Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Results 1 to 18 of 18
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

    Default Chromecast works as promised, but not as I hoped

    I tried to set up Chromecast on my Windows Vista PC, but it wouldnít let me. Yes, they did indicate that it only worked with Windows 7 and above. I had to use my Google Nexus 7 tablet for set up, which was my second choice for casting. Hulu wonít work on my tablet (no, Iím not interested in paying for Hulu Plus) nor will videos from other Media Web content. I donít have Netflix, nor Google Play content, but I do have Amazon Instant Video, but that doesnít work either. All I have, really, is Youtube, and while there is an extraordinary amount of content available, it is too often a hassle to find exactly what Iím looking for out of that immense volume of data. So, I have decided to buy a new computer to handle Chromecast, to make it somewhat more workable the way I want it to be. (I *really* do want to be able to cast a lot of Internet stuff to my TV Ė but donít ask me why.) So instead of Chromecast costing me $35, it will really cost me well over $1,000. Thanks a lot, Google.
  2. #2  

    Default Re: Chromecast works as promised, but not as I hoped

    Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Hunt View Post
    I tried to set up Chromecast on my Windows Vista PC, but it wouldnít let me. Yes, they did indicate that it only worked with Windows 7 and above. I had to use my Google Nexus 7 tablet for set up, which was my second choice for casting. Hulu wonít work on my tablet (no, Iím not interested in paying for Hulu Plus) nor will videos from other Media Web content. I donít have Netflix, nor Google Play content, but I do have Amazon Instant Video, but that doesnít work either. All I have, really, is Youtube, and while there is an extraordinary amount of content available, it is too often a hassle to find exactly what Iím looking for out of that immense volume of data. So, I have decided to buy a new computer to handle Chromecast, to make it somewhat more workable the way I want it to be. (I *really* do want to be able to cast a lot of Internet stuff to my TV Ė but donít ask me why.) So instead of Chromecast costing me $35, it will really cost me well over $1,000. Thanks a lot, Google.
    Do some research before you buy a product. If the chrome cast isn't what you thought it would be just return the damn thing. I hate to break it to you but Google didn't design the chrome cast with just you in mind.

    Sent from my HTC One using AC Forums mobile app
    Nexus 5-Black
    Rooted 4.4.2
    TWRP
  3. #3  

    Default Re: Chromecast works as promised, but not as I hoped

    If you were running Vista it was probably time for an upgrade anyways...

    Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 4
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

    Default Re: Chromecast works as promised, but not as I hoped

    Oh, I did my research, Mr. Madison. Thatís why the first part of the subject says, ďChromecast works as promisedÖ.Ē. I knew what it was supposed to do, and it does it well. But who among us doesnít have hopes that we can tweak it to make it do more? This Forum is full of posts suggesting, advising, and describing ways to get more out of this little gadget. One post even told of a guy who reverse-engineered the thing, and wrote an app to exploit his efforts, only to have Google update a block to his app. And yes, I know well that it wasnít designed with me in mind, Mr. Madison, so please forgive me for expressing my experiences and desires in this Forum.
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

    Default Re: Chromecast works as promised, but not as I hoped

    Yeah, youíre right, Trunks. I really wrote the post with tongue in cheek. I was actually planning to get a new PC in late fall, and Iím hoping that Chromecast will work with the new Operating System, either Windows 7 or 8.1. Any words of advice on which one would be better?
  6. #6  

    Default Re: Chromecast works as promised, but not as I hoped

    so you are thanking Google because you have to spend more???? please don't be a victim. If you do buy a computer because you want to, get 7.
  7. #7  

    Default Re: Chromecast works as promised, but not as I hoped

    The device is still in its infancy. When Google releases the SDK out of Beta the apps will swarm like mosquitoes!
    I think your skills are improving.
    Moto X
    Nexus10 2012
    2 Nexus 7 2013s [My Children's]
  8. #8  

