Video Quality on my New Chromecast is Terrible =( (solved)

AlphaVictor87

Jul 5, 2012
Visit site
So i just checked and saw some best buys in the area had chromecasts available so i went and got mine! i was so excited.
However after i got it all set up, i went to cast my first youtube video and the quality on the video is absolutely horrible. Anything fast moving is blocky and grainy.

I don't think this is an issue with my tv as i can cast web pages to it just fine and they look great, just like a huge monitor.
Are there any setting that i need to change within the chromecast? or is this possibly a wifi issue?
I did speed tests on my wifi with my wifes laptop, my S4, my Nexus 7 and the internet speed is around 12 Mbps. The chromecast is also not even 1 foot above the wireless receiver i have on my Xbox 360 and i've never had any lag issues playing online.

If anyone could help that would be great!

Thanks!

Last edited:

Farish

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site
Re: Video Quality on my New Chromecast is Terrible =(

I been running youtube videos today on my Chromcast and have had zero problems with Youtube quality. Have you tried another streaming service like Netflix?

Also have you tried casting from your wife's laptop assuming the computer you have been using was not that one.

AlphaVictor87

Jul 5, 2012
Visit site

Yah we did just try netflix (as somehow today we were still able to get the 3 months free!) and it was just as bad.

So we went and tried it on the different TV's around the house. The only one that was crystal clear was the tv on the opposite side of the wall from the router. So tomorrow when our AT&T guy shows up we are going to ask him if he can move the wiring to a more central location in our house.

So it sounds like it is a wifi issue and not a problem with my chromecast. Yay!

Just have to wait one more day till we can use it in all its glory on our main livingroom tv.

pkcable

Q&A Team Leader, VR Expert
Ambassador
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site

Yes it sounds like a wifi issue. You are probably getting really poor bandwidth at the other TVs and as such Chromecast is adjusting the video quality down to compensate, so you still get a smooth stream. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech