Chromecast Issue?!?

D1andOnlyOmen

May 20, 2011
Visit site
I finally received my Chromecast last Thursday from Amazon. I got it all setup without any trouble at all (setup was such a breeze, so awesome!) and right away was able to cast YouTube, Netflix, etc.... to the TV. All seemed fine, watched several things through Netflix that night. During the day last Friday, my wife text me (she works from home, has the luxury of having the TV on as background noise - and a nice distraction occasionally I'm sure! - while she works) and she said that her Netflix app on her phone (which had worked perfectly the night before) wasn't showing the cast button. She had switched the TV over the input that the Chromecast is on and it was showing "Ready to Cast" and showed the network etc.... So she proceeded to just go about her day and didn't do anything to really try and "fix" the issue. When I was home Friday evening, I pulled up Netflix and had the cast button showing, she checked hers and it was back for her as well. No problem, we watched some more stuff that night through Chromecast. On Saturday I used it late morning just fine to demo it for my daughter, no issues. That evening I tried to use it, and again experienced this issue of my Netflix app not showing the cast button. Tried to check things out from my laptop and the Chrome browser extension (which I had used just fine in testing previously) but when clicking the cast extension there, it said "No devices found". Yet having the TV set to the input with Chromecast clearly showed the Chromecast on and in "Ready to Cast" mode. I tried checking all of the network settings I could think of on my WiFi router/modem and all seemed fine, so I rebooted it. Chromecast worked fine after a reboot and was recognizable on the network. Since that time on Saturday, the same issue occurred on Sunday although I didn't bother to reset the router/modem, just moved on to doing something different. And of course later on (without doing any sort of reset to the modem) Chromecast was working fine again. It should be noted that at no time during any of these points where we didn't have the "cast" button showing in the YouTube or Netflix app or the Chrome extension seeing the Chromecast, the network itself appeared to be working perfectly fine, as we were able to connect to the internet without any issues.

While the reboot obviously cleared up the situation right away, on two separate occasions the issue seems to have "magically" resolved itself on it's own.

Anyone have ANY ideas what could be causing the Chromecast to not show up as a network device, even though it shows its on and is "Ready to Cast"? :confused::confused::confused:

Devlyn16

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
Are you SURE you were on the same Wi-Fi network as the chromecast? IE if you were on a 5 ghz network where the Chromecast was on the 2.4 ghz.

How do you have the Chromecast powered?. USB to the TV? USB to the included power adapter?

D1andOnlyOmen

May 20, 2011
Visit site
Positive on the network.....there's only one network working in my house. Chromecast is powered by the USB port on the TV itself, I've checked each time by switching to the correct input that the Chromecast has been powered on and showed that it was "Ready to Cast" and showed it was connected to the network. Happened again last night when I got home and went to use it.......had to reboot the router/modem again to get it to work. I'm almost convinced that this is more a network issue than it being Chomecast, but still not 100% on that. Obviously the router/modem reboots have "fixed" the problem each time, but that's going to get really old/annoying really fast if we have to do that each time we want to use Chromecast. I can't even think what kind of setting on my router/modem would be interfering with this working smoothly.

Devlyn16

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
Positive on the network.....there's only one network working in my house. Chromecast is powered by the USB port on the TV itself, I've checked each time by switching to the correct input that the Chromecast has been powered on and showed that it was "Ready to Cast" and showed it was connected to the network. Happened again last night when I got home and went to use it.......had to reboot the router/modem again to get it to work. I'm almost convinced that this is more a network issue than it being Chomecast, but still not 100% on that. Obviously the router/modem reboots have "fixed" the problem each time, but that's going to get really old/annoying really fast if we have to do that each time we want to use Chromecast. I can't even think what kind of setting on my router/modem would be interfering with this working smoothly.

What model Modem and router do you have? Most modern wi-fi routers are DUAL Band so for example I could have my CC connected to Devlyn's Wi-Fi on the 2.4ghz band while my phone connects on the same 2.4 ghz band everything would work but If my Phone switched over to the 5ghz band It would not communicate with the CC. Also have you tried powering the CC from the power adapter to see if the problem goes away? I seem to recall some people mentioing that some TVs either don't put out the proper power to USB ports or cut power all together when the TV turns off.