    Default Re: Chromecast works as promised, but not as I hoped

    Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Hunt View Post
    I tried to set up Chromecast on my Windows Vista PC, but it wouldnít let me. Yes, they did indicate that it only worked with Windows 7 and above. I had to use my Google Nexus 7 tablet for set up, which was my second choice for casting. Hulu wonít work on my tablet (no, Iím not interested in paying for Hulu Plus) nor will videos from other Media Web content. I donít have Netflix, nor Google Play content, but I do have Amazon Instant Video, but that doesnít work either. All I have, really, is Youtube, and while there is an extraordinary amount of content available, it is too often a hassle to find exactly what Iím looking for out of that immense volume of data. So, I have decided to buy a new computer to handle Chromecast, to make it somewhat more workable the way I want it to be. (I *really* do want to be able to cast a lot of Internet stuff to my TV Ė but donít ask me why.) So instead of Chromecast costing me $35, it will really cost me well over $1,000. Thanks a lot, Google.
    A question what made you decide that the costs would be over 1000?

    That seems really high.
  9. #9  

    Default Re: Chromecast works as promised, but not as I hoped

    Spare us the drama and spend $99 to upgrade your PC to Win7. If it runs Vista, then it won't have any problem with Win7.
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  

    Default Re: Chromecast works as promised, but not as I hoped

    Yes, $1,000 is high for a PC, Farish, but Iím into video games as well as a graphic-intensive Virtual Reality realm, and providing for these indulgences does get expensive. I plan to get an Intel i7 chip and motherboard, with tons of RAM, and a 2GB heavy-duty video card. I doubt if itís possible, but I would love to be able to cast and play all this, including ďStar Wars Ė The Old RepublicĒ, onto my TV with Chromecast. If anyone has any ideas on how this can be done, all suggestions are welcome. Like everyone else, Iím very much looking forward to the SDK and lots of new Chromecast apps.
  11. #11  

    Default Re: Chromecast works as promised, but not as I hoped

    Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Hunt View Post
    Yes, $1,000 is high for a PC, Farish, but Iím into video games as well as a graphic-intensive Virtual Reality realm, and providing for these indulgences does get expensive. I plan to get an Intel i7 chip and motherboard, with tons of RAM, and a 2GB heavy-duty video card. I doubt if itís possible, but I would love to be able to cast and play all this, including ďStar Wars Ė The Old RepublicĒ, onto my TV with Chromecast. If anyone has any ideas on how this can be done, all suggestions are welcome. Like everyone else, Iím very much looking forward to the SDK and lots of new Chromecast apps.
    Ok, somethings to explain here.

    First gaming isn't a great idea with Chromecast, you will be much better off with a straight hdmi cable. Not only will you be taxing your cpu with rendering the game but also the broadcasting the game to the Chromecast. Plus there will be additional latency among other factors that can lessen your user experience.

    I am going to take a guess that you play Second Life because of your avatar. I believe that game is cpu bound still so graphics card would not be as important as a good cpu and extra ram to reduce loading times. Yes a high end cpu will help to a point but you are going to reach diminishing returns with that specific game. Unfortunately there aren't benchmarks available to compare with that specific scenario. Of course other games are going to have much better experiences with a better cpu/gpu but each game is different and may present you will a different bottleneck.
  12. #12  

    Default Re: Chromecast works as promised, but not as I hoped

    Doc, why not just upgrade your PCs OS system to W7. Also the netflix 7 bucks a month unlimited streaming is pretty great but like you , i like amazon better and google the least.
  13. Thread Author  Thread Author    #13  

    Default Re: Chromecast works as promised, but not as I hoped

    Thanks for the explanations, Farish. I stand corrected, and enlightened. Yes, it is Second Life that Iím into, and your insights and clarifications on that are appreciated. Iíve read many of your posts on this Forum, and they are very worthwhile. As for upgrading my Vista PC to Windows 7, I donít want to do that at this time for several reasons. I like your idea of simply hooking up an HDMI cable to the TV for the games and for SL, but that, like Netflix, will have to wait for the new PC. I love Chromecast, and I love technology. Iím sure Iíll love Chromecast a lot more when I have adequate resources to use it to its full potential, and when the Chromecast apps are plentiful.
  14. #14  

