What exactly can i use chromecast for?

Thomas Daly

Apr 16, 2013
Visit site
i got it in the mail the other day, and have played around with it a bit. i understand this is in its infancy, and more will come. yet, it seems to me that my similarly priced roku player can far better, and more easily, do whatever the chromecast can.....except of course casting a tab.

so what am i missing?
1. cast a tab
2. cast a local file
3. run a few apps off my phone...netflix and youtube.

i am not a roku fanboy, but i can more easily do #2 and 3 with the roku, plus alot more.

i suppose when a local file from a phone or tablet can be cast that chromecast will be on the right track. wish they hadn't taken away that capability with the first update.

perhaps the folks here can list some of the things they do with it so i may learn? thanks peeps.

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
chromecast SDK is still in beta and when it comes out of beta a flood of apps(local file,vodeo apps etc) will support CC.

you have to be patient.. The release is not far away

patruns

May 21, 2011
Visit site
So far I have only used the Netflix app and used Chrome on my PC to cast a tab of a tennis match that was not on TV. I expect apps will slowly get updated to work with it such as the various TV network apps.

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
So far I have only used the Netflix app and used Chrome on my PC to cast a tab of a tennis match that was not on TV. I expect apps will slowly get updated to work with it such as the various TV network apps.
I never thought of casting shows via computer this way - I just might be able to finally finish my the last few episodes of Breaking Bad that are not available on Netflix and can be seen on via AMC. Thanks for that heads-up :p.

jhilker

Trusted Member
Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
I've been using it to play music from Play Music to the speakers with my main TV. Awesome sound!

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk

mavrrick

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Pretty simple.

From mobile
Send content from play movies, play music, hulu plus, and netflix to the CC

From computer
Cast tab from chrome browser to CC. The above services can be sent to the CC by selecting the casting option on their website.

The advantage of the cc over the router is more on interface then functionality. I personally love the Netflix interface on the phone or tab.

Posted via Android Central App

jmarkey77

Mar 16, 2012
Visit site
Not that much different than Roku, Smart TV, or most BlueRay players. Nothing too fancy other than it's nice to be watching something on one TV, with the press of a button it is playing on my tablet as I walk upstairs, then another press and it's playing on the bedroom TV.

Works pretty well for just a few bucks.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF300T using AC Forums mobile app

madisonjar

Jan 19, 2011
Visit site

Pre-dawn raid

Sep 25, 2010
Visit site
Start playing a video on your PC then cast the tab to bedroom or living room TV. Better than watching a show sitting at my desk. I do this with xfinity and Game of Thrones back episodes. You need a pretty powerful computer to do this smoothly however.

anon(5884338)

Apr 11, 2013
Visit site
This may be a stupid question but is there any way to get it to cast NBA game to your TV through the app if you have NBA league pass? Or using chrome browser.

anon(5884338)

Apr 11, 2013
Visit site
I haven't received mine yet but as far as I can tell, you should be able to cast it using Chrome browser on a pc to TV. Not fussed if it doesn't work only cost me $50 down here in Australia.

NicksGarage

May 18, 2010
Visit site
I recently dumped cable and got a couple roku boxes and an antenna. Recently got the Chromecast and find it mostly useful for putting YouTube videos on the big screen. Works great for that. Casting tabs from Chrome, not so much. Also planning to use it when I travel so that I can use Hulu Plus. I'm trying out Netflix but probably won't keep it. The price point for the Chromecast was cheap enough for what it already does. It can only get better.

hog1340

Jun 27, 2012
Visit site
Hey predawn
You say start playing a video on your pc then cast a tab. Does the video have to be from the internet? It can't be something you have on your HD right?
Thanks Ed

Sent from my Nexus 7 using AC Forums mobile app

Panther353

Jun 26, 2012
Visit site
No local content casting yet that I am aware of.

Hey predawn
You say start playing a video on your pc then cast a tab. Does the video have to be from the internet? It can't be something you have on your HD right?
Thanks Ed

Sent from my Nexus 7 using AC Forums mobile app