Chromecast never stays discoverable

petefromphilly

Oct 1, 2012
Visit site
So I've set My Chromecast up a number of times. It's worked beautifully and then becomes undiscoverable by every device I have, Nexus 10, Nexus 4... I can go into my router's settings and see that the Chromecast is connected to the network. I run the chromecast app and try to get it to connect. Sometimes it's worked, other times I've been forced to factory reset and set it up again. Now I can't even get it to set up.

I've tried every router setting trick I can find. It's driving me nuts. What really drives me crazy is I keep reading all this praise from people who love it. Mine has been infuriating.

Could it be some routers just don't agree with the device?

dcastillo

Oct 27, 2011
Visit site
Not sure if yours is the same as my issue, but I'll start casting a movie then after X amount of time if i turn the phone back on to pause the movie i no longer have a cast icon (assuming i lost the connection to the chrome cast ) after lots of trial and error i found all i have to do is toggle the wifi on my phone and it finds the chrome cast evertime..
This didn't happen in the beginning , I'm guessing it a software bug in one of the later releases...

Posted via Android Central App

macleod52

Nov 7, 2013
Visit site
Have you tried changing the WiFi broadcasting channel? I had a similar issue yesterday and I changed the channel from Auto to 11 and it fixed it for me. Maybe give that a shot?

johna2u

Jan 4, 2012
Visit site
You might try replacing your USB cable. My Chromecast started working intermittently then finally failed completely. Turns out it was a faulty USB cable. Replaced the cable and it is working perfectly now.

Sent from my Sero 7 Pro using Tapatalk.

flacousa

Jul 25, 2012
Visit site
Both of the problems described started with the last update, can't be discovered unless the Chromecast device is disconnected and then reconnected to power source, it is also losing the connection in the middle of a movie, I sent them a problem report, hope others with problems do the same.

Sent from planet earth

Last edited:

JiminCO

Dec 24, 2013
Visit site
I have had Chromecast running for about two weeks. Recently it has started dropping the wifi connection when i am casting from Real Player Cloud. It has happened both when casting from my LG smart phone and from Windows 7 on a laptop wireless connected to my main computer. The only way I have been able to get CC back on line is to disconnect it and perform a factory reset then run setup again on my devices.

Problem solved. I found a comment on a user forum that was explaining the same problem I was experiencing. The solution presented there was to replace the USB cable powering the Chromecast device. I did that and have been casing video from my laptop and phone for over 6 hours straight without one drop. The USB cable that I replaced was the one that came with Chromecast. I love the simple fix we most often overlook. Hope this helps others.

Update, still have problem. About a week after my previous post the problem resurfaced. Chromecast dropping off the network. I notice the problem the most when cast from Real Player Cloud. The problem has to be with chromecast itself. I believe this because when the chromecast drops, the video is still streaming on my laptop that I cast from. If it was the WiFi I would loose the signal on my laptop as well. But I don't the video continues to play on the laptop. So far I have: 1)changed USB cable; 2)changed the power from USB to direct connect to a electric outlet; 3)connected the dongle both directly to the HDMI port and with the extender; 4)checked signal strength (which is 100% at -49dBm); 5) the chromecast dongle is only 18 feet from the modem; 6)checked that I am the only one using the channel set on my modem within my neighborhood. I did get a little improvement when I changed the USB cable and again when I changed to direct power. But the problem still persists. Sometimes it will cast for 10 minutes then drop, sometimes it casts 20 or 25 minutes before dropping. Usually after about 10 minutes the chromecast reconnects to the network without me doing anything.

Last edited:

Nadim Barsoum

Jul 10, 2015
Visit site
Yeah, this is definitely a firmware bug. Mine just updated itself like a week ago and now it's dropping almost daily. Really frustrating. I can ping the device and even browse to it's info link <ip-address>: 8008 /setup/eureka_info?options=detail and it spews back it's guts at me. But it's not discoverable. ARGH!

Kevin Morin

Jun 25, 2014
Visit site
I'm having a similar problem in that I unplug USB and on restart can connect but play only one show, when trying to play the next episode, CC is undiscoverable. Check router, it is on channel 11 and the CC shows up in my list of clients (using Asus RT-N56U). If this is a recent issue with the latest firmware is there a way to go back to a previous version?

Rarry

Oct 23, 2014
Visit site
I had trouble for ages with my two Chromecasts intermittently undiscoverable. They wouldn't drop out when playing something, just often not visible and I'd try rebooting stuff to get to see them again. For a while I even had a second router just for them with my main router only on 5Mhz. But a few weeks ago I tried just using the one router again but this time with the 5Mhz switched off and that seems to have solved the problem and now when I go to connect they're always there.

Posted via the Android Central App

pheatton

Mar 30, 2010
Visit site
Happy to see this isn't just me. It's been driving me crazy for the past few days!

Posted via the Android Central App