1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Unable to set up Chromecast with Windows Vista on my PC?

Note: I just ordered my Chromecast from Google Play Store.

I have two PC’s on my wi-fi network, one with Windows 7 (which theoretically CAN be used to set up Chromecast, and one with Windows Vista (which theoretically CANNOT be used to set up Chromecast). Unfortunately, the PC with Windows 7 is in a different room than the TV set, and I guess I would have to be running back and forth during setup to complete the setup process. Assuming this is possible, and the setup is successful, can I thereafter use my Windows Vista PC to cast to the TV, assuming that I also download the same setup app to my Vista PC?

Default Re: Unable to set up Chromecast with Windows Vista on my PC?

I have a Windows 8 computer that I didn't want to disconnect from devices connected to its USB and video-out ports. So I walked between the room that it's in and the room that the TV is in. It's only a couple of times, and all you're really doing at the TV is checking the screen to see if it's displaying what the Chromecast setup software says is being displayed. Setup couldn't be simpler really. I wouldn't worry about having to "run" back and forth numerous times. And if you have an Android device, you can get the setup app for it instead and forget the PCs altogether. BTW, you don't need to install anything except on the device that you will be using for setup. After setup is complete, Chrome browsers and Chromecast-enabled apps will all automatically recognize that Chromecast is on the same WiFi network and automatically display the cast icon.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Thanks for the response, but not sure I understand you…

I plan to use the Windows Vista PC to do all of the casting to the TV, once setup is complete. Are you saying that I will or will not have to install the setup app on my Vista PC? Are you saying that the Vista PC will automatically recognize the Chromecast setup, even though it was done on the Windows 7 PC, and that I can cast media to the TV without doing anything else?
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

I just discovered that for PC’s, Chromecast only supports Windows 7 and higher for casting to a Chromecast enabled TV. Since I don’t plan on upgrading from my Windows Vista operating system on my PC to Windows 7 or higher anytime soon, I’m hoping fervently that Google will update their Chromecast software to include Vista for casting. I know it’s possible to use an Android device to do so, but it’s much more convenient for me to use my Vista PC. So, what are the odds that Google will update their Chromecast software to include Windows Vista?

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Hunt View Post
    I just discovered that for PC’s, Chromecast only supports Windows 7 and higher for casting to a Chromecast enabled TV. Since I don’t plan on upgrading from my Windows Vista operating system on my PC to Windows 7 or higher anytime soon, I’m hoping fervently that Google will update their Chromecast software to include Vista for casting. I know it’s possible to use an Android device to do so, but it’s much more convenient for me to use my Vista PC. So, what are the odds that Google will update their Chromecast software to include Windows Vista?
    Weird.

Right there it shows Windows Vista.
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

That IS weird, because right here it shows Windows 7 as a minimum for casting:

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Hunt View Post
    That IS weird, because right here it shows Windows 7 as a minimum for casting:

I hate it when companies contradict themselves. One thing, supposely Vista and 7 is the same OS but 7 had memory management improves and some other factors that made it run better.

I wish I had a Vista computer left because I would have tested it out for you.
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

Update: Google Cast works on Windows Vista PC’s, but why am I so excited?

Hey, good news for us dwindling users of Windows Vista: (Are there any out there besides myself??) We CAN install the “Google Cast” Extension on the Chrome Browser of our Windows Vista PC’s, and we can now cast to our TV sets just like the big guys. My Vista PC is of the 64 bit variety, and has an Intel Core 2 Quad chip, if that makes the difference in allowing it to work. But it casts flawlessly, and that’s what counts. I originally had to do the set up on my Google Nexus 7 tablet, since the CC software wouldn’t accept Vista for the set up phase. But the functionality of the tablet for casting is not as effective as casting from my PC, so this new development is a real boon.

But…I had to ask myself: Why did I even want to do this “casting” in the first place? I have a 24 inch high-definition monitor, and RELATIVELY speaking, the picture I’m viewing from my monitor is actually larger than the picture on my 32” TV set which is about ten feet away. The answer? Because, like Mount Everest, it is there. In other words, the Chromecast is outstanding technology, and I had to have it because it was so bloody COOL! The fact that the signal actually comes from the cloud, and in HD, is inspirational. And for some inexplicable reason I am thrilled with the ability to display my Internet screen on my TV set. Go figure. All I can say is, let the Chromecast apps begin!

Doctor Hunt, I'm a Vista user and thanks to your post, I got my Chromecast setup. The setup page still says you have to have Windows 7 or higher. I was looking for factory reset instructions when I found your post.

Thanks for the good news! It worked on my VISTA!
    Im so happy!
    I was about to return my chromecast .
    Thanks again!

Anyone know how to set up Chromecast using Vista?