Wired PC to Chromecast

Milkman00

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
That's exactly what I did and it WORKED.

To clarify, those of you who have Chromecast working properly on other devices but cannot connect through a WIRED/ETHERNET pc, you should look in your router settings for anything relating to IGMP and DISABLE it.

After disabling, I rebooted my router. Once Chromecast reconnected my Chrome browser saw the Chromecast device and could cast perfectly.

I wouldn't disable ANYTHING IGMP, but definitely the Proxy looks good to disable.

dancandy

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
I wouldn't disable ANYTHING IGMP, but definitely the Proxy looks good to disable.

Now that you mention it, that's probably a good idea. IGMP Proxy only, for starters. My router only had that one set of options relating to IGMP and another user I spoke to; their router referred to it as IGMP Snooping. In both cases, when disabled, Chrome detected the Chromecast device. Hence, my blanket statement of "anything IGMP"

Milkman00

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
Now that you mention it, that's probably a good idea. IGMP Proxy only, for starters. My router only had that one set of options relating to IGMP and another user I spoke to; their router referred to it as IGMP Snooping. In both cases, when disabled, Chrome detected the Chromecast device. Hence, my blanket statement of "anything IGMP"

As you can see though I had to enable IGMP snooping to get mine to work. :)

Christopher Piper

Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
The .EXE that you download from google.com/chromecast/setup is JUST for setting up the device (which has to be done via WiFi). Once that is done though, any chromecast controller can find it. That .EXE is not a controller, instead, you need do download an extension for Chrome called Google Cast. THAT is what will find the chromecast and allow streaming a chrome tab to it. You don't have to ever download that .exe from the setup page if you've already set it up from an android device.

Leob19

Sep 16, 2013
Visit site
Hello Guys,

I have a similar issue. The help centre told me to Enable IGMP and disable IGMP Proxy. Which works for wired purposes.

However, I still have a rather complex issue. At home I have the following configuration:

- A Cisco EPC3925 router that provides DHCP and wireless signal inthe living room.
- A TP-Link WR841N router, configured as an access point (DHCP disabled) connected to the router via ethernet (lan port to lan port). The AP provides wireless signal for the rooms. The wireless signal provided by TP-Link has same SSID and security as the cisco router.

The Cisco and TP-Link machines operate on same network (i.e. IP structures)

Most of the time the chromecast connects to the Cisco wireless (because signal is stronger). When this is the case, any computer connected on the TP-Link ( via lan or wireless) or connected via Lan to Cisco router will not be able to see the chromecast (i.e. chome extension says that device is missing)

However, If I disable Cisco's wireless, the chromecast then automatically switches to the access point's (TP-Link) wireless. When this is the case, computers connected via wire to the Cisco Router will see the chromecast and will be able to cast content.

In resume: A computer conected by wire to the Cisco machine will be able to cast content if Chromecast is connected to TP-Link's wireless, but not if chromecast is connected to Cisco's wireless. Any suggestions? I did not find AP-Isolation settings on Cisco's parameters.

Thank you

jeanphilt

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
Here is the SOLUTION (that worked for me) :
1- go to Start / Control Panel / Device Manager / Network cards
2- disable all VMWare adapters

To go to the device manager, you can also :
Start / Run / type : mmc devmgmt.msc

Drownedinsound

Sep 23, 2012
Visit site
So i'm having a similar problem. For whatever reason Chrome is not recognizing the chromecast on my network. I can ping it, I can cast from my phone with out a problem, but Chrome simply will not pick it up. I'm running a Linksys Wireless-N Home Router (WRT120N) basic setup, nothing crazy, the chromecast works fine on it but for the life of me I cannot get Chrome to pick it up. I'm running Win7, i've disabled Avast, rebooted my pc, chrome, chromecast, and my router. Any ideas?

Groundhound

Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
So i'm having a similar problem. For whatever reason Chrome is not recognizing the chromecast on my network. I can ping it, I can cast from my phone with out a problem, but Chrome simply will not pick it up. I'm running a Linksys Wireless-N Home Router (WRT120N) basic setup, nothing crazy, the chromecast works fine on it but for the life of me I cannot get Chrome to pick it up. I'm running Win7, i've disabled Avast, rebooted my pc, chrome, chromecast, and my router. Any ideas?

Did you install the Google Cast extension into Chrome? This is different than the Chromecast installation app. https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/google-cast/boadgeojelhgndaghljhdicfkmllpafd

baddams

Jul 6, 2011
Visit site
I didn't have any of the things mentioned above to disable in the Network adapters tab. So, I went through one by one disabling and re-enabling them and eventually I found the right one that FINALLY let me cast.

Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
All I had to do after unsuccessfully trying other options on my Win Xp desktop, was download the Cast extension from the Google Store (from chrome browser click Tools>Extensions>Get More Extensions>search for "Cast" and install it, then click the Google Cast icon to activate the extension and with my TV on the channel that Chromecast dongle was conntected to and powered up via USB port, BAMM! I'm casting from my desktop PC. lol

sadly, the same choppy video and audio I get when casting from my laptop happens when casting from my desktop (Hulu, Netflix) only my S3 casts without this problem.

mavrrick

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
I just said this is another thread. Hulu and Netflix are natively supported apps. Don't do tab casting in chrome to play them. Use the casting option built into their web apps to tell the CC what to play directly from Netflix and Hulu.

davidsky1

Dec 9, 2015
Visit site
was having the issue of not seeing the chromecast from my wired PC despite a shared router i.e.
Router A > Wifi > Chromecast
Router A > Ethernet CAT5E > PC

Went into Network settings and noticed the PC's connection was marked as public and hence network discovery was turned off. Enabled network discovery and now I can cast from tabs etc.

Suamere

Nov 23, 2016
Visit site
@mavrrick - The term "Cast" can be confusing. But you don't "Cast From" your laptop or "Cast From" your PC. When you Cast, you don't cast the video. What essentially happens is that the app that is casting tells the ChromeCast "Hey, play this audio/video". Then the ChromeCast goes to the internet itself and plays it. The feed comes from the source to the ChromeCast, not from the source to your laptop to the chromecast. That means; After "Casting", you can shut down your phone, laptop, pc, and the ChromeCast still plays, because all you sent it was a URL. The ChromeCast doesn't care about your device, it uses its own WiFi to go directly to the source. The only connection it has to your device is to receive URL's and control functionality like Name, Volume, WiFi setup, etc.