Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By booboolala2000
  • 1 Post By Farish
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default What is in it for Big Broadcast

Was just wondering why HBO or any other media company would want this to work?

Think about it. I go over to Bob's house. He doesn't have HBO. I pull up my HBO Go app and stream Game of Thrones. Just playing devils advocate here. Bob doesn't even have cable. Even though I am paying for cable plus HBO subscription. It just seems like they havent "gotten" it yet, why should Big Broadcast get it this time around. Hoping I am just being negative and they finally come around.

HBO may be a bad example.

Posted via Android Central App and my Nexus 4 or 7

Default Re: What is in it for Big Broadcast

Once they're on board for HBO GO as a concept, the size of the screen is a minor detail.

Quote Originally Posted by Unicorn Rancher View Post
    Once they're on board for HBO GO as a concept, the size of the screen is a minor detail.
    Not really. Content companies seem really particular about the size of the screen. For example Hulu requires a "Plus" subscription to use on mobile devices or consoles. The free version is only allowed on computer browsers for some reason. Also, the NFL Mobile app stops working if you plug an MHL or HDMI cable into your device, so you can't watch on anything but your phone/tablet. I'm sure there are other examples.

I could imagine content companies refusing to support Chromecast just because they have hangups with people taking content meant for mobile and putting it on the TV, or for the potential of sharing your subscription like the OP said. We'll see how much support it actually gets going forward.

Global Posts
    173 Global Posts

What's to stop me from plugging my laptop into my TV via HDMI and just watching HBO Go on my TV that way? Nothing, because that's the way it's done now. Look at this as good will for HBO for making it easier for their customers to do what they are already doing.

Quote Originally Posted by ahaxton View Post
    What's to stop me from plugging my laptop into my TV via HDMI and just watching HBO Go on my TV that way? Nothing, because that's the way it's done now. Look at this as good will for HBO for making it easier for their customers to do what they are already doing.
    You can say the same thing about Hulu. That doesn't mean that they will give you another way to make it easy to get the content you want on your big screen. I'm not defending them; I actually agree that it's ridiculous to try to limit how viewers access content. I'm just saying that there is a history of content providers making arbitrary distinctions between the different screens and devices. I have no reason to think that all of the providers will see the light and go through the effort of making all of their content and apps work with the Chromecast, when they have made concerted efforts to stop people from putting content on their TV's in the past. I would love to be proven wrong.

So HBO doesn't become the next victim of NetFlix that took down Blockbuster Video. HBO is losing to the competition that is why HBO needs Chromecast. I can watch the movies that I want with NetFlix and with HBO they keep running 10 to 30 year old movies. NetFlix has original shows like "Orange is the New Black" and "House of Cards" that are great shows that steam only on NetFlix. Everyone is cable cutting and HBO product isn't that good anymore. My Condo association pays for basic cable with HBO and I am trying to get them to drop HBO. There isn't one show on HBO that is worth watching to me. Yes, I have seen Game of Thrones that is good but not my type of show. The Cable is dying due to bundling pricing and the Internet is becoming the new TV distribution system to replace the cable. Internet TV providers like Aereo TV that are cheap are getting a foothold that can stream my local TV to my HDTV, phone or tablet is the future.

The key here is this gives the content providers a tool to break away from the cable and satellite companies. Find a way to charge for the content and then reap a larger portion of the profits. Imagine a Holiday Chromecast that ships not with 3 months of Netflix, but with 3 months of HBOGo, that can then be renewed for $8 a month there after.
    I think your skills are improving.
    Moto X
    Nexus10 2012
    2 Nexus 7 2013s [My Children's]

Quote Originally Posted by Devlyn16 View Post
    The key here is this gives the content providers a tool to break away from the cable and satellite companies. Find a way to charge for the content and then reap a larger portion of the profits. Imagine a Holiday Chromecast that ships not with 3 months of Netflix, but with 3 months of HBOGo, that can then be renewed for $8 a month there after.
    That would be great, but the large cable providers like Comcast are fighting that tooth and nail, and so far HBO is not willing to make that break. Even if HBOgo is offered on Chromecast there's no guarantee that Comcast customers will get to use it. For example, HBOgo is offered on Roku, but Comcast customers with HBO subscriptions cannot use it on Roku. I assume there must be some sort of financial consideration between the platform vendors (like Roku or Google Chromecast), HBO and the cable company that has the HBO subscriber, and that Roku is not willing or able to cover the cost if the cable company is Comcast.

Bad as Comcast is, there is one thing in their favor with respect to HBOgo and Comcast subscribers who also have Comcast Internet - every comcast.net email address can have its own HBOgo subscription (and other Comcast streaming video services) at no additional charge, and I think there can be something like 8 email addresses on each Comcast account - no inhouse or relationship restrictions. They don't advertise this but it has been this way for some time.

