Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Chromecast causing phone WiFi to drop

I did see this mentioned in an earlier thread with no solution, so I'm bringing it up again. Got my Chromecast last night, easy set up, no worries. Played a couple of YouTube videos, then got a message that it couldn't connect....took a minute to realize, but the wifi on my phone (S4, not rooted) was actually turned off. Ok, turned it back, played another video...wifi turned off. Ok so I rebooted the phone, same thing keeps happening and I have no idea why. Is there an update that fixes this bug that i possibly haven't downloaded yet? Its so annoying it makes me want to stop using it until the bug is fixed.

thanks!

Global Posts
    2,204 Global Posts
    ROM
    MoDaCo Switch Beta 8

Default Re: Chromecast causing phone WiFi to drop

I have no problem with my HTC One. Try updating the firmware on your router. That's a fix for many things Chromecast.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

hmm, can't remember the last time I updated the firmware on the router....good idea on its own. But how could that cause the WiFi on my phone to actually turn OFF? not disconnected from the network...literally turn off so that I have to go into settings and turn wifi back on.. ?

Global Posts
    2,204 Global Posts
    ROM
    MoDaCo Switch Beta 8

Point taken. That's strange as you know what. Going to ask around to see if anyone has an idea.
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    2,204 Global Posts
    ROM
    MoDaCo Switch Beta 8

Everyone I've talked with has no real solution. The best thing I've heard is trying a factory reset, although that wasn't the sort of solution I wanted to present to you. I wish I had a better option for you.
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Ugg....you mean the Chromecast or actually the phone itself? The only variable introduced in this environment is the Chromecast...never before had a WiFi problem at home or with the S4.

Thanks for checking though!

Global Posts
    2,204 Global Posts
    ROM
    MoDaCo Switch Beta 8

Both That's all we've got so far. I am unable to find any relevant info to give you a suggestion.

Quote Originally Posted by dustinfrank View Post
    I did see this mentioned in an earlier thread with no solution, so I'm bringing it up again. Got my Chromecast last night, easy set up, no worries. Played a couple of YouTube videos, then got a message that it couldn't connect....took a minute to realize, but the wifi on my phone (S4, not rooted) was actually turned off. Ok, turned it back, played another video...wifi turned off. Ok so I rebooted the phone, same thing keeps happening and I have no idea why. Is there an update that fixes this bug that i possibly haven't downloaded yet? Its so annoying it makes me want to stop using it until the bug is fixed.

thanks!
    some phones have a setting to reduce wi-fi usage when the screen is off[ sleep] this may be what is causing your problem.
    I think your skills are improving.
    Moto X
    Nexus10 2012
    2 Nexus 7 2013s [My Children's]
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

Quote Originally Posted by Devlyn16 View Post
    some phones have a setting to reduce wi-fi usage when the screen is off[ sleep] this may be what is causing your problem.
    Yes and WiFi on mine is set to stay on during sleep/screen off time. I may play with it a little more tonight and FDR the Chromecast. REALLY don't want to FDR the phone because I don't see how the phone could have been affected so much as to benefit from that.

I am seeing chromecast show up as a wifi access point (router) in my list of wifi routers on the phone. I can actually connect to it, but of course it doesn't work.

I don't believe this thing certified as a router and it should not appear on the network as such.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by icebike View Post
    I am seeing chromecast show up as a wifi access point (router) in my list of wifi routers on the phone. I can actually connect to it, but of course it doesn't work.

I don't believe this thing certified as a router and it should not appear on the network as such.

Dude that's the same problem I'm having. The thing is with me I can't connect to certain devices in my home now like my Xbox, ps3, and my laptop. Idk if my wifi has been sucked into the chromecast (sounds ridiculous but only thing I can go with). My internet worked fine til I got chromecast.

Just posting back to report that I have not see this issue since my Chromecast updated itself to build 13300.

Global Posts
    5 Global Posts

I had the same problem. I was all set up and began watching a movie and my wifi dropped. My problem is that I can't get it back. When Chromecast is connected it sees my wifi signal but says there is limited connectivity. After hours I gave up and decided to unhook the device. I still can't connect to the internet but I verified with Comcast that my signal is strong. Here's the really odd part. I can go to gmail, google maps and even search but if I click on any links it won't work. I did search Facebook on Google and I was able to get on and post but I can't go to Facebook.com.

I'm restoring my computer to 10 days ago hoping this fixes the problem. The only things I can think of that caused this are my router - Linksys wrtg54 - which is old but should work. Or I tried to access a site which Google does not approve of. It streams copyrighted material.
    Regardless if you know anyone in Seattle who wants a cheap Chromecast I'll happily sell mine so that I can buy a cord that connects my tv and laptop. Thanks for reading.
    Katie

Reboot your router before restoring your computer. The problem is not likely to be your computer, but you might as well reboot it too.

Zee

Global Posts
    639 Global Posts

Wow this sounds strange. Never had an issue with my Chromecast and phone wifi (knock on wood)
    A proud former Nexus 4 Limbo level-2 member

Mine is doing the same thing. I had two chromecasts since then came out, and they have been working great. After reaching behind my TV and breaking the one of them I replaced it. I have added it to my network and it has asked me 7 times to setup my chromecast. Now that it is working consistenly, every other device that connects to our network is refusing to connect. I have reset the router, upgraded firmware, an its pissing me off. Now both chromecast dongles show up as an access point and our phones for some reason keep trying to connect to them. (HTC Ones)

Anyone find a solution?

deleted post
    Last edited by liqmat; 05-05-2014 at 11:42 PM.

This has happened to me twice. Both times rebooting my router (Netgear WNDR3700 V3) seemed to do the trick. Problem is the first time was several month ago and I did not make a note of the solution. Took me three hours then to figure it out. Last night, it happened again and it took two hours before I stumbled on the answer again. There is now a post-it taped to the back of the Chromecast.

"Reboot the router, fool!"

Otherwise, I love the little critter.

Just picked my Chromecast today and was having the exact same problem. Tried numerous reboots, checked firmware, verified the network was stable without the Chromecast plugged powered on and when off the other devices regained the ability to stay connected. Attempted to move wireless channels.. all efforts failed.. until I restricted the router to only allow 802.11b and 802.11g and disallowing 802.11n. While i read over and over about the "compatibility" would be no problem. I believe the issue lies in my Verizon Actiontec router, its not handling the payload properly and killing it. If i cared enough to about 802.11n i would troubleshoot more.

Hope this helps someone else. Now on to playing with the new toy.

So yeah, an update.. The connection became more stable with N being offered from router. However, i still found the problem to occur again later. So, in a last ditch effort the only other change i had today since the problem started occuring was enabling blue tooth. Once it's been disabled, i immediately reconnected back to wireless and has been good for a while now. The question is why.. any ideas?