Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By patruns
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default "No big deal but your wifi is off"

So I dumped Comcast to get on the internet on TV thing. Being an old lady, I am not very computer literate nor do I own any smart stuff. I have a PC about 4 years old and a flat screen TV about 1.5 years old. My internet provider is Clear. Today I bought a Google Chromecast and a Netgear wireless adapter. I installed the netgear and all the appropriate light are lit. When I pluged the chromecast into the TV and downloaded the set up, I see: " No big deal, but your WiFi is off." Guess what? It is a big deal. How do I fix that? Is my computer unable to work with a WiFi? I am about to toss the whole thing out in the yard. Please help.

Default Re: "No big deal but your wifi is off"

Hi! Welcome to the forums.

First, do you know if you have a router and a modem for your internet, or just the modem to plug your computer into?

If just the modem, you'll need to buy a router (cheaper to buy it from a store than rent one from Clear, probably).

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk 2

Actually it sounds like the Netgear is the router!

Is there a phone number on the box? They will help you set it up on your computer and secure it (your WiFi) with a password.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk 2

Welcome to Android Central! In order to have a home Wifi network, you need a router, which connects to your home's internet. You said you have Clear--is that DSL, cable, or something else? If it came with a modem, you need to hook that up to the router, then set up the router according to its instructions. I'm assuming the NetGear device you have is a router, but NetGear also makes adapters that plug into a USB port to give a device the ability to connect to a wifi network. If you have something like that, then you won't be able to set up a home wifi network correctly.

Posted via Android Central App

Fyi, a router is typically about 6 inches square or so, often with a couple of antennae. A wireless adapter is usually the size of a thumb drive and plugs into a USB port.

Thanked by:
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

After 4.5 hours trying to jam everything there is to know about WiFi into my head, I called Google and asked them what the problem is...... "Just a desktop? No smart devices?.....No Chromecast! Nope, can't be done! Where, on anything that I have read about Chromecast does it say "Can't be used with a basic desktop??? Nowhere! The guy said, well, you should know that. The guy from Best Buy should know that. He didn't. Nobody knows that. A router doesn't convert a desktop into a WiFi device. I brought all that stuff back to Best Buy....Then I thought, how do I turn my humble desktop into a WiFi device? Google searches turned up a wireless adapter. That is what I need. Thanks for all your suggestions and B. Diddy, yes, you know. Maybe you should tell Best Buy.

I have WiFi from cable internet modem plus router. I can use it with the computer connected to the modem and then every wireless device I have...

Sent from my LG870 via Tapatalk 2

Where, on anything that I have read about Chromecast does it say "Can't be used with a basic desktop???
    Not to rub salt in the wound but:
    "Requirements
    Wi-Fi enabled supported device and HDTV.
    Wi-Fi use requires 802.11 b/g/n access point (router)."

That's on the Google Play page for Chromecast.

You only need a wifi device to set it up. You can cast from a Chrome tab after that on your PC. Do you have any friends with a Android phone that would help out and install the Chromecast app on their phone and set you up?

Pat
    Nook Color - CM10.1 ( Jelly Bean 4.2.2) on eMMC
    Google Galaxy Nexus - stock Jelly Bean 4.3
    Galaxy Nexus 10 - stock KitKat 4.4.2
    Galaxy Nexus 7 (2nd Generation) - stock KitKat 4.4.2
    Chromecast
    Nexus 5 - stock KitKat 4.4.2
    Thanked by:
    ultravisitor likes this.

Sorry that it caused so much frustration, but maybe you could look at this as a learning experience. It sounds like you don't have a home wifi network, so maybe it's time to set one up!

and a Netgear wireless adapter.
    I just noticed that now. Do you have a wifi router in your home which would be connected to your cable modem? It sounds like you just got an adapter for your PC.
    Pat
    Nook Color - CM10.1 ( Jelly Bean 4.2.2) on eMMC
    Google Galaxy Nexus - stock Jelly Bean 4.3
    Galaxy Nexus 10 - stock KitKat 4.4.2
    Galaxy Nexus 7 (2nd Generation) - stock KitKat 4.4.2
    Chromecast
    Nexus 5 - stock KitKat 4.4.2