1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Chromecast images using a lot of Bandwidth

Is there a way to disable the background images that update continuously?
    My Chromecase is using exactly 0.28GB of Bandwidth per day.
    It started sometime between December 17th and December 24th.

My guess is that the background images keep updating even when the TV is off. The images are ~455 KB, and update every minute, which would add up to 0.62 GB per day, but with some caching it would use less if images are reused, so that seems like a probable cause.

I just came back from the holidays, and I had no wifi connected device other than the Chromecast that had any power, so I am sure it is my Chromecast that is using the bandwidth.

Default Re: Chromecast images using a lot of Bandwidth

If you have a usb port on your tv, you can plug it in there so that it will shut down when the TV shuts down. Normally, it is better to power by AC but if you have bandwidth limitations to be concerned about, it would be either that or unplug it when you are not using it. I would also suggest sending feedback to google to add an option to use a static image. Of course if you go out of town, it is best to unplug any unnecessary devices and appliances anyway for multiple reasons, but when you are in town, those are your choices. And I think it would be good if google could add that option anyway.

Just curious as why it is better to power by AC. I am currently running power through USB.

Posted via Android Central App

Quote Originally Posted by ABD501 View Post
    Just curious as why it is better to power by AC. I am currently running power through USB.

Posted via Android Central App
    It is not necessarily better. I have mine powered by a USB port. TV goes off and so does the dongle. That means every time I turn the TV on it reboots. No real issues for me. Goes back to the age old question: Should I turn my PC off when I am done or leave it running. Some people swear you should just leave it on. I have been turning mine off for years and my last one lasted over 10 1/2 years. I only replaced it because it was old. Still ran fine.
    Pat
    Nook Color - CM10.1 ( Jelly Bean 4.2.2) on eMMC
    Google Galaxy Nexus - stock Jelly Bean 4.3
    Galaxy Nexus 10 - stock KitKat 4.4.2
    Galaxy Nexus 7 (2nd Generation) - stock KitKat 4.4.2
    Chromecast
    Nexus 5 - stock KitKat 4.4.2

Quote Originally Posted by patruns View Post
    It is not necessarily better. I have mine powered by a USB port. TV goes off and so does the dongle. That means every time I turn the TV on it reboots. No real issues for me. Goes back to the age old question: Should I turn my PC off when I am done or leave it running. Some people swear you should just leave it on. I have been turning mine off for years and my last one lasted over 10 1/2 years. I only replaced it because it was old. Still ran fine.
    The PC comparison isn't accurate at all. You don't turn off your computer by pulling the plug on it while it is booted up and running. You wouldn't be using that computer for 10 years if you did. And if you did that while you while updating the firmware on your computer, you wouldn't be using that computer for 10 more seconds without a great deal of work and expense to fix it.

The most important factor that makes using the AC adapter preferable to using a TV USB port is that if it shuts off with the TV you could inadvertantly be shutting off power to it while the firmware is being updated. So if you are going to use the USB port, you should make sure right before shutting off your TV everytime that it is not in this process.

Now there are some TVs that power the USB port even when off but if the OP has one of those it won't help them then for their purpose in this thread at least. It would be best for them to just plug in the chromecast only when being used and then unplug it after if they need to be concerned about usage limits. Most TVs right now do shut off USB power when the TV is turned off but everyone should check for themselves on their own TV if they are unsure.

So, other than that main reason listed above, there are also other reasons that will not affect everyone, depending on your TV and the rest of your setup. Some people experience interference when plugging it into the TV. Some people have had various issues such as no audio or problems selecting inputs when USB powered. Every TV is different and has different bugs and also can be purposely designed with power saving features such as shutting off the usb port when it does not think it is in use (typically according to hard drive standards, not media players), etc. Ideally, you don't experience any of these problems, but some people have found their TV does not work well at powering a streaming device through the USB or that the proximity of the USB and HDMI port causes problems.

There is also the potentially longer wait for updates. It can not update when the power is off and if you are using it while it is on, it does not have a chance to update. There's also the inability to use CEC. Not everyone has CEC on their TV and not everyone wants to use it (some even have bugs with CEC that make it better to not use it on their TV), but if you do want to use it, you have to plug it into AC. I use CEC not only to switch inputs when I start casting, but I also use it to have the chromecast turn on my TV every morning while I am still in bed in a different room so I can use my wireless remote app on my phone to turn on the news. It comes in very handy for me personally.

Anyway, the most important reason, if you are not experience any bugs related to using the USB port, is to avoid corruption during an update. So if you plug into USB, then it is best to check everytime you turn off your TV that it is not updating the firmware first. The majority of the time, of course, it will not be, so it's not something to worry much over if you forget, but to avoid unnecessary problems, take those couple seconds to check.