HBO GO Picture Quality

ETPhoneHomeT

Aug 1, 2013
Visit site
I updated the HBO GO app on my Droid Razr Maxx a couple of days ago and played a movie via Chromecast on my Panasonic 55" HDTV the other day and noticed that the picture quality isn't the best as the picture and motions aren't real fluid. It's not real bad but the picture definitely is not as smooth as one would expect. Anybody else seeing this?

Nov 27, 2013
Visit site
I wasn't aware that Chromecast enabled HBO GO! I'll have to try this once I get home from work. Hopefully I'll have an answer for you!
I have noticed however that I've had issues with the app just on my tablet. Was unable to check anything else since I don't believe it's released for PS3 yet (no XBOX).

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I wasn't aware that Chromecast enabled HBO GO! I'll have to try this once I get home from work. Hopefully I'll have an answer for you!
I have noticed however that I've had issues with the app just on my tablet. Was unable to check anything else since I don't believe it's released for PS3 yet (no XBOX).

Welcome to the forums.
Bringing up the fact that you are having issues with the app on your tablet, I am inclined to think that the same issue is plaguing the Chromecast. To both the you and the OP, have you emailed the developer, explaining the issue?

To Missy, since you are new, you may consider starting a thread in Introductions, just to say hi to the community.

Nov 27, 2013
Visit site
Welcome to the forums.
Bringing up the fact that you are having issues with the app on your tablet, I am inclined to think that the same issue is plaguing the Chromecast. To both the you and the OP, have you emailed the developer, explaining the issue?

To Missy, since you are new, you may consider starting a thread in Introductions, just to say hi to the community.

Thank you very much! I'll have to do that since I really don't want to do any work today lol ;)
I haven't contacted the developer. Since I've only used it on my android tab (Samsung Tab 2 10.1) I thought maybe it was my net, despite the fact that I have great internet (finally!)

I will have to check when I get home from work. I've been waiting for more apps to be incorporated with Chromecast. I'm yearning to watch some Game of Thrones :D

Golfdriver97

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Thank you very much! I'll have to do that since I really don't want to do any work today lol ;)
I haven't contacted the developer. Since I've only used it on my android tab (Samsung Tab 2 10.1) I thought maybe it was my net, despite the fact that I have great internet (finally!)

I will have to check when I get home from work. I've been waiting for more apps to be incorporated with Chromecast. I'm yearning to watch some Game of Thrones :D

Since you have a pretty mainstream tablet, I would definitely let the dev know.

ETPhoneHomeT

Aug 1, 2013
Visit site
Welcome to the forums.

Just sent an email off to the developer so I'll update this thread if I get a response. I haven't used the HBO GO app all that much but I'm just glad to see another app being added to the Chromecast stable. Assume MAX GO will follow at some point in time. Also, hearing that the SDK may finally be released to developers, so hopefully more good things are to come. I did just check how the movie streamed to my phone and using 3G, it seems to do just fine.

Golfdriver97

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Just sent an email off to the developer so I'll update this thread if I get a response. I haven't used the HBO GO app all that much but I'm just glad to see another app being added to the Chromecast stable. Assume MAX GO will follow at some point in time. Also, hearing that the SDK may finally be released to developers, so hopefully more good things are to come. I did just check how the movie streamed to my phone and using 3G, it seems to do just fine.

Cool. Keep us updated.

From a Sprint Moto X using AC forums app

ETPhoneHomeT

Aug 1, 2013
Visit site
Here's the response I got:
"Thank you for your email. HBO GO requires a very solid internet connection while streaming video. HBO GO will adjust video quality based on the strength of your network connection. A slow or inconsistent network connection could be the cause. To check your connection speeds download the Speedtest.net application.

Thank you,
The HBO GO Team"

dan1431

Mar 29, 2010
Visit site
I swear I must be imagining it, but it seems that if I cast HBOGO from my CPU to my Chromecast the picture is better than if I cast it from my Nexus 7.

Dan

Posted via Android Central App

robertjm

Jan 26, 2011
Visit site
When you say streaming from the CPU do you mean your desktop computer, and you're tabcasting from the Chrome browser? If anything, that should be worse than casting from the Nexus 7 because once HBO Go tells the Chromecast what to stream, control is handed off and is a direct feed coming from the HBO servers. The tablet has no further involvement other than to pause and stop the feed.

Tabcasting bandwidth intense items has never produced good results.

dan1431

Mar 29, 2010
Visit site
When you say streaming from the CPU do you mean your desktop computer, and you're tabcasting from the Chrome browser? If anything, that should be worse than casting from the Nexus 7 because once HBO Go tells the Chromecast what to stream, control is handed off and is a direct feed coming from the HBO servers. The tablet has no further involvement other than to pause and stop the feed.

Tabcasting bandwidth intense items has never produced good results.

From my CPU after starting a movie or what have you, there is a CC icon on the bottom of the screen and that works like any other device.

I am not Tab Casting, but have in the past and didn't notice any sort of issues.

Dan

Posted via Android Central App