Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By ne0ne
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Does the TV need built in wifi for chromecast to work, or does Chromecast have wifi receiver ?

I am really interested in this chromecast but the problem is my HDTV does not have built-in wifi, so it made me so confused about getting wifi to chromecast.
    Plus, if chromecast does not have wifi receiver, what device do I still need to purchase to get wifi ?
    Sorry for being so stupid. I have 0 knoledge about technology stuff. Only you guys can help me out with this !!!

Global Posts
    535 Global Posts

Default Re: Does the TV need built in wifi for chromecast to work, or does Chromecast have wifi receiver ?

Quote Originally Posted by Myo Mon View Post
    I am really interested in this chromecast but the problem is my HDTV does not have built-in wifi, so it made me so confused about getting wifi to chromecast.
    Plus, if chromecast does not have wifi receiver, what device do I still need to purchase to get wifi ?
    Sorry for being so stupid. I have 0 knoledge about technology stuff. Only you guys can help me out with this !!!
    There is no such thing as a stupid question.

Yes. The Chromecast has built in WiFi support on 2.4ghz. Its perfect for those without internet television.

You are good to go.

HTC One - MoDaCo.switch /ARHD 12.1 & GE 2.0 + Bulletproof
    Nexus 7 - Cyanogenmod
    Tab 2 7 - Cyanogenmod
    Thanked by:
    Phil Nickinson likes this.

Default Re: Does the TV need built in wifi for chromecast to work, or does Chromecast have wifi receiver ?

Quote Originally Posted by ne0ne View Post
    You are good to go.
    The only problem you will likely encounter is actually finding one!

I have several non-technical friends who were able to get these setup and working with no problems.

Quote Originally Posted by Myo Mon View Post
    The chromecast was made to be compatible with almost any hdmi device. That's why I love it. Both of my flat screens were purchased before the big "smart tv" craze. From the look of it I'm almost glad with all the hacking that's going on since manufacturers really didn't integrate any protection into these. All I know is that you will love the chromecast. I'm going on 2 weeks now and even my kids can use it.

Sent from the Great Galaxy Note 2 using Tapatalk 2
    Android Central Editor in Chief

Global Posts
    4,408 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey47 View Post
    I have several non-technical friends who were able to get these setup and working with no problems.
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil Nickinson View Post
    See, if Phil can do it, anyone can.