Simultaneously cast multiple Chrome tabs to different Chromecasts?

Groundhound

Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
Anyone with two or more Chromecasts know if you can cast multiple Chrome browser tabs to different Chromecasts on the same wireless network?

zkSharks

Retired Moderator
Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
As still1 said, looking at how it works it should be possible. It's going to come down to whether or not the Cast extension actually lets you do it. I'll be getting one of my Chromecasts back in the next day or two and this is definitely something I'll try out.

Groundhound

Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
That'd be great if you could give it a try. I'm sure casting two or more tabs from one computer would be resource and bandwidth intensive for video, but for static or slowly changing displays of different content to multiple screens it could be useful.

ETPhoneHomeT

Aug 1, 2013
Visit site
I just tried it and if there's a way to do it, I haven't found it. When I open a 2nd tab and click on the cast icon and attempt to cast that tab to the 2nd Chromecast, the 1st tab stops casting to the first unit and switches back to the Chromecast homescreen. I could only get one Chromecast to cast at a time.

Groundhound

Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for trying, too bad it didn't work. Hopefully Google will make this possible in an update. If tabs within the same window can't cast independently of each other, perhaps Google can make it possible to cast separate windows if that can't be done now.

I wonder if the single cast by machine restriction (assuming there is one) extends to more than just Chrome tabs? That is, will it block casting a single tab to one CC while casting a YouTube video to another?

rawbar

Apr 18, 2011
Visit site
Same issue here. 6 chromecasts connected to 6 monitors, if I have a tab broadcasting to one, then open a new tab and tell the new tab to go to another one, the first tab stops broadcasting :(

ETPhoneHomeT

Aug 1, 2013
Visit site
I wonder if the single cast by machine restriction (assuming there is one) extends to more than just Chrome tabs? That is, will it block casting a single tab to one CC while casting a YouTube video to another?

Tested out this morning and this does work. I started my bedroom TV and cast a YouTube video to it from my phone, then went to my living room TV and was able to cast tab from Chrome browser on my desktop PC to it and both casts worked simultaneously. Also while leaving YouTube video running on my bedroom TV, I switched my living room TV to Netflix via my phone and that worked as well with the bedroom TV continuing to cast the YouTube video.

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
I just tried it and if there's a way to do it, I haven't found it. When I open a 2nd tab and click on the cast icon and attempt to cast that tab to the 2nd Chromecast, the 1st tab stops casting to the first unit and switches back to the Chromecast homescreen. I could only get one Chromecast to cast at a time.

looks like i was wrong. wonder if it works when you open two separate window but one on incognito

zkSharks

Retired Moderator
Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
Added cast extension to incognito tab...still no. Same behavior as when you try to cast to 2 separate tabs.

That's too bad. The extension is in beta, after all. Hopefully as the Cast API matures, we'll see functionality like this. Or maybe Koush will make it happen. Either way. ;)

Craig King

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
If you really desperate to get this to work could try something like running multiple VM's on one box and see if that would do it. Not sure what that would do to the CPU but shouldn't be much worse then running it without them.

rawbar

Apr 18, 2011
Visit site
vms would work but it would be a major pain in the **** having to manage each desktop to change content across multiple monitors (or rdp into multiple desktops). sure it would work, but sort of defeats the ease of which these things should work.

i will be using an ATI card with 6 video outs instead. oh well.

Grouchy187

Mar 28, 2013
Visit site
Here is a working method, not to difficult to implement.

1) Create a chrome shortcut (other then your current).
2) Right click the shortcut and select Properties.
3) On the Shortcut tab, edit the target to look as follows:
"C:\Program Files (x86)\Google\Chrome\Application\chrome.exe" --user-data-dir=D:\Chrome\ProfileName

The bold is what you will need to add, the path will be wherever your Chrome is installed. With this, the chrome shortcut will use a new profile, so it will allow you to stream to a different chromecast.

My goal was to do this with NFL Sunday Ticket HOWEVER, you cannot log into the NFL Sunday Ticket from a different browser (it limits you to one login at a time...) so if you happen to be trying the same thing and find a workaround for that, I'd love to know.

gregg098

Dec 28, 2012
Visit site
Not a solution for everyone, but if you have an android tablet that supports multiple users (I have the Nexus 10), you can cast to a different cc from each profile at the same time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781