Is it really with it?

thatguy97

Nov 18, 2013
Visit site
I've been hearing a lot of buzz over this thing and I'm wondering what your expieriences have been with it, for $35 bucks its pretty compelling

Sent from my Nexus 7 2013

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
It's an amazingly inexpensive gadget that's easy to set up and allows you to watch YouTube, Netflix, Hulu, and HBOGo on your TV, so I'd say it's a steal at $35!

benhmadison

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
I've been hearing a lot of buzz over this thing and I'm wondering what your expieriences have been with it, for $35 bucks its pretty compelling

Sent from my Nexus 7 2013

Love mine! I also figured out a way to watch movies that I have on my PC. If you upload them to your Google drive, you can cast your chrome browser to the chromecast and watch your movies.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app

akuki

Aug 8, 2013
Visit site
Love mine! I also figured out a way to watch movies that I have on my PC. If you upload them to your Google drive, you can cast your chrome browser to the chromecast and watch your movies.

How long does a movie upload take? Been waiting a while for one I moved on the PC, to show in the Drive app.

benhmadison

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
How long does a movie upload take? Been waiting a while for one I moved on the PC, to show in the Drive app.

Unless you have internet with a really fast upload speed it takes a long time. I usually do mine at night before I go to sleep and it's done in several hours.

akuki

Aug 8, 2013
Visit site
Unless you have internet with a really fast upload speed it takes a long time. I usually do mine at night before I go to sleep and it's done in several hours.

Thanks. I'll try again.

Checked this morning's movie transfer after 6 hours, & it was there :D

Last edited:

ljxdaly

Oct 20, 2013
Visit site
i'm not a fan. mine is sitting in a drawer. my roku is far superior in most ways, and doesn't screw up my wifi.

if screen mirroring is in fact coming, i'll dust it off and give it another go.

benhmadison

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
Thanks. I'll try again.

Checked this morning's movie transfer after 6 hours, & it was there :D

Yea it takes some time but in the end it's worth it since you can stream it and it's in the cloud so it's not taking up space on your device.

The Hustleman

May 28, 2010
Visit site
It's an amazingly inexpensive gadget that's easy to set up and allows you to watch YouTube, Netflix, Hulu, and HBOGo on your TV, so I'd say it's a steal at $35!

It would sound great if my ps3, xbox 360, smart TV, wifi blu ray player, Roku, and apple TV didn't already allow me to do that.

Now if they came out with this before those things were available then it would have made a lot more sense.

TdotLee

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
I bought my Chromecast because I subscribe to HBO and realized that HBO Go offered every episode of every season of every series that HBO has released (plus the HBO docs & movie collection). I can now cast & watch the remaining seasons of Entourage or the Wire that I missed on my TV. I can also re-watch the entire Sopranos series or Game of Thrones. Verizon Fios' on demand doesn't offer very much in that regard. So far though, I am very pleased with my Chromecast! I got it for $29.99 with the $6 Play Store credit.

Bishop_99

Jul 17, 2013
Visit site
Yup, a Blu-ray player already offers this, plus higher quality movies and a greater selection. I personally don't see the appeal to this, Appletv, or Roku for that matter.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Now if they came out with this before those things were available then it would have made a lot more sense.

You mean, if they came out with it before those things were available, then it would have made a lot more sense to you. For those of us who have none of those things, it makes a lot of sense!

It's worth pointing out as well that many smart TVs and Blu-ray players with apps can be painfully slow.

ljxdaly

Oct 20, 2013
Visit site
i suppose it does make sense for someone that doesn't have all those things. thing is, i'm not sure people realize how far superior a roku is, and an older model can be had for nearly the same $$$. i guess i am a roku fanboy, but at least i do have a chromecast to base my comparison. and it is that comparison that MADE me a roku fanboy.

i do admit that screen mirroring will be cool. i bet that roku eventually gets screen mirroring as well.

Groundhound

Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
Chromecast is a great, cheap entertainment device that has some advantages over other content streaming devices. It uses your phone or any computer on your network as a control device, and these devices typically have a better UI/keyboard than what you have with the remotes on most smart tv?s, blueray players, etc.

If you live alone this won?t matter much, but for those who share their lives with others who may have their own content, the Chromecast allows each person with their own content account (Pandora for example) to use their accounts on the same Chromecast. Most other streaming devices cannot easily change accounts from one person to the next.

Being able to cast a Chrome tab or your entire desktop has some practical advantages that are available now. For example, once a month my wife hosts a meeting of our neighborhood?s HOA covenants committee, either at our home or at the neighborhood clubhouse (has wifi & large tv). In both locations I use our Chromecast to easily display documents from my laptop in the back of the room to the tv without messing with a cable between the laptop and the tv. Documents such as pdf & doc files, drawings, photos, emails, and Google Maps satellite & street view are often displayed on the tv during these meetings, all wirelessly from my laptop. Since the content is all static the slight delay between my laptop?s screen and the tv is tolerable. There are other more expensive and troublesome ways to accomplish this, but Chromecast is unique in doing it all in a device that fits in my pocket for $35, on any tv with an hdmi port and a wifi network. In addition, since I still have unlimited data on Verizon, I can set up my own wifi network with my phone anywhere Verizon covers (I?m rooted), so all I really need is a tv with hdmi, my phone, laptop, and the Chromecast.

soma4society

Oct 2, 2011
Visit site
i suppose it does make sense for someone that doesn't have all those things. thing is, i'm not sure people realize how far superior a roku is, and an older model can be had for nearly the same $$$. i guess i am a roku fanboy, but at least i do have a chromecast to base my comparison. and it is that comparison that MADE me a roku fanboy.

i do admit that screen mirroring will be cool. i bet that roku eventually gets screen mirroring as well.

There's no question that roku's are a great deal, especially for the price. I've been a fan of them for years now and am so glad I cut the cord. I also like the Rokus and chromecasts (+Netflix etc) because they represent the (eventual) undermining of the choke hold companies like comcast and the major networks have on content. At least, I hope they do.

Nexus 5/Moto X