4 weeks in..... Where are all the app's?

Legobricke

May 20, 2010
Visit site
I must say that with this item being so popular and being so tough to get, I'm surprised!

Where are all the app's for this thing?

I assumed that with Google opening it up to all app developers with the tools to make it happen, nothing is happening!

I love this device! I want to use it!

Come on! This get it done!

Scott Kenyon

Apr 2, 2011
Visit site
I don't believe the SDK for Chromecast is 100% complete. There are a lot of developers who have no desire to work with an incomplete SDK. Surely when they finalize it and get more units shipped out, you'll see an uptick in development. If I wanted to create something for it, I'm out of luck as I don't have a test device. My Chromecast isn't shipping for another 2-3 weeks.
Those are the reasons, like em or not. You'll see more stuff coming in the near future.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
I must say that with this item being so popular and being so tough to get, I'm surprised!

I assumed that with Google opening it up to all app developers with the tools to make it happen, nothing is happening!

What are you looking for?

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
I don't believe the SDK for Chromecast is 100% complete. There are a lot of developers who have no desire to work with an incomplete SDK. Surely when they finalize it and get more units shipped out, you'll see an uptick in development. If I wanted to create something for it, I'm out of luck as I don't have a test device. My Chromecast isn't shipping for another 2-3 weeks.
Those are the reasons, like em or not. You'll see more stuff coming in the near future.

Adding to this, developer cannot publish Chromecast feature to play store even if the app is ready(since SDK is beta and Google haven't given the green signal yet)

even if the developer publish it to playstore it will only work with one chromecast (ie, the developers device which he/she used to build)

Google has to release app id for every chromecast to work and they wont do it unless the SDK is out of beta

sutton241

Jan 18, 2012
Visit site

Just be patient big guy, one month is really a short time for developers to put out a tested app there coming. I'm waiting too, cant wait for HBO go, I hope tunein radio gets support, redbox instant. They are coming

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 4

renegademoose

May 9, 2011
Visit site
So the real question isnt "where are the apps?" but "When will the SDK be taken off of Beta?"

This is why I have a love/hate relationship with Google. They do a lot great and innovative things, but it seems like everything is perpetually stuck in Beta. If it isn't ready don't release it. Take the time to polish it up and finish it then push your product out.

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
This is why I have a love/hate relationship with Google. They do a lot great and innovative things, but it seems like everything is perpetually stuck in Beta. If it isn't ready don't release it. Take the time to polish it up and finish it then push your product out.

One way to polish it up is by releasing it as beta to developers. Everyone do this, iOS7 is now on beta now.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site

One could argue that Android was a beta up until Jelly Bean.

Shilohcane

Aug 5, 2012
Visit site
As of today, Vimeo and Redbox Instant have confirmed support for Chromecast, reports GigaOm. Others, such as Plex and HBO Go, are assumed to be in the works. And if developers are nearly as excited as buyers about this new device, it's probably safe to assume there will be plenty more video options coming soon.

Also, go look at the Aircast App thread.

pseudoware

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
Chromecast has been great for instant gratification, but I'm going DLNA-certified. If my tablet can talk to my TV, it should be able to stream any damn content on or through the device. Very Apple-esque of Google.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

Legobricke

May 20, 2010
Visit site
Here we are 8 weeks out....

No SDK..... Disappointing.....

Was hoping for a little progress...

I desire my - Vudu / RedBox / Showtime / ESPN / ABC / NBC / CBS / Hulu / From Device Streaming....

Strange that is SDK seems stuck in beta.

Devlyn16

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
Here we are 8 weeks out....

No SDK..... Disappointing.....

Was hoping for a little progress...

I desire my - Vudu / RedBox / Showtime / ESPN / ABC / NBC / CBS / Hulu / From Device Streaming....

Strange that is SDK seems stuck in beta.

If I were a betting man I would place my bets on the SDK coming off of Beta when either KitKat is released or when the Nexus 10 [2013] model is announced/released. Something to create Buzz to promote the Chromecast as a perfect Holiday gift.

mzanette

Zee
Aug 22, 2012
Visit site
If I were a betting man I would place my bets on the SDK coming off of Beta when either KitKat is released or when the Nexus 10 [2013] model is announced/released. Something to create Buzz to promote the Chromecast as a perfect Holiday gift.

Hope you're right. KitKat should debut next month when the Nexus 5 is revealed so it won't be long now.

NoYankees44

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
This would be my thought as well.

It annoys me how Google uses the public to beta test sometimes. I know i should be happy for the opportunity, but the feeling of irritation just works its way in sometimes...