Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Do you leave your Chromecast "ON" or plugged in 24/7?

I noticed that even when I shut down all my devices, including the TV, the chromecast stays powered up, with the indicator light?
    I understand that it does get hot while in use, but is okay to leave it plugged in all the time?

It does the same thing on a 4 y.o. Vizio and a new Samsung 46" LED.

Default Re: Do you leave your Chromecast "ON" or plugged in 24/7?

Sure!

I leave my desktop powered up (it goes to sleep), I leave my Nexus 7 on, I leave my phone on. There's no moving parts in the Chromecast, it's better to just leave it on.

Before the Chromecast, I had a Roku, and it would just be in a "stand-by" mode when not in use and I'm sure the Chromecast does the same thing.

Leaving it on allows your phone, tablet or computer to find it on your network and begin streaming without having to do any set up work. With it on standby, heat shouldn't be an issue as there is no or minimal data transmission going on.
    Thanked by:

True. If you "turn it off" it may forget things. That would be something to cover for our FAQ.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 4 Beta
    ---
    Proud owner of a Moto X, Nexus 7, and Nexus 10.
    Bill Newman1 likes this.
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Thanks for the information, I'll test the temp when I get home this afternoon. (I left it plugged in to see, with the TV off)

Both of my Chromecasts stay plugged into the USB port on the two TV's they are connected to. Haven't noticed the lights being on when the TV's aren't on. When I turn the TV on and stream to the they are ready as soon as I am.

Great little devices. I have 2 more on back order.
    Thanked by:

Mine is plugged into the USB port of the TV so it does shut down with the TV. The main problem with that is someone could power off while the firmware is updating.

The one chromecast that I have at my house is plugged into the back of my A/V receiver and it gets its power from a USB port on teh back of our cable box. It's great because even when you turn off the cable box, the usb ports still have power running through them so everything can be off (tv, speakers, xbox, dvd player, cable box etc.) but the chromecast still gets power so it can update or whatever.
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    535 Global Posts

Ya Know that's a great point with this auto updates. Say it is in the process of updating and you have an outage or someone turns the TV off. I guess this is why I use the power adapter that came with it. At least it eliminates on of those two possibilities.

AT&T HTC One MoDaCo.Switch Beta 8
    Nexus 7 2013 Unlocked Root + TWRP
    Chromecast

Quote Originally Posted by shiner#AC View Post
    Both of my Chromecasts stay plugged into the USB port on the two TV's they are connected to. Haven't noticed the lights being on when the TV's aren't on. When I turn the TV on and stream to the they are ready as soon as I am.

Well, that proves that it doesn't forget anything (network info, etc) if it gets powered off. Which is good to know.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD
    ---
    Proud owner of a Moto X, Nexus 7, and Nexus 10.

Quote Originally Posted by Reptile1990 View Post
    The one chromecast that I have at my house is plugged into the back of my A/V receiver and it gets its power from a USB port on teh back of our cable box. It's great because even when you turn off the cable box, the usb ports still have power running through them so everything can be off (tv, speakers, xbox, dvd player, cable box etc.) but the chromecast still gets power so it can update or whatever.
    Thanks for the tip about the cable box USB port.
    I think your skills are improving.
    Moto X
    Nexus10 2012
    2 Nexus 7 2013s [My Children's]
    Thanked by:

Quote Originally Posted by shiner#AC View Post

Great little devices. I have 2 more on back order.
    Same here. When I power down the TV it shuts off

Quote Originally Posted by mattopotamus View Post
    Same here. When I power down the TV it shuts off
    Mine is plugged into the wall. The benefit to me is that I don't even have to turn on the TV. When I want to listen to music, I can start up the chromecast from any room in the house, and the TV automatically turns on and switches to the correct input
    Ntchwaidumela and itamarb like this.

Quote Originally Posted by jaredsutter View Post
    Mine is plugged into the wall. The benefit to me is that I don't even have to turn on the TV. When I want to listen to music, I can start up the chromecast from any room in the house, and the TV automatically turns on and switches to the correct input
    I can see that being very beneficial. For me personally I only listen to music when I drive or work out. I am waiting for HBO go to get app support and then I can sell my ATV.

Glad I could help!
    Ntchwaidumela likes this.

When my TV is it doesn't show Chromecast on my cast button (Living Room is faded out), when my TV is on it does. So, I think there might be some sort of power saving mode it goes to when the TV turns off or something.

I did not want mine on all the time so I went from plugging it into the wall to using the USB port in the TV.
    Now it turns on and off with the TV power and works just fine and dandy.
    I am consistently surprised at the picture quality of YouTube and Netflix using the WiFi signal through my phone.

Mav.

I am polymerized tree sap and you are an inorganic adhesive, so whatever verbal projectile you launch in my direction is reflected off me, returns on its original trajectory and adheres to you.

Global Posts
    535 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by VW Maverick View Post
    I did not want mine on all the time so I went from plugging it into the wall to using the USB port in the TV.
    Now it turns on and off with the TV power and works just fine and dandy.
    I am consistently surprised at the picture quality of YouTube and Netflix using the WiFi signal through my phone.

Mav.
    The whole cast thing is a bit misleading. You are not actually streaming the video from the phone or tablet you are controlling from. Your simply telling the device, hey, I want to watch file x, and it connects to Netflix or youtube to stream it directly.

AT&T HTC One MoDaCo.Switch Beta 8
    Nexus 7 2013 Unlocked Root + TWRP
    Chromecast
    Thanked by:

I have never even considered unplugging it. I plugged it in, set it up, and haven't looked at it since.

That damn light is too bright. Lights up the bedroom. I covered it up with electrical tape. I do this for all the stupid devices that insist on having a light when in the Off position.
    Nexus 6 (soon)
    Samsung Galaxy Note 2
    Samsung Galaxy Tab S 10.5"
    Chromecast
    Vizio Co-Star

Same here. I originally had mine plugged straight into my receiver and the heat was very noticeable. Once i added the HDMI extender that came with it the heat dropped considerably. Maybe give that a try...

Quote Originally Posted by AnnDroid View Post
    That damn light is too bright. Lights up the bedroom. I covered it up with electrical tape. I do this for all the stupid devices that insist on having a light when in the Off position.
    Yeah, stupid bright. And it blinks, even when my TV is off.
    Android Central Editor in Chief

Global Posts
    4,156 Global Posts

Thanked by 3:
  24. Thread Author  Thread Author    #24  

Quote Originally Posted by AnnDroid View Post
    LOL....SO bright. Finding electrical tape as we speak.

Quote Originally Posted by Daman Q View Post
    Same here. I originally had mine plugged straight into my receiver and the heat was very noticeable. Once i added the HDMI extender that came with it the heat dropped considerably. Maybe give that a try...
    Agreed. Mine got hotter than my OCed GNex ever got, like it was in the car in Texas heat all day hot. Extender does help a bit, longer distance so more resistance???

Cool! Thanks Phil!

Global Posts
    379 Global Posts
    ROM
    stock

I have mine plugged into my Onkyo receiver with the extender and didn't think it was too hot but will check more since it is in the back of a cabinet. It is powered from the receiver USB and does stay on when the receiver is off/standby.
    I find it interesting that some find that the extender seems to make it cooler. I would suspect that this is due to a) more air flow farther from the device plugged into or b) the device plugged into is dissipating a good bit of heat and plugging directly in absorbs some of that.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast