Chromecast: Error 16003 while playing Netflix

reelon

May 24, 2011
Visit site
We'll the title says it all. When I tried to play netflix through the chromecast I get the error 16003. If I watch netflix on my nexus 7 and moto X it works find. Any ideas as to what is going on?

Last edited by a moderator:

jpr

Sep 14, 2010
Visit site
Re: Error 16003 while playing netflix

Some people have experienced this after the build update. Others have not. I have not had the update pushed to mine yet so can't tell you first hand.

Have you tried a factory reset? I have no idea if it will help since like I said, I don't have the problem or the build.

inboxnews

Dec 11, 2013
Visit site

Netflix will not cast for me either. I get the 16003 error, and sometimes the 16001 error. I've tried clearing my cache, uninstalling netflix, and reinstalling. Signing out of Netflix, and signing in again. Still the dreaded error on my Huawei cell phone, and my iPad 2. I have also reset my chromecast device, but still not working. Everything worked great up until about 3-days ago. Netflix works on all my devices, but I cannot cast them with Netflix. I can cast Youtube no problem.

jpr

Sep 14, 2010
Visit site

Well, my chromecast updated today and I can still cast Netflix without a problem, so I can't be much help in troubleshooting. Not sure why it is affecting some people and not others. It has been reported to Google but don't know if the fix is on their side or Netflix.

jpr

Sep 14, 2010
Visit site

Question for those having the problem - have you tried connecting to the chromecast in netflix before playing anything? I know one time when I was having a connection problem with netflix, it worked if I connected with the cast icon up top before actually choosing anything to play. Then after I was connected, I was able to choose something to play. You may already be doing that and have the problem anyway but since neither of you mentioned it one way or the other, just suggesting it as something to try if you haven't already.

mzanette

Zee
Aug 22, 2012
Visit site

I was worried about this before I got my update, happy to say that I updated and Netflix plays fine. Sorry to hear about the people with issues though.

dasaucemasta

May 10, 2011
Visit site

Hey guys I was getting error 16003 as well unplugging and restarting the Chromecast didn't do anything. I did a factory reset of the Chromecast and now my Netflix is working again.

Sent from my Droid DNA using AC Forums mobile app

Varjo

Dec 8, 2011
Visit site

Same issue here, 16001 and 16003 errors. I have tried restarts and factory resets, nothing helps (I also tried connecting to Netflix, which works, and then playing video, which doesn't). Confirmed broken with 2 different android phones and a laptop with Chrome.

dan1431

Mar 29, 2010
Visit site

Had the issue for about an hour after my Chromecast updated to the latest software and then suddenly it started working again.

Figured it was an issue on Google or Netflix's as the only thing I did was walk away for about an hour.

Dan

Posted via Android Central App

anon(23306)

May 17, 2010
Visit site

Consider yourself lucky if this has resolved for you. I haven't been able to cast any Netflix from either my nexus 4 or 10 since the update. Very annoying as all other chromecast apps work (YouTube, HBO etc) and I can cast Netflix from my PC.

johna2u

Jan 4, 2012
Visit site

Thought I'd better check this out. My Netflix and Chromecast are working fine. Its nice to see the profiles enabled on Netflix now. I no longer have to wade through all the fairy princess movie recommendations that pop up after my grand daughter visits.

Sent from my Sero 7 Pro using Tapatalk.

BooMaLiCiOuS

Dec 17, 2013
Visit site

I have 2 Chromecasts that I just received and hooked up yesterday. They both did their updates as soon as I plugged them in, and both are giving this and the 16001 error as well yesterday. I tried again today without doing any unplugging or resetting, and Netflix started working again. After 2 episodes of Futurama I switched to some Christmas show for my daughter...... and got the 16003 error. Now I cant cast again and it has been a few hours. This is only a Netflix issue for me as well.

LeFox2002

Dec 21, 2013
Visit site

Just installed 2 new chromecasts giving them names to describe their install locations. Experienced the 16003 error when trying to stream NetFlex, after installing all updates. All other apps, YouTube, HBOGo, etc, all played, So, I went back to review all steps and noticed the factory name of the device was shorter than the name I gave. Shortened my name and now NetFlex streaming works. Hope this helps.

jpr

Sep 14, 2010
Visit site

The problem should have been resolved with the new build update to 14975. Your chromecasts since they were newly installed may not have updated yet when you first tried.

timmyb74

Dec 31, 2013
Visit site

Don't expect any help from Netflix on this. I have been on their online chat support for the last 4 days and their final answer was that it is definitely not their problem. Chromecast support wasn't any more helpful. After 4 days of emails they admit they don't know what the problem is or how to fix it. I keep trying the walking away and trying later tactic, but that isn't working either. I'm trying to find a cure with this forum's experts, but honestly I'm beginning to feel Chromecast just isn't a good product at this time. I'm about ready to return it. Yes, the build is 14975.

Last edited:

timmyb74

Dec 31, 2013
Visit site

Question for those having the problem - have you tried connecting to the chromecast in netflix before playing anything? I know one time when I was having a connection problem with netflix, it worked if I connected with the cast icon up top before actually choosing anything to play. Then after I was connected, I was able to choose something to play. You may already be doing that and have the problem anyway but since neither of you mentioned it one way or the other, just suggesting it as something to try if you haven't already.

Didn't work for me...

tepollack

Jul 13, 2013
Visit site

I found that a variation on this idea worked for me. I started a Netflix movie without casting to chromecast. After the movie started, I went to the chromecast icon and switched to casting to Chromecast. At first, I expected to get the dreaded 16003 error but after a minute or so, it loaded and played. I tried on my phone and my tablet and it worked both times

Good luck

wiston

Feb 4, 2014
Visit site

solu??o simples, deixar o rel?gio na fun??o hora autom?tica ou de fabrica e ajustar sua hora por meio de fuso hor?rio!

Lakabux

Feb 6, 2014
Visit site

Any solution for this yet? Tried uninstalling & reinstalling, starting netflix movie first, tried connecting first then starting movie. Works on my Toshiba tablet, but the wife's Samsung just errors out (16003). You tube works, but not Netflix.

Phil Lewis1

Feb 7, 2014
Visit site

A Solution I have tested several times and found to be reliably successful has been to go into Applications manager on my Galaxy Note 10.1, find the Netflix App Force it to stop and clear the Cache. Once done the Tablet can once again connect to the chromecast.

What has not worked so far...
  • Factory resetting the Chromecast
  • Reinstalling the Netflix app
  • Reinstalling the Chromecast App
  • Rebooting Chromecast
  • Rebooting the tablet
  • Rebooting the Router

I have two Chromecasts on two wireless networks and only one has had problems. I plan to do some packet sniffing next time to see whether the tablet is trying to connect to the right IP address. More testing to do but only clearing the cache and restarting netflix on the Tablet has been able to clear the issue so far...

I keep getting the error after closing Netflix but clearing the cache and data fixes the issue.. till next start of Netflix.
Phil

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Finsrepair