Can't see fullscreen video when casting a Chrome browser tab.

Chris Dodge

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
I have to say I've been quite underwhelmed with Chromecast. At this point, the only thing that it's remotely useful for is YouTube and Netflix. I was hoping I'd be able to easily broadcast other streams from Chrome onto TV, but I've hit a major snag that Google was completely unable to help me with.

Every time I try to cast a stream, the following happens. I'll load the stream and start tab casting. All good so far. Then I'll click the fullscreen button and the video will disappear from the TV. The audio continues, but the video is gone. I've tried pretty much every possible troubleshooting strategy for this. The ***** I talked to at Google couldn't even tell me if this was something Chromecast was capable of doing. So I don't know if Chromecast just can't project full screened streams or if something is wrong on my end.

And this happens with literally every online stream I've tried (Showtime Anytime, HBOGo, NFL Sunday Ticket, FrontRow Sports, etc.).

Does anyone have any tips or thoughts?

I really hope they upgrade soon, because right now, even for just $35.00, Chromecast feels extremely disappointing for a Google product.

patruns

May 21, 2011
Visit site
Re: Can't go into fullscreen mode with Chromecast on Tab Cast

Not sure why this is an issue for you. When I cast a tab the full video fills my TV screen. The point of casting it is to watch it on my TV. I have no need to make it full screen on my PC.

bcflynn1

Sep 26, 2013
Visit site

I have to say I've been quite underwhelmed with Chromecast. At this point, the only thing that it's remotely useful for is YouTube and Netflix. I was hoping I'd be able to easily broadcast other streams from Chrome onto TV, but I've hit a major snag that Google was completely unable to help me with.

Every time I try to cast a stream, the following happens. I'll load the stream and start tab casting. All good so far. Then I'll click the fullscreen button and the video will disappear from the TV. The audio continues, but the video is gone. I've tried pretty much every possible troubleshooting strategy for this. The ***** I talked to at Google couldn't even tell me if this was something Chromecast was capable of doing. So I don't know if Chromecast just can't project full screened streams or if something is wrong on my end.

And this happens with literally every online stream I've tried (Showtime Anytime, HBOGo, NFL Sunday Ticket, FrontRow Sports, etc.).

Does anyone have any tips or thoughts?

I really hope they upgrade soon, because right now, even for just $35.00, Chromecast feels extremely disappointing for a Google product.

I had the same issue. Thanks to a post on XDA-Developers it got resolved. Go into Chromes settings>>>advanced>>>>system. If the "Use hardware acceleration if available" is checked, uncheck it. Worked for me and now all streaming sites I've tried do full screen just fine. I put the resolution back up to 720 (had reduced it to 480 based on some other recommendation to deal with the issue). Have streamed Showtime Anytime, HBO Go, NBC, and ABC (series streams) with excellent results. The only glitch happens on Showtime Anytime, but that glitch happens on the PC without trying to cast.

BLES718

Oct 10, 2013
Visit site

I had the same issue. Thanks to a post on XDA-Developers it got resolved. Go into Chromes settings>>>advanced>>>>system. If the "Use hardware acceleration if available" is checked, uncheck it. Worked for me and now all streaming sites I've tried do full screen just fine. I put the resolution back up to 720 (had reduced it to 480 based on some other recommendation to deal with the issue). Have streamed Showtime Anytime, HBO Go, NBC, and ABC (series streams) with excellent results. The only glitch happens on Showtime Anytime, but that glitch happens on the PC without trying to cast.

Thanks that worked for me, only problem I have now is that it's glitchy (tick tock kind of movement) movie quality....I'm using time warner's road runner. please help!

bcflynn1

Sep 26, 2013
Visit site

Thanks that worked for me, only problem I have now is that it's glitchy (tick tock kind of movement) movie quality....I'm using time warner's road runner. please help!

All the streamed sources I use (HBO Go, Showtime, NBC, etc.) have some slight choppiness, even without casting. But if yours is more severe, you can try experimenting with the resolution (480 or 720) to see if that helps. It's under "options" in the Chromecast tab in Chrome. Also, whatever performance you get from your streaming source on Chrome on your PC is probably the best you can expect when casting. If casting severely degrades then it might be a hardware/WiFi performance issue. And remember the Tab Casting is still beta.....no guarantees at all.

Chris Dodge

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site

Wow, worked like a charm. Can't believe I spent 45 minutes on the phone with Google and they couldn't answer this. You're a Godsend! Thanks!

Larissa Harris

Dec 21, 2013
Visit site

I'm having the same problems when streaming from the tab, but that part is in Beta. I did just discover that if you use the chromecast app directly from video player on HBOgo (I haven't tried the others), it works great. The apps listed on this page are supposed to be working well, but the tab streaming part might work better soon. Chromecast

Good luck! Hopefully all the video players online will adapt to Chromecast.

sheltaa

Dec 29, 2013
Visit site

I had the same problem with blank videos whenever I went full-screen, but I had to enable Chrome's built-in Flash Player in order to make it work. I went to chrome://plugins, and on that page, I found two files under Adobe Flash Player. I disabled the Shockwave Flash that was in the "c:\Windows\System32\..." location, and I enabled the built-in Shockwave Flash that was in the "C:\Users\Home\AppData\Local\Google\..." location. After making this change, my problem was fixed.

Skot4th

Jan 19, 2014
Visit site

I was having the same issue as above, which following the flash player tip above has now resolved it.

However, I still have an irritating issue.

On my previous laptop I could launch a video in a tap from WatchSeries.ie, load the video full screen and then tab in to another browser window so I could use my laptop while playing the video on my TV full screen.

However on this laptop, if I tab out of the video that's playing on the TV, it takes it out of full screen and back to the normal resolution.

Any ideas on how to fix?

Edit: I've already tried doing whats recommended here http://forums.androidcentral.com/go...een-tab-casting-while-doing-other-things.html and it doesn't work. Thats what I used to do on my old laptop.

Takat

Feb 5, 2014
Visit site
Hey there,
I bought a Nexus 10 and have just seen your anser to the fullscreen video problem.
My problem is that I dont have "Use hardware acceleration if available" in my Advanced Chrome settings...
Anything else I can do?
Because this REALLY annoys me!
Thanks!

Daina Marie

Jul 1, 2015
Visit site
I realize it's been over a year since this post but I had to thank you! I have a Chromebook which has limited ability to change the settings. After going to chrome://plugins I disabled Shockwave. There were 5 plugins total I didn't mess with the others. Now I'm getting a perfect fullscreen cast on my LG tv after a battle ongoing about 3 days! I hope this might help another person especially since Chromebooks have become more popular. Thanks again!!! ♡♡♡