Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Craig King
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Casting Chrome browser?

Okay, what am I missing? Got my chromecast today, hooked it up and working great with Netflix, Play ant YouTube. What I can't figure out is how to cast the chrome browser from my nexus 7 to the TV. There is no cast symbol in the browser and nothing in settings.

Default Re: Casting Chrome browser?

It is my understand that currently you can only cast a chrome tab that is running on a computer.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

One of the main reasons I got it was to stream from my tablets browser to the TV. I hope they change this.

Global Posts
    1,431 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

They never promised that tablet browsers would work immediately, just computer-based Chrome and that's just in beta. You assumed incorrectly based on what was out there. (It's like a can opener then using it to drive nails and complaining that it doesn't work like you want.) They will probably expand casting to device-based Chrome eventually, but it's going to take time.
    "The OnePlus One is such a big black slab of power that if you dropped it down in the middle of a pack of monkeys, they'd start using weapons." - Dirk Belligerent.
    Devices: 64GB OnePlus One, 32GB Nexus 5, 16GB Nexus 7 (2013), 16GB Nexus 4, ASUS Transformer TF101, Kindle Fire, HP TouchPad (CM7)

They don't say anything in the advert that it won't work from a tablet. This is released as competition for apple TV and roku. On of the big selling points is the ability to cast a browser, which it does, but only if u run it off a computer. I got a 30 inch 2560x1600 monitor and Dolby digital 7.1 surround on my desktop. Why would I go to my office start a program and then leave that to walk back to my living room to watch it on a 46 inch 1080p television with 5.1 surround? That's a lot of extra work for very little gain.

Global Posts
    60 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Vanzir View Post
    They don't say anything in the advert that it won't work from a tablet. This is released as competition for apple TV and roku. On of the big selling points is the ability to cast a browser, which it does, but only if u run it off a computer. I got a 30 inch 2560x1600 monitor and Dolby digital 7.1 surround on my desktop. Why would I go to my office start a program and then leave that to walk back to my living room to watch it on a 46 inch 1080p television with 5.1 surround? That's a lot of extra work for very little gain.
    Sweet setup.....I have a 15" laptop. I can cast to my 60" tv with 7.1 surround. Very little work for a lot of gain. It's all in how you spin your plight. To imply (notice I didn't say that you "said") that casting a browser from a PC isn't worth it is preposterous.

Quote Originally Posted by Vanzir View Post
    They don't say anything in the advert that it won't work from a tablet.
    Can you please show me a company that makes a point of telling you what there product won't do. The simple truth is everything from Google makes a point of Chrome from the desktop and nothing else.
    Craig
    Phone :: BB880>>BB9000>>Captivate>>Galaxy Note1
    Tablet :: B&N Nook >> Xoom >> Nexus 10
    Game/Mini-PC :: Zealz G802 >> Ouya
    Grndlvl likes this.

Lets start with that I find Chromcast to be a great, cheap little devise for playing Netflix or any of the other Chrome add ons for my laptop PC. I was also one of those expecting to be able to cast more than just the Youtube app from my android phone, which was disappointing. Bought last week, and at the cost point I am very happy with the purchase so far.

While technically I have to agree that no where in Googles advertising for Chromecast does it SAY it will or will not cast chrome browser tabs from an android devise, it could be considered misleading and in my consumer eye it sure does imply it. And the Google spokes person stationed at the BestBuy def sold the item as an "if you can play it in a chrome browser, now you can play it on your TV, weather on your Laptop or mobile devise".

To be fair to consumers Google really should put a disclaimer (call it CYA, Google) that the software is in beta and that only specific apps are available on mobile, but that there is "more to come". It would stop a lot of complaining later (and we wouldn't be having discussions like this). Its a marketing oversight that's all. It should not be looked at as "advertising what your product can't do", being upfront with the buyer is a good thing, lends a sense of honesty to the company and the product. Google has not always been cast in a good light with the consumer (data gathering etc) and black eyes like this are remembered by the consumer, and easily avoided, in my opinion with a little bit of 8pt type.

I do find it odd that they designed the computer use around the Chrome app but on the mobile side they went the opposite direction and everything seems based on an individual apps ability to cast. Maybe it is a CPU power issue as a previous poser said, but it sure seems backward and confusing...and again not explained at all in the advertising or the 1x3" instruction booklet with almost unreadable type that comes with the devise.

This is a lot to do about nothing...unless you bought the devise under the impression it could cast from your phone, then you feel kinda lied to by Google, and Google is smarter than to want that. Right Google?

All said love my Chromecast, for all its faults, it does what I need and for $35 its a steal. I would like to see the Android feature added down the line.

Oh...and I just checked...on the back of the box here are the exact words..."Send video or anything on the Web to your TV from your smartphone, tablet, or laptop". That's pretty damning evidence.
    Last edited by jhaven007; 09-21-2013 at 07:59 AM.

Global Posts
    357 Global Posts

When trying to use an android device (smartphone, tablet, etc) download https://play.google.com/store/apps/d....camcast&hl=en.

UPDATE: I'm sorry, you're trying to cast the actual Chrome browser from a mobile device and this app (so far) will only allow the official approved apps (YouTube, Netflix, etc.). Per quote from this post, Chromecast Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

"Can you mirror an entire Tab from a Chrome browser on my PC/laptop/phone/tablet?

You can mirror an entire tab from your Chrome browser on your PC or laptop. You will need to install the Chromecast extension in Chrome, and then click the cast button at the top right of the browser. Note: The Chromecast extension for Chrome is still considered a Beta product, and may not work flawlessly.

You cannot currently mirror the Chrome browser from a mobile device (phone or tablet). This feature would probably require root access on the phone/tablet."
    Last edited by Hamp; 09-21-2013 at 09:40 AM.