Chromecast app can't find my chrome cast?

MS711

Apr 5, 2014
Visit site
+1 - It was maddening seeing it connect to the network, but the ipad and the android couldn't see the chromecast. Set the channel manually and there it was!

VikingOy

May 10, 2014
Visit site
Check This out:
I have had my ChormeCast for a while, connected to a 2.4Ghz WiFi router an to my Samsung TV through a HDMI switch supports CEC.
I have NEVER - repeat NEVER been able to find my ChromeCast using either the Android nor the iOS app, BUT - all my casting apps works just fine whether from:
Wired Cat5 connection
5Ghz WiFi
2.4Ghz Wifi
Teethered Bluetooth with WiFi spoofing
Cast Plug-in from Chrome on Win7

What more can I think of?
Despite the above list - the ChromeCast app itself fails to find the CC. This is a puzzle, but I couldn't care less since all my CastingApps works just great. :p

whiskyjack_ca

May 10, 2014
Visit site
Not a full on solution, but I've found that simply disabling and enabling the wireless network brings the chromecast back up. I prefer doing this since it doesn't take down my whole network.

I have the chromecast on a reserved IP in my DHCP pool, but that hasn't made a difference.

What I noticed just today when fooling with it, is that it looks like the chromecast keeps it's adhoc network alive even after it's initial setup. I'm only guessing, but I'm suspicious because after I restarted the wireless network, I noticed a "ghost" wireless network that was on another channel, follow over to the channel I've chosen from my network (AFAIK, none of my neighbors use this channel). I call it a ghost wireless network because it's open, but has no SSID. It probably has a real name, but this is the first time i've seen it.

Any ideas? Am I chasing a red herring here?

neu smurph

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Well the Chromecast will switch on it's internal AP briefly when you toggle your wireless network off, but should switch it back off when your wireless network comes back on and it reconnects. Maybe the device you noticed the Ghost AP on keeps a listing of the AP for a while after it disappears?.....

Bazza1

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site
Had the Chromecast for less than a week. Was able to set it up via my Nexus 7 (2012) tablet and it became discoverable and I was able to cast to it from the tablet. Then I downloaded and installed the Chrome browser and its extension on my Mac Air - my intention to only use the browser for video streaming of some favorite sites.

The Chrome browser extension sees, connects and runs without issue (even if it still says its a Beta project) and ditto the Videostream extension (for local files) that piggybacks on the Chromecast extension. I wish the same could be said for the app on Android. More often than not, if I go to the app after a little time, the app can't see the device. Its certainly on the network, because the Chrome browser will see it. The app will scan and scan and then tell me to check for a device or set up a new one. Frustrating.

I've set the Wi-fi router to only run on one channel (no improvement) and it seems the best success still remains that I must do a full reboot of the router in order for the Android app to see the Chromecast again.

Beyond tedious and totally unacceptable for a Google app running on a Google device running Google's OS to be unable to communicate with another Google device - especially when the Chromecast doesn't actually have its own remote.

Come on Google - spend less time conceiving new toys and more time fixing the products you have.

(...and never mind that when it actually does communicate the resulting casting is nearly a lost cause when it comes to video. Choppy, freezes, etc. OK, maybe my N7 hasn't got the horsepower it might, but I know I can't blame my network - the computer > Chrome > Chromecast casts without any such behaviour)

abcd1212

Feb 28, 2012
Visit site
Encountered this same problem for the first time today.
Its worked perfectly up to now.
No clue what went wrong.
Powered off chromecast and rebooted, still nothing.

Wait, per another thread, i rebooted the wifi router and Bam, it works.

thanks... it is work!!!!!! i don't know why my chromecast only play youtube only. after restart my wifi router, work again! thanks!!!!!

gth_au

May 26, 2015
Visit site
Absolutely nothing wrong with my wireless network (neither channels, SSID, DHCP, nor 2.4 vs 5 GHz). What is a problem is the Chromecast ceases to respond to the Chromecast app (although it obviously still has a valid internet connection since it is still pulling satellite photos every few seconds).

Whatever invalid state the Chromecast wireless module is in obviously gets reset when it loses connectivity (either when it is reset, or the router is). Hopefully the next firmware update fixes it...

Last edited:

ryannewell

Apr 21, 2014
Visit site
I tried everything in this forum and it didn't work. Played around a little and after turning off "SSID Guest Mode" the Chromecast icon reappeared in my youtube and Netflix. Also my IP cameras could be seen again. Strange glitch

SteveDpmb

Aug 19, 2016
Visit site
I changed my router after trying everything.
It fixed the problem. Now all devices are connecting.
Had a Tenda w300d changed to Asus DSL ac52u

DJ Bama

Dec 1, 2016
Visit site
i have the same retarded probllem, wont find my chromecast ultra, this suuucks
i hate this problem so much, so first i tried to conect ma chromecast VIA cable, wont work at all, now its connected on the same wireless 2.4 channel as my phone!!! ok, so on the tv the screan says its connected on the bottom left corner it says the name of the chromecast and the says PIN **** so i go to my phone to the google home app and look for it and it cant find it, neither through my laptop which is connected to the same network this suuuucks im so pissed

hnrk242

Jul 24, 2017
Visit site
My problem was that the 5ghz and 2.4Ghz wifi endpoints used the same SSID. The Chromecast (I have v2) seemed fine, but my Android/iOS clients had problems connecting. They would sometimes connect if I turned off wifi, and instead relying on the "discover device" using ultrasonic & pin.

When I renamed the 5ghz endpoint (thus forcing both Chromecast and clients to use the 2.4Ghz endpoint), everything worked fine!

Anto Noel

Nov 28, 2013
Visit site
I just found another possible answer!
The problems starts when I repeatedly switch my Chromecast to some different network WiFi. Then ended up with the Chromecast wouldn't able to cast any from my devices. The Chromecast was able to connect and set-up, but the cast button won't appear in the apps. I've
done all the troubleshooting possibilities.
At the end, I changed my Chromecast name, and voilaa...! The cast button suddenly appears on my cast enabled apps.
I hope this will help on other similar cases.