D1andOnlyOmen

May 20, 2011
Visit site
What model Modem and router do you have? Most modern wi-fi routers are DUAL Band so for example I could have my CC connected to Devlyn's Wi-Fi on the 2.4ghz band while my phone connects on the same 2.4 ghz band everything would work but If my Phone switched over to the 5ghz band It would not communicate with the CC. Also have you tried powering the CC from the power adapter to see if the problem goes away? I seem to recall some people mentioing that some TVs either don't put out the proper power to USB ports or cut power all together when the TV turns off.

The router/modem I have is an Actiontec C1000A (was provided by Centurylink which we have our DSL service through), but I can't seem to find anything in it's info about whether or not it's "dual band" or not. I'm going to assume that since it doesn't specify that info, it must not be.

Another curious thing has occurred today.......my wife text me that she was watching something through Netflix a little bit ago, has been working perfectly fine since the last reboot (Monday I think) but while she was watching and her phone screen turned off, when she turned it back on the next time, it didn't show the Netflix was playing anything even though it was still playing on the TV. She says she restarted the Netflix app and it still didn't show anything playing, therefore there was no way to control it. She shut down the TV and Chromecast (the Chromecast is powered via the USB port on the TV) which of course stopped the Netflix playback, but when she turned everything back on and fired up the Netflix app again, it is once again not showing the option to cast to anything, yet the Chromecast says it's on and ready.

Devlyn16

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
The router/modem I have is an Actiontec C1000A (was provided by Centurylink which we have our DSL service through), but I can't seem to find anything in it's info about whether or not it's "dual band" or not. I'm going to assume that since it doesn't specify that info, it must not be.

Another curious thing has occurred today.......my wife text me that she was watching something through Netflix a little bit ago, has been working perfectly fine since the last reboot (Monday I think) but while she was watching and her phone screen turned off, when she turned it back on the next time, it didn't show the Netflix was playing anything even though it was still playing on the TV. She says she restarted the Netflix app and it still didn't show anything playing, therefore there was no way to control it. She shut down the TV and Chromecast (the Chromecast is powered via the USB port on the TV) which of course stopped the Netflix playback, but when she turned everything back on and fired up the Netflix app again, it is once again not showing the option to cast to anything, yet the Chromecast says it's on and ready.

I agree that if it was dual band CL would be advertising that feature. I suspect that this modem router is where your problem lies assuming the TV USB is pushing enough power.

As for what happened with your wife's phone. I have experienced that myself. Though it has happened much less frequently with each update to the Chromecast. Usually if that happens and you need to regain control of Netflix you can close the app and relaunch it. [ I'm assuming you wife didn't just miss the blue bar at the top of the app] or launch the Chromecast app so that the phone and CC are commuicating and then relaunch the Netflix app.

I haven't deeply troubleshot the issue, but I suspect it has to do with the lock screen.

Feb 24, 2014
Visit site
What worked for me immediately was to make sure that my router channel setting was not on automatic, so I changed it to 11 for example. My guess is that the router changes channel and the chromecast needs to stay on the same channel.

Zack Schneider

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
I have had exactly the same problem. I spoke with a representative from chromecast support and still haven't resolved the issue. If you find anything that does resolve it I would really appreciate knowing how to. Right now everything I've tried hasn't worked. I'll post an update if i do find something.

EDIT: I found a solution from a user on reddit. Google [solution] actiontec c1000a. (I can't post links here). Disabling the NAT-T state seems to have worked, fingers crossed.

Last edited:

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
I have had exactly the same problem. I spoke with a representative from chromecast support and still haven't resolved the issue. If you find anything that does resolve it I would really appreciate knowing how to. Right now everything I've tried hasn't worked. I'll post an update if i do find something.

EDIT: I found a solution from a user on reddit. Google [solution] actiontec c1000a. (I can't post links here). Disabling the NAT-T state seems to have worked, fingers crossed.

thanks. I recently purchased Centurylink modem and I have this issue off and on.

I will fix it as soon as i get home

donc13

Apr 25, 2011
Visit site
Are you SURE you were on the same Wi-Fi network as the chromecast? IE if you were on a 5 ghz network where the Chromecast was on the 2.4 ghz.

How do you have the Chromecast powered?. USB to the TV? USB to the included power adapter?

Having a mixed 5GHz and 2.4GHz network is not an issue with Chromecast as long as both networks are on the same network subnet and go thru a common router.

Sent from my Note 3 via Tapatalk