!!!

Global Posts
    5 Global Posts

I have one of those power strips that's supposed to cut down on phantom power drain from devices. My AV Receiver is the master port and shuts off all my other devices when it's in sleep mode. One of those devices is the xbox360 which I was pleased to find had usb ports that provided enough power to power the Chromecast while it was sleeping. So my Chromecast is powered off for most of the day, but when I get home I tend to power on my receiver so the Chromecast is on. Having it powered by the xbox really helps when using the hdmi-cec functions of it.

Well, now that we've had this conversation on whether leaving it on is a good thing, my wife decided that since we're going out of town, she would like that whole power strip turned off (which we've never done before). I asked why and she "doesn't want the house lit up by that thing all weekend".

Quote Originally Posted by jaredsutter View Post
    Mine is plugged into the wall. The benefit to me is that I don't even have to turn on the TV. When I want to listen to music, I can start up the chromecast from any room in the house, and the TV automatically turns on and switches to the correct input
    It won't do this for me sadly.. Got a new 60' LG plasma. Doesn't bother me much though.. It just didn't want to fire up my TV.

Sent from my T-Mobile HTC One using AC Forums.

Quote Originally Posted by Almeuit View Post
    It won't do this for me sadly.. Got a new 60' LG plasma. Doesn't bother me much though.. It just didn't want to fire up my TV.
    I had to enable this in my TV's settings panel. Try looking through there for an option; you have to tell the TV to let HDMI peripherals turn it on, otherwise it won't let them.
    Resident idiot

Global Posts
    945 Global Posts
    ROM
    Harmonia 3, Stock

my TV is too old to do CEC but i cant leave my CC on 24/7 or else it looses connection from my router and i cant cast to it and the only fix is to reboot the router. so i unplug it when im not home
    Galaxy S3 (d2vzw): CM11
    LG Optimus V: TVALL ICS
    Motorola Droid: CM10
    Sero 7 Pro: davemper CM11

Global Posts
    308 Global Posts
    ROM
    AOSPx

I leave it unplugged and plug it in when I want to use it. I also use the TV's USB port, so I have to turn on the TV to use the Cast. I don't like leaving things on, even if it isn't much power. Perhaps I have missed getting the two OTA updates, but they didn't add much anyway.

I have mine plugged into the back of my A/V receiver and it is powered by the wall plugin. Because it would be inconvenient to unplug either the power or the Chromecast itself frequently, I have left it plugged in since day 1. I haven't noticed any problems or lack of connection yet.

I worried at first because it gets a little warm, but I've had mine powered up for two weeks without issue.

Quote Originally Posted by jaredsutter View Post
    Mine is plugged into the wall. The benefit to me is that I don't even have to turn on the TV. When I want to listen to music, I can start up the chromecast from any room in the house, and the TV automatically turns on and switches to the correct input
    Thanks for the great tip... the only problem is that my TV turns on, but won't switch to the correct HDMI input... any ideas?

Hi

Just got my Chromcast and i love it and like this post because i had questions about the power on and so on
    Great info and tips

Thanks guys !

I know when my TV is off, it doesn't show where I go to cast it my TV. When my TV is on my TV's show in my cast area.

I've had mine plugged into the tv usb for about a month. Now I am having issues connecting with google cast. I have been talking to support..may be a heat issue..it was never off for 1 whole month..got extremely hot. dunno..anyone else with these issues? I have 2, may return this one to best buy.

Global Posts
    374 Global Posts
    ROM
    stock

I don't have any problems with mine. I don't use it that much but when I do it is usually a couple hours for a movie or music. Mine is in the back of a cabinet behind my receiver, so plenty of heat in there when in use.

Sent from my HTC One GPe using AC Forums app

Quote Originally Posted by scaots View Post
    I don't have any problems with mine. I don't use it that much but when I do it is usually a couple hours for a movie or music. Mine is in the back of a cabinet behind my receiver, so plenty of heat in there when in use.

Sent from my HTC One GPe using AC Forums app
    Dittio...No problem with mine either.

Mine is plugged in to the USB port on my TV right next to an HDMI port. It goes off with the TV.
    Pat

Galaxy Nexus 10 - stock KitKat 4.4.4
    Galaxy Nexus 7 (2nd Generation) - stock KitKat 4.4.4
    Chromecast
    Nexus 5 - stock KitKat 4.4.4
    Zee

Global Posts
    639 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by patruns View Post
    Mine is plugged in to the USB port on my TV right next to an HDMI port. It goes off with the TV.
    Same setup for me.
    A proud former Nexus 4 Limbo level-2 member

Mine is always connected and doesn't get too hot. It is warm when the TV is on obviously cause the TV is running warm.

Posted via Android Central App

I move it between my big plasma in my living room, and my smaller LCD in my bedroom. Both TVs have USB ports that I can use to power my Chromecast, but they seem to work differently.

On my plasma, when I turn off the TV power is also seemingly cut from the Chromecast. Power it back on and the lights indicating it has power come back on.

The older LCD set in my bedroom? It'll remain powered even when the TV is turned off.

I tend to unplug it when I'm not using it because the lights on the back will still blink occasionally (go from white to red), which I find distracting while watching TV in a dark room. Not sure if moving it around caused it, but over the weekend I was having massive issues getting it to connect to my main network while plugged in to my plasma. Kept telling me it couldn't connect. I restarted the router and everything else that connects to it was able to hit the Internet just fine, but the Chromecast still had issues. Plugged it into my bedroom TV, which is closer to the router, and it worked fine. Took it out to my living room again, and it worked fine.

Global Posts
    12 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by cammykool View Post
    my TV is too old to do CEC but i cant leave my CC on 24/7 or else it looses connection from my router and i cant cast to it and the only fix is to reboot the router. so i unplug it when im not home
    This is what mine does. Everytime I want to use it I have to reset it and then sometimes multiple tries. Maybe I have a bad device. I am very unhappy with it to be honest.
    Resident idiot

Global Posts
    945 Global Posts
    ROM
    Harmonia 3, Stock

Quote Originally Posted by bcbenton View Post
    This is what mine does. Everytime I want to use it I have to reset it and then sometimes multiple tries. Maybe I have a bad device. I am very unhappy with it to be honest.
    it seems to work fine on my Grandmothers netwok beofre i went back hom to CO
    Galaxy S3 (d2vzw): CM11
    LG Optimus V: TVALL ICS
    Motorola Droid: CM10
    Sero 7 Pro: davemper CM11

I left my Chromecast plugged in to my 46' Visio for about a week after receiving it. After that week, I watched a full length movie on it and my Visio started having HDMI failures. It slowly deteriorated over the next week and now it's main board needs to be replaced.

Has anyone else experienced this? I hesitate to blame it on the Chromecast as I haven't been able to find anyone else with this experience.
    I am worried that the using the wall power adapter is too much for long term plugging in.

Cheers.

I've had mine on 24/7 for over a month without any problems

Thumbs up Re: Do you leave your Chromecast "ON" or plugged in 24/7?

I came to the forums to find my answer about my chrome cast blinking. You guys are hilarious..electrical tape.So far it doesn't bother me..but now that all of you mentioned it I probably will be using the same tactic...lol
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast