1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Chromecast and You Tube?

The Chromecast arrived today after an interminable wait. I had a heck of a time getting it on my network (took a score of entries of the password before it took). This evening I tried experimenting with You Tube. I cast a dozen favorite music videos without problem and then tried a movie....and tried...and tried. Freezing, jerking, sputtering and eventually failing...

So,

What do I need to do to get the device to cast a you tube movie on the first try? (or any). I am using a Linski 2500 router and have no problem streaming Netflix over it... Why not You Tube? Do I need to buy some other device to get this one to work? The WiFi signal is about half strength.
  2. Thread Author  Thread Author    #2  

Default Re: Chromecast and You Tube?

OK, after a good 6 hours of frustrated play, including moving the router, speed testing the PC, router, and my phone from the Chromecast location, I figured out the problem...

When one installs the device, a 'caster' icon appears in two places. On the Google Chrome toolbar at the top of the screen and again on the bottom of the app itself. If you, like I, hit the icon on the top right in the Google chrome bar, the thing tries to cast, sometimes plasy for a while and more often crashes fast. If you discover the icon on the app itself and hit it instead, all works fine.....

So put this down as a combination of operator error and poor instructions.......