Quote Originally Posted by jaredsutter View Post
    You can say the same thing about Hulu. That doesn't mean that they will give you another way to make it easy to get the content you want on your big screen.
    It doesn't mean they'll go out of their way to make it difficult either. If they do, what's to stop developers from spoofing the user agent so the server can't tell the difference between a request from Chrome on a laptop and Chromecast?

Quote Originally Posted by Unicorn Rancher View Post
    It doesn't mean they'll go out of their way to make it difficult either. If they do, what's to stop developers from spoofing the user agent so the server can't tell the difference between a request from Chrome on a laptop and Chromecast?
    You can cast anything you want from a Chrome tab, I don't think anyone will successfully block that. But I imagine that some (many?) content providers will not update their apps to support the Chromecast. For example, I would be shocked if the NFL Mobile app supported Chromecast, seeing as it already actively shuts down when hdmi or mhl cables are plugged in. The MLB app seems to be pretty slow to implement even basic fixes to broken functionality - I can't imagine that app will support Chromecast anytime soon. Again, I hope I'm wrong, time will tell.

Another issue involves programming. There can be different licensing arrangements between HBO and the studios, depending on the size of the screen.

Also, everyone is into creating new revenue streams. If a programming service believes that consumers want to view content in a particular way, they're going to try to monetize that demand. Hulu Plus is a perfect example. The reason Hulu has taken such great pains to block its free service on devices that connect to the TV is simply that the marketing people believe that people will be willing to pay to watch content there. And I'm going to go way out on a limb and say that, as soon as Hulu Plus supports Chromecast, the Chrome extension will no longer allow casting content from Hulu's free service. While Hulu may be unable to stop the extension from doing it, Google certainly can, and doing so will likely be a condition of Hulu Plus supporting Chromecast.

Posted via Android Central App

IIRC the last episode of Game of Thrones had more people torrent the episode than actually watched it on HBO. If HBO tapps into a only amquartermof these viewers that is a huge revenue stream.

That said, I wouldn't pay over $5 a month for HBO and even then I wouldn't do that until I could save some $$ by ditching cable.
    I think your skills are improving.
    Moto X
    Nexus10 2012
    2 Nexus 7 2013s [My Children's]
  13. Thread Author  Thread Author    #13  

Preaching to the choir man. Have asked that same question about Google TV, took them a year to get Hulu + , that being said the chromecast button in the browser will hopefully get better.

fkpalm likes this.
  14. Thread Author  Thread Author    #14  

On a side note. You might like "Network"

Quote Originally Posted by booboolala2000 View Post
    Preaching to the choir man. Have asked that same question about Google TV, took them a year to get Hulu + , that being said the chromecast button in the browser will hopefully get better.

Not meaning to offend, but you are looking at it wrong.

It didn't take Google TV a year to get Hulu +, it took Hulu + to get to Google TV.
    Zee

Global Posts
    637 Global Posts

Was just wondering why HBO or any other media company would want this to work?

Think about it. I go over to Bob's house. He doesn't have HBO. I pull up my HBO Go app and stream Game of Thrones. Just playing devils advocate here. Bob doesn't even have cable. Even though I am paying for cable plus HBO subscription. It just seems like they havent "gotten" it yet, why should Big Broadcast get it this time around. Hoping I am just being negative and they finally come around.

HBO may be a bad example.

Bob sees you bringing over this cool HBO content, then you go on vacation for a few weeks and Bob says to himself "Damn I wish I could watch HBO Go, maybe I should get my own account". Win HBO.
    A proud former Nexus 4 Limbo level-2 member
  17. Thread Author  Thread Author    #17  

This is true.

18. Thread Author  Thread Author    #18  

But Hulu dragging their feet is what I mean by them taking so long. Google wants it all done yesterday. We all know that. Netflix seems to have come around in the last 18 mos so there is hope for Hulu. Although I would rather see the networks offer a subscription or purchase option. There are some shows you can get legally online and buy the season, but not as much as I want.

But Hulu dragging their feet is what I mean by them taking so long. Google wants it all done yesterday. We all know that. Netflix seems to have come around in the last 18 mos so there is hope for Hulu. Although I would rather see the networks offer a subscription or purchase option. There are some shows you can get legally online and buy the season, but not as much as I want.

The problem with Hulu is they have 3 distinct owners who all want to go into different directions. Same reason why they were for sale and then got pulled off the market. Constant changing of minds and directions is what holds Hulu back.
    amrith777 likes this.