Roku just turned up the heat a bit

ALCingularUser

May 17, 2011
Visit site
I just got an update notification for my Roku app, and it has an interesting new feature: the ability to stream video from the S3, S4, N4, N7 (2012 version), and HTC One to the Roku. I haven't had a chance to try it on my N7, but I plan to.

I'm pointing this out because it's obvious that Google's competitors are paying attention and adding features to their products. Google really, really needs to get the Chromecast SDK out soon.

Posted via Android Central App

patchs

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
All it does is let you stream the videos you record with your camera, not just any video (like YouTube).
I have a HTC One and a Roku 3 and my videos don't appear in the Play Roku app. Obviously, there's more work that needs to be done.
I don't think Google is sweating.

Dan G1

Feb 18, 2013
Visit site
awesome, i noticed this the other day but have not had a chance to try it out yet. Although I've been able to do this already anyway through another app but this is still cool!

DreamSTi

Nov 18, 2009
Visit site
It's a start in the right direct for Roku, but I don't find myself wanting to cast video's I took on my phone to my TV too often.

olgeezer44

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
Seems I saw some where that Roku now has a device similar to Chromecast. I had Roku for a few years, but it would always lockup up half way through an Amazon movie--paid or prime. Also no Youtube on Roku. I bought a Sony blu ray player that's compatible with amazon for $100. It's a good replacement for my 6 year old dvd player.

Right now I'm just reading these posts. I bought Chromecase, but haven't installed it yet. Looks like it will be awhile before it has many apps.

mrvco

Jun 28, 2013
Visit site
It's a shame that Google didn't at least release a beta API to coincide with the Chromecast launch. I'm sure there is probably one person in 2013 that heard about the Chromecast and didn't already own a device capable of streaming Netflix and Youtube videos to their television, but my impression is that most of the people who did buy a Chromecast right away are gadget geeks, tech enthusiasts or whatever... people who already own multiple devices capable of streaming Netflix and Youtube videos to their television.

olgeezer44

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
It's a shame that Google didn't at least release a beta API to coincide with the Chromecast launch. I'm sure there is probably one person in 2013 that heard about the Chromecast and didn't already own a device capable of streaming Netflix and Youtube videos to their television, but my impression is that most of the people who did buy a Chromecast right away are gadget geeks, tech enthusiasts or whatever... people who already own multiple devices capable of streaming Netflix and Youtube videos to their television.

After reading a bunch of posts. loaded with workarounds, I totally agree with your comments.