Results 1 to 13 of 13
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By paintdrinkingpete
  • 1 Post By patruns
  • 1 Post By Devlyn16
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

    Default Google Cast for Android Chrome app

    Am I missing it? Because it seems rather idiotic that there would be an add-on available in the Chrome Store for Google Cast for the Windows OS but no app add-on for the Android version of The Chrome Browser. Since Android Platform was created by Google that seems like it should be a given. A pain for those who are trying to solely use their tablets.
  2. #2  
    i love storms's Avatar

    Posts
    231 Posts
    ROM
    AOKP Build 33

    Default Re: Google Cast for Android Chrome app

    Not missing it... It isn't available

    Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

    Default Re: Google Cast for Android Chrome app

    To me that seems like a terrible oversight, does it not?
  4. #4  

    Default Re: Google Cast for Android Chrome app

    Quote Originally Posted by Bob OHara View Post
    To me that seems like a terrible oversight, does it not?
    I doubt that it is an oversight. There are probably reasons the app has not been updated. An explanation about it from Google would be nice though.
    Pat
    Nook Color - CM10.1 ( Jelly Bean 4.2.2) on eMMC
    Google Galaxy Nexus - stock Jelly Bean 4.3
    Galaxy Nexus 10 - stock KitKat 4.4.2
    Galaxy Nexus 7 (2nd Generation) - stock KitKat 4.4.2
    Chromecast
    Nexus 5 - stock KitKat 4.4.2
  5. #5  
    dan1431's Avatar

    Posts
    292 Posts
    Global Posts
    293 Global Posts

    Default Re: Google Cast for Android Chrome app

    This is an area where Google has always had a deficiency.

    It might be my biggest give with Google as I am sure they know what they are doing, but are not the best at communicating that with the public.

    Other companies are just as bad, but it has been an issue that IMHO has always existed with Google.

    Dan
  6. #6  

    Default Re: Google Cast for Android Chrome app

    Quote Originally Posted by Bob OHara View Post
    Am I missing it? Because it seems rather idiotic that there would be an add-on available in the Chrome Store for Google Cast for the Windows OS but no app add-on for the Android version of The Chrome Browser. Since Android Platform was created by Google that seems like it should be a given. A pain for those who are trying to solely use their tablets.
    Minimum System Requirements Streaming Quality: High Streaming Quality: Standard
    Windows Vista
    Windows 7 & 8
    2nd-generation Core i5 (2GHz+), 3rd/4th-generation Core i5 processor, or equivalent Core i3 or equivalent


    [sarcasm]Yes, idiotic that they go and let a PC with minimum specs matching those above do something that is unavailable on a moblie Device with a mobile OS [/sarcasm]
    I think your skills are improving.
    Moto X
    Nexus10 2012
    Nexus 7 2013 [Son's]
  7. #7  

    Default Re: Google Cast for Android Chrome app

    To be fair, they do state pretty clearly in the product description that it can cast from "Chrome browser from your computer"

    From the :
    Cast a Chrome browser tab with anything from photos to music to video from your Windows or Mac laptop or Chromebook Pixel to your TV at home.
    To be honest, browser casting from Chromcast seems to be a pretty resource intensive task. My laptop seems to handle it fine, but when I as visiting my sister a few weeks ago we noticed that her older laptop was getting bogged down and starting to overheat after trying to watch ESPN3 via tab cast for about 20 minutes. My guess is that this is part of the reason it's not available for mobile devices yet -- they have a find a more efficient means of sharing the content.
    Devlyn16 likes this.
  8. #8  

    Default Re: Google Cast for Android Chrome app

    I seem to recall from earlier threads when Chromecast first launched that the data path for dedicated Apps vs casting from a Browser on a PC were different.

    As in for netflix, your phone/tablet send a command to netflix's servers and they streamed the content down through the intenet to the Chrome cast device, where as for Tabbed casting, of ESPN for example, your PC sends the request through the browser to ESPN, then ESPN sends the content to your PC, then your PC sends it over to Chroemcas. I'm no expert but if this is what is occuring it become obvious why casting from Chrome may be a litte ways off for moble devices. When it does arrive, These forums will flood with people compalining about the battery drain.
    I think your skills are improving.
    Moto X
    Nexus10 2012
    Nexus 7 2013 [Son's]
  9. #9  

    Default Re: Google Cast for Android Chrome app

    not sure about this.

    my understanding is that casting merely establishes the wifi connection to the content directly from the source on the internet. so, there is not actually any streaming going on from the device. indeed, if you from your phone start to cast a youtube video, and then PULL the phone's battery, your tv will continue merrily playing the video.

