Interesting find

prashramani12

Apr 26, 2012
Visit site
So I didn't find this anywhere on this forum, nor did anyone tell me it was possible, so I thought I'd share it. I apologize if this is old news.

So I've been moving my CC around my house to different TV's, almost every single on has a USB port on the TV already, so it did not require me to connect to the AC Power adapter. Cool Beans. But when I moved the CC to the TV in my room (a 2007(?) Polaroid LCD TV), I realized that it does not have a usb port on it, I guess USB ports only started popping up on TV's around then, maybe only on more expensive TV's (this is a budget TV, VERY budget).

So I figured I'd just connect it to AC power, but the cable dangles and is very ugly to look at and I didn't want to deal with the ugliness, but then a thought ran through my brain, "can the chromecast be plugged in (usb) to a different device besides the TV/AC adapter to get power?". So I tried it instead of looking up the answer (YOLO) and plugged the usb cable into my DirecTV set top box and what do you know, it actually works, I thought it wouldn't. But I guess it makes sense, it just needs to draw power from somewhere.

Now is this a bad idea? Is something going to explode? So far it seems to be working fine, and is a nice solution for people who don't want to connect to AC power for any reason. And since most set top boxes, blu-ray players, game consoles, etc. have usb ports, it renders the AC adapter useless to me, (except as a spare phone/tablet charger)

Anyway, just passing along the news. Also side-note, I LOVE my Chromecast. It is limited at launch in terms of capability, but it has potential to be something awesome. But the services that are available work very well, especially Play Music. I am really enjoying blasting my music collection through my speaker system. I think once the backordering period is over, I'm going to order one or two more. It's a steal at 35 bucks.

iOS Gravity

Mar 9, 2013
Visit site
So I didn't find this anywhere on this forum, nor did anyone tell me it was possible, so I thought I'd share it. I apologize if this is old news.

So I've been moving my CC around my house to different TV's, almost every single on has a USB port on the TV already, so it did not require me to connect to the AC Power adapter. Cool Beans. But when I moved the CC to the TV in my room (a 2007(?) Polaroid LCD TV), I realized that it does not have a usb port on it, I guess USB ports only started popping up on TV's around then, maybe only on more expensive TV's (this is a budget TV, VERY budget).

So I figured I'd just connect it to AC power, but the cable dangles and is very ugly to look at and I didn't want to deal with the ugliness, but then a thought ran through my brain, "can the chromecast be plugged in (usb) to a different device besides the TV/AC adapter to get power?". So I tried it instead of looking up the answer (YOLO) and plugged the usb cable into my DirecTV set top box and what do you know, it actually works, I thought it wouldn't. But I guess it makes sense, it just needs to draw power from somewhere.

Now is this a bad idea? Is something going to explode? So far it seems to be working fine, and is a nice solution for people who don't want to connect to AC power for any reason. And since most set top boxes, blu-ray players, game consoles, etc. have usb ports, it renders the AC adapter useless to me, (except as a spare phone/tablet charger)

Anyway, just passing along the news. Also side-note, I LOVE my Chromecast. It is limited at launch in terms of capability, but it has potential to be something awesome. But the services that are available work very well, especially Play Music. I am really enjoying blasting my music collection through my speaker system. I think once the backordering period is over, I'm going to order one or two more. It's a steal at 35 bucks.

The power source doesn't matter as long as it provides enough power.

prashramani12

Apr 26, 2012
Visit site
Right, I just thought that with set top boxes and such, they only accept USB for media transferring, not power transferring. in any case, I was pleasantly surprised

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol