1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Chromecast connected to wi-fi, but can't access the internet

I had my chromecast working perfectly after I set it up the first time. Couple of days back I unplugged it from my downstairs TV and plugged it in the upstairs one. Since then it has completely stopped working. I have done hard reset and fully reconfigure it multiple number of times, but nothing seems to be helping. I have two wi-fi network at home and have tried it on both the network. It connects to the wi-fi router fine, but gives an error "Chromecast connect to <WI-FI SSID NAME>, but can't access the internet. Any ideas? Is it bricked??
    CrackBerrian

Global Posts
    30,719 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock 4.0, iOS 5.1, BB10

Default Re: Chromecast connected to wi-fi, but can't access the internet

Have you tried rebooting your routers?
    Rich C. (PKcable)

Visitor from CrackBerry.com!

A few thoughts.

Have you checked to make sure the signal streght is ok there. That can make a huge difference. By chance do you have possibly have mac filtering or something like it turned on for security. Rebooting the router as suggested is also a great first step.
    Craig
    Phone :: BB880>>BB9000>>Captivate>>Galaxy Note1
    Tablet :: B&N Nook >> Xoom >> Nexus 10
    Game/Mini-PC :: Zealz G802 >> Ouya

remember Chromecast only works on 2.4ghz network so try switching any 5ghz networks off and see if that helps.
    I think your skills are improving.
    Moto X
    Nexus10 2012
    Nexus 7 2013 [Son's]

I can connect my chromecast fine in the living room but I get that same error in the bedroom which I believe is due to a weak wifi signal. Such a pain because i was hoping this would be a nice bedroom Netflix device.
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Thanks all. Rebooted the router and was able to reconnect

here in delhi.
    was working fine till yesterday.
    now is unable to connect to internet with home wifi.
    working just fine with android hotspot..
    resetted the router and chromecast but doesn't help..

Global Posts
    23 Global Posts

I started having a problem with my Chromecast two nights ago and I'm not sure if mine is defective. Mine was working fine and then I moved it to another room to try on that TV. Worked fine. Moved it back to the original TV and can't connect to it. It says "ready to cast", but my cast buttons in my apps are gone. I scanned for wifi devices and it didn't show up in the list like it used to. So, I unplugged, did a hard reset and set it back up. Now it shows up in my wifi list again, but during set up, I get the error "Can't connect with your Chromecast. Your device and the Chromecast may be on different networks that can't communicate." It sends me to a help website to turn off AP Isolation. AP Isolation is already disabled.

Any thoughts? I can't figure out how it can work fine one minute and then suddenly it doesn't.

Quote Originally Posted by Tanooki2 View Post
    I started having a problem with my Chromecast two nights ago and I'm not sure if mine is defective. Mine was working fine and then I moved it to another room to try on that TV. Worked fine. Moved it back to the original TV and can't connect to it. It says "ready to cast", but my cast buttons in my apps are gone. I scanned for wifi devices and it didn't show up in the list like it used to. So, I unplugged, did a hard reset and set it back up. Now it shows up in my wifi list again, but during set up, I get the error "Can't connect with your Chromecast. Your device and the Chromecast may be on different networks that can't communicate." It sends me to a help website to turn off AP Isolation. AP Isolation is already disabled.

Any thoughts? I can't figure out how it can work fine one minute and then suddenly it doesn't.
    just curious to see it the new update helped with your problem.
    Moto X
    Nexus10 2012
    Nexus 7 2013 [Son's]

Global Posts
    23 Global Posts

What new update are you referring to? I tried again last night on a TV right next to my router, in case signal strength was the culprit, but no luck. Also tried plugging the USB into an outlet rather than the TV. Frustrating.

Quote Originally Posted by Tanooki2 View Post
    What new update are you referring to? I tried again last night on a TV right next to my router, in case signal strength was the culprit, but no luck. Also tried plugging the USB into an outlet rather than the TV. Frustrating.
    Chromecast gets another OTA update and a new version of the SDK to go with it | Android Central

Though I haven't been able to get mine to update.
    Moto X
    Nexus10 2012
    Nexus 7 2013 [Son's]

The exact same thing just happened to me too. Worked fine then randomly didn't. I reset the chromecast and turned off/on my modem. Works fine again.

Posted via Android Central App

I solved this problem. Despite the fact that it connects to your network and appears to have good signal strength, Wifi signal is the issue that causes this message. I had the same error, I tried everything for a week to get it to work, was convinced it was my TV, so I did a little test, took my TV out of my bedroom and plugged it in right next to my router and wallah! It worked. Sp I moved my router to a location closer to my bedroom and now Chromecast works perfectly every time. Hope this helps.