    so, imo your sister's laptop was merely struggling to play the espn3 video. it would have struggled with or without the cast.
  10. #10  

    Default Re: Google Cast for Android Chrome app

    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Daly View Post
    not sure about this.

    my understanding is that casting merely establishes the wifi connection to the content directly from the source on the internet. so, there is not actually any streaming going on from the device. indeed, if you from your phone start to cast a youtube video, and then PULL the phone's battery, your tv will continue merrily playing the video.

    so, imo your sister's laptop was merely struggling to play the espn3 video. it would have struggled with or without the cast.
    This is true for apps that support casting (that the actual stream is handled by the Chromecast device itself), however when casting a browser session that is NOT true, in that case the computer is acting as a "middle man", and all content is streamed first to the computer browser, then from the computer to the Chromecast device...this is why it is a much more intensive process and uses more system resources.

    Devlyn outlined this above....

    Quote Originally Posted by Devlyn16 View Post
    I seem to recall from earlier threads when Chromecast first launched that the data path for dedicated Apps vs casting from a Browser on a PC were different.

    As in for netflix, your phone/tablet send a command to netflix's servers and they streamed the content down through the intenet to the Chrome cast device, where as for Tabbed casting, of ESPN for example, your PC sends the request through the browser to ESPN, then ESPN sends the content to your PC, then your PC sends it over to Chroemcas. I'm no expert but if this is what is occuring it become obvious why casting from Chrome may be a litte ways off for moble devices. When it does arrive, These forums will flood with people compalining about the battery drain.
  11. #11  

    Default Re: Google Cast for Android Chrome app

    I agree. I believe streaming from a PC browser is far more intensive than an app cast. Add to that the fact that someone could have multiple tabs open that are constantly receiving real time updates. If Google could restrict the Android Chrome app to only casting when one tab is open it might fly but that sounds like a complete rewrite of the Chrome app. Maybe that is what they are doing.
    Pat
    Nook Color - CM10.1 ( Jelly Bean 4.2.2) on eMMC
    Google Galaxy Nexus - stock Jelly Bean 4.3
    Galaxy Nexus 10 - stock KitKat 4.4.2
    Galaxy Nexus 7 (2nd Generation) - stock KitKat 4.4.2
    Chromecast
    Nexus 5 - stock KitKat 4.4.2
    OrganizeSB likes this.
  12. #12  

    Default Re: Google Cast for Android Chrome app

    Quote Originally Posted by patruns View Post
    I agree. I believe streaming from a PC browser is far more intensive than an app cast. Add to that the fact that someone could have multiple tabs open that are constantly receiving real time updates. If Google could restrict the Android Chrome app to only casting when one tab is open it might fly but that sounds like a complete rewrite of the Chrome app. Maybe that is what they are doing.
    I think it would be easier to build a stripped down tabless version of CHROME into the Chromecast App, but then my knowledge of programing is limted to the Comodore 64 and some minor JCL from my days as MF systems operator
    I think your skills are improving.
    Moto X
    Nexus10 2012
    Nexus 7 2013 [Son's]
    patruns likes this.
  13. #13  

    Exclamation Re: Google Cast for Android Chrome app

    THANK YOU FOR STARTING THE THREAD! I have been searching hi and low for an answer to such a "DUH" question. I am quite sure it's not an oversight. Google couldn't possibly be that lame. I wonder if Samsung and Google are having a 'tiff'.... ? I think Google has gone to great efforts to block any kind of ranking for this question. Maybe I'm just paranoid but I am so happy I found this thread - I thought I was GOING CRAZY.

    Furthermore, the packaging, if I am not mistaken, says Chromecast can surf the web - doesn't say anything about it not being compatible with certain devices.

Similar Threads

  1. Serious Android Discussion!
    By AaronDeVante in forum General News & Discussion
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 10-12-2013, 08:00 AM
  2. New app - Attachment INBOX
    By luda3455 in forum General News & Discussion
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-06-2013, 09:59 AM
  3. stock android ?.. help
    By rikica in forum HTC Desire C
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-06-2013, 09:54 AM
  4. Some setup tips for the Note 3
    By kilofoxtrot in forum Samsung Galaxy Note 3
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-06-2013, 07:55 AM
  5. SGS 4 - Wireless charging hack for s4 mini?
    By xxaarraa1983 in forum Samsung Galaxy S4
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-06-2013, 06:44 AM

Posting Permissions

B