Chromecast now can play local content!

donc13

Apr 25, 2011
Visit site
Avia media player is now available for Android phones, tablets & Google TV. You need the upgraded version (all of $2.99) to be able to cast the local content to your Chromecast. Works Great with my DNLA server. Pictures, Video & Music.

No, this is not an ad... I have no connection to Avia.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

gozirra

Apr 28, 2011
Visit site
Looks like overwhelmingly negative reviews. Sure would be nice to have functionality back that I had when I bought this thing in July.

ohyeahar

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
I?m probably in the minority on this, but I?m not too keen on the ability to cast local content from our phones/tablets at this point in time.
It?s basically sending the file(s) via Wi-Fi to the router who then sends it via Wi-Fi to the Chromecast. This is probably ok for pictures or music. But just like casting a Wi-Fi connected PC Chrome tab, lag due to insufficient bandwidth becomes an issue with HD videos.
I think the next generation Chromecast should really be a small box (like the Nexus Q) about the size of the original Nexus 4 wireless charger. It should have the option to connect to the router via Ethernet in addition to Wi-Fi. Using a physical cable should easily eliminate bandwidth lag issues.

As an aside, if you want to cast local video files, just upload them to Youtube as unlisted videos. Then you can just cast them with your YouTube app.
If you want to cast local music files, just upload them to Google Music. Then you can just cast them with your Google Play Music app.

clickerman

May 19, 2013
Visit site
Using avia and my Samsung s4 I am able to watch hd videos stored on my phone with no skipping or stuttering at all.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

qortuba

Apr 30, 2012
Visit site
The App is great, gave me the option to cast my media files from my phone or from my NAS server.

But the only problem the lack of support to other extensions only support to mp4 files.

jpr

Sep 14, 2010
Visit site
The App is great, gave me the option to cast my media files from my phone or from my NAS server.

But the only problem the lack of support to other extensions only support to mp4 files.

Plex has a ton more functionality than Avia. Direct casting from the cast icon in the Plex player is right now only available to subscribers but will become free soon. And in the meantime, if you don't want to subscribe and your computer is suitable for tab casting, you can run Plex Web in Chrome and cast the tab and play everything in the Plex Web app for free.

qortuba

Apr 30, 2012
Visit site
Plex has a ton more functionality than Avia. Direct casting from the cast icon in the Plex player is right now only available to subscribers but will become free soon. And in the meantime, if you don't want to subscribe and your computer is suitable for tab casting, you can run Plex Web in Chrome and cast the tab and play everything in the Plex Web app for free.

Well Waiting for Plex to release their feature for free, but for now Avia is giving me the option to cast my content without the need for the pc to around.

someguy01234

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
I've been trying them out, they are made for different purposes. With Plex I think there is more work to do, you have to setup a server, so you have to have a NAS setup, which I don't, or have your computer running.

While Avia don't have cloud feature, it can play, cast and DLNA any of the local contents in your Android device, instead of having to log into some server to do it. It does allow some more freedom than Plex. But right now the app is crippled because it have trouble playing AVI and audio in MKV files.

Last edited:

thatguy97

Nov 18, 2013
Visit site
I don't want some dumb subscription just to cast local storage if avia does it cheaper with no email subscription crap I'm going a via

Sent from my Nexus 7 2013 or Moto G

jpr

Sep 14, 2010
Visit site
I don't want some dumb subscription just to cast local storage if avia does it cheaper with no email subscription crap I'm going a via

Sent from my Nexus 7 2013 or Moto G

You really should learn what you're talking about before making posts about it. You're free to use whatever you like but what you just posted was utter nonsense. You're only making yourself look really bad.

I'm not against using Avia - I bought it and tried it. It is very limited right now. Hopefully, it improves. If what you are looking to do falls within it's limitations, then of course someone can use it if they like.

I specifically responded to a post from someone talking about the lack of support for anything other than mp4 and gave solution to that using Plex. There is both a totally free solution as I posted and a subscription solution, which will shortly also become free.

Plex also does transcoding, which Avia does not. This is HUGE difference between the two and a big advantage for using Plex. Plex does require some work initially setting up the server, so Avia is easier for people who don't have a media server and don't want one and just want to cast supported filetypes from their phones - mostly music. For people who want to cast video and people who do have a media server, they know that although Avia can connect to a dlna server, it will not cast the majority of filetypes on it rending it mostly useless for video.

If the filetypes you want to cast are all supported by Avia and you don't want to cast from computers and use all the other benefits of Plex, then use Avia and be happy with it. If like the person I responded to you want to be able to do things that Avia can't do, Plex is one very good solution.

f1nzup

May 29, 2010
Visit site
I got Avia, but when I try to play local media I get the sound but not the the picture. Anyone else have this problem?

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S3

jpr

Sep 14, 2010
Visit site
I got Avia, but when I try to play local media I get the sound but not the the picture. Anyone else have this problem?

Like I was talking about above, Avia has next to no support for video files.

f1nzup

May 29, 2010
Visit site

jpr

Sep 14, 2010
Visit site
I am trying to play an MP4. Is that not an acceptable format in Chromecast?

mp4 is but the video codec may not be. Additionally, like I mentioned, Avia fails even at playing supported codecs that should be playable on chromecast. First, see if the video codec is even supported though.

Legobricke

May 20, 2010
Visit site
I am trying to play an MP4. Is that not an acceptable format in Chromecast?

Strange...

I can play MP4 and MKV files with zero problem... The only other video files I use are AVI.... But Chromecast doesn't support AVI.

shanghaichica

Aug 17, 2013
Visit site
I have this problem with some of my videos. Most of the one on my S4 play fine, but others I either get sound and no picture or it buffers a lot.

Posted from my nexus 7

mrvco

Jun 28, 2013
Visit site
I was excited to find Chromecast support in Avia... finally a use for my Chromecast!!!!

Well that is until I upgraded to the Avia Pro app and tried to use it. I have a DLNA server running and I can see the content via the Avia app on my n4. The m4a, mkv and mp4 files play just fine on my phone. However they refuse to play on my Chromecast, all I get is the "unsupported format" message from the Chromecast.

wickedcontra

Nov 5, 2011
Visit site
I tried Plex and I uninstall it. I added a folder that had lots of sub folders. when I deleted some of the subfolders so it would not show on the server, it deleted the files from the pc. Not good Plex not good....

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sandersc