    Default Re: Chromecast works as promised, but not as I hoped

    Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Hunt View Post
    Thanks for the explanations, Farish. I stand corrected, and enlightened. Yes, it is Second Life that Iím into, and your insights and clarifications on that are appreciated. Iíve read many of your posts on this Forum, and they are very worthwhile. As for upgrading my Vista PC to Windows 7, I donít want to do that at this time for several reasons. I like your idea of simply hooking up an HDMI cable to the TV for the games and for SL, but that, like Netflix, will have to wait for the new PC. I love Chromecast, and I love technology. Iím sure Iíll love Chromecast a lot more when I have adequate resources to use it to its full potential, and when the Chromecast apps are plentiful.
    Why do you have to wait to hook up your pc to a TV for Netflix?

    HDMI Cable, Home Theater Accessories, HDMI Products, Cables, Adapters, Video/Audio Switch, Networking, USB, Firewire, Printer Toner, and more!

    Gaming if your computer isn't good enough yet that could cause some issues.
  15. #15  

    Default Re: Chromecast works as promised, but not as I hoped

    If your main concern is Amazon instant video, you should look into getting a Roku 3
  16. #16  

    Default Re: Chromecast works as promised, but not as I hoped

    Love my Roku 3, and since I bought it the Chromecast sits unused.

    Sent from my Nexus 7 using AC Forums mobile app
  17. #17  
    hodan's Avatar

    Posts
    621 Posts
    Global Posts
    622 Global Posts

    Default Re: Chromecast works as promised, but not as I hoped

    Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Hunt View Post
    I tried to set up Chromecast on my Windows Vista PC, but it wouldnít let me. Yes, they did indicate that it only worked with Windows 7 and above. I had to use my Google Nexus 7 tablet for set up, which was my second choice for casting. Hulu wonít work on my tablet (no, Iím not interested in paying for Hulu Plus) nor will videos from other Media Web content. I donít have Netflix, nor Google Play content, but I do have Amazon Instant Video, but that doesnít work either. All I have, really, is Youtube, and while there is an extraordinary amount of content available, it is too often a hassle to find exactly what Iím looking for out of that immense volume of data. So, I have decided to buy a new computer to handle Chromecast, to make it somewhat more workable the way I want it to be. (I *really* do want to be able to cast a lot of Internet stuff to my TV Ė but donít ask me why.) So instead of Chromecast costing me $35, it will really cost me well over $1,000. Thanks a lot, Google.
    Lol. Go get a Roku then.

    Posted via Android Central App
    So long, and thanks for all the fish.
  18. #18  
    hodan's Avatar

    Posts
    621 Posts
    Global Posts
    622 Global Posts

    Default Re: Chromecast works as promised, but not as I hoped

    Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Hunt View Post
    Yeah, youíre right, Trunks. I really wrote the post with tongue in cheek. I was actually planning to get a new PC in late fall, and Iím hoping that Chromecast will work with the new Operating System, either Windows 7 or 8.1. Any words of advice on which one would be better?
    I appreciate the clarification, but your sarcasm wasn't obvious.

    With that being said, I thought all Vista machines incinerated on 12/12/12? No?

    I love windows 7, but I'd get an 8.1 machine if I were buying new.

    Posted via Android Central App
    So long, and thanks for all the fish.

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 66
    Last Post: 03-10-2014, 11:02 PM
  2. Can I get my Samsung Galaxy Pocket working again?
    By vathanyd in forum General Help and How To
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 09-09-2013, 05:06 AM
  3. Replies: 12
    Last Post: 09-05-2013, 03:10 PM

Posting Permissions