Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Results 1 to 11 of 11
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

    Question Problem with picture size

    I have only used google chrome with Netflix and YouTube and overall am very happy with the purchase. My problem is that the picture is too big for the tv screen (Vizio HDTV 1080p). I don't know how else to put it. The picture quality is fine but it is obvious that parts of it are "cut off." This is the case whether I cast from my android phone, kindle, or iPad 2. Any ideas?
  2. #2  

    Default Re: Problem with picture size

    Check your TV settings. Some TVs allow the picture to be ”zoomed” so if an video was letterboxed it would fill the screen without the black bars.
    I think your skills are improving.
    Moto X
    Nexus10 2012
    2 Nexus 7 2013s [My Children's]
  3. #3  

    Default Re: Problem with picture size

    I've noticed this when casting YouTube. Most of the videos just seem slightly zoomed. I haven't noticed this when casting Netflix.

    I'm not sure if this is the same issue the OP is seeing, but YouTube definitely doesn't fit the screen quite right.

    Posted via Android Central App
  4. #4  

    Default Re: Problem with picture size

    I don't notice this when I'm casting using Hulu, Netflix, etc. Where I notice this a lot is when I'm Tab Casting (or full desktop casting)
  5. #5  

    Default Re: Problem with picture size

    It is your TV. Many TVs will overscan the input by about 5% by default. On my Samsung TV, I have to go into the Menu to change the screen size. I forgot what was the exact name of it.. Fit, Full, or something. You could try to dig into your TV's menu to see if you could find something similar.
  6. #6  

    Default Re: Problem with picture size

    If it was my TV, wouldn't it be happening with Netflix and Hulu also?? The screen size is only an issue (for me at least) when I'm tab casting from a PC or Mac.
  7. #7  

    Default Re: Problem with picture size

    Quote Originally Posted by kzoojason76 View Post
    If it was my TV, wouldn't it be happening with Netflix and Hulu also?? The screen size is only an issue (for me at least) when I'm tab casting from a PC or Mac.
    It has to do with the resolution of the HDMI input. For Netflix and Hulu, the signal from the chromecast would be coming in at 1080p. The TV would know that it is from a HDTV receiver or Bluray player, so it will go to full mode. With the tab cast, chromecast will output the resolution of your computer output, so the TV will go with the default overscan for the PC connection.
  8. #8  

    Default Re: Problem with picture size

    Quote Originally Posted by lostchild View Post
    It has to do with the resolution of the HDMI input. For Netflix and Hulu, the signal from the chromecast would be coming in at 1080p. The TV would know that it is from a HDTV receiver or Bluray player, so it will go to full mode. With the tab cast, chromecast will output the resolution of your computer output, so the TV will go with the default overscan for the PC connection.
    Thank you!! That makes a lot more sense. I'll have to see if there are any settings on the TV that I can adjust.
  9. #9  

    Default Re: Problem with picture size

    I discovered what was causing my tabs and YouTube to appear slightly zoomed. My TV 's picture size had been set to 16:9 and needed to be set to "screen fit." Now everything appears to fit properly, regardless of source. This is on a Samsung btw.

    Posted with Nexus 5 via Android Central App
  10. #10  

    Default Re: Problem with picture size

    Quote Originally Posted by AaronTV View Post
    I discovered what was causing my tabs and YouTube to appear slightly zoomed. My TV 's picture size had been set to 16:9 and needed to be set to "screen fit." Now everything appears to fit properly, regardless of source. This is on a Samsung btw.

    Posted with Nexus 5 via Android Central App
    Yes, I think that was the name (Screen Fit) I was trying to remember. It was the same for my Samsung TV; it was set to 16:9 and I had to change it when I cast the tab.
  11. #11  

    Default Re: Problem with picture size

    My TV (LG) automatically sizes signals coming over the Satellite service BUT, I have to size all signals that originate on the internet. The TV has a setting with 4 choices and is very easy to do on the fly with two clicks of the remote.

Similar Threads

  1. G2 Music Player Problem
    By Kendall Williams in forum LG G2
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 11-17-2013, 09:24 PM
  2. Sold: AT&T Galaxy S4 32gig with extras & Sprint Note II
    By zeropcs in forum The Marketplace - Buy, Sell & Trade
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 11-16-2013, 10:32 AM
  3. Assistance Please with "Downloading, Don't turn of Target!!
    By topiratti in forum Samsung Galaxy Note 2
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 11-14-2013, 09:28 AM
  4. Note 4 with Tizen?
    By Johnly in forum Samsung Galaxy Note 3
    Replies: 34
    Last Post: 11-10-2013, 07:24 AM
  5. Problem with Samsung dive
    By naoufalel in forum Samsung Galaxy S3 I9300
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-02-2013, 04:38 PM

Posting Permissions