Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By mtncmpr
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Best Way To Power Down Chromecast?

New member here. Thanks to all for all the info located on this site. I hope to be able to contribute in the future.

I have used different terms for searching this site and the internet, but still haven't found an answer to the following:

I've seen lots and lots of info about whether to leave CC powered up all the time or not, and also read that powering off at the same time the unit may be updating would not be good for the unit (ruin?). My question is this; Is there a "proper" way to power down the CC dongle to assure that it won't interrupt an update, or possibly damage the dongle for whatever reason if not powered down properly? Do you just "pull the plug" and hope for the best?

If I have overlooked the answer to this, my apologies for the post.
    Please share link if so. Thanks!

Default Re: Best Way To Power Down Chromecast?

Phil did a nice video response to this question on the blog, which is here: Ask AC: Do you leave your Chromecast plugged in all the time?

You shouldn't have any problems with leaving the Chromecast on and running.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

You shouldn't have any problems with leaving the Chromecast on and running.

Patrick,
    Thanks for replying and the link, but problems with leaving the Chromecast on and running is not what I was questioning.

The question is; Is there a "proper" way to power down the CC dongle to assure that it won't interrupt an update, or possibly damage the dongle for whatever reason if not powered down properly?

Judging by the number of views to this thread and with lack of answer(s), I'm guessing a lot of others are like me and not sure either...
    lol

IIRC while it is updating "something" appears on the screen so If you can see the defautl screen I'd imagine you should be good.
    I think your skills are improving.
    Moto X
    Nexus10 2012
    2 Nexus 7 2013s [My Children's]

Proper way to turn off is to grab the USB and pull. You pick side.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

We have ours connected to our TV in the bedroom. The problem we have is that the light constantly blinks and it looks like a 1970's Disco tech while we are trying to sleep. So we unplug it for that reason. I might just put some black tape over the light and not worry about it.
    You were born an original. Don't Die a C OPY

My chromecast is connected to the USB port on the TV. Turning off the TV turns off the chromecast and it is still running great after months of turning on and off everyday multiple times. Most of the time I am not even watching the chromecast's input so I would have no idea if the chromecast is updating or not when I turn off the TV. I figure that the chromecast is $35 - months of netflix, it is pretty much a disposable unit!
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

I did some more digging by going to Google Support. Apparently, this was a question that had not come up before or at least not often enough for it to be easily answered by the support person I dealt with. After doing some research and consulting with another support person(s?), my support person gave the following information.

To assure you're not interrupting an update to the CC device when you interrupt it's power source, make sure you check the CC screen on your tv and see if there is a "update in process" type message being shown. This should be done even if you are not at the time using CC but possibly watching another source using a different input (do this just in case it's updating).
    Should you interrupt the power to the CC when it is updating, then do a factory reset on the CC device by removing the CC device from its HDMI port > return power to the CC device > press and hold reset button on the CC device for approx 25-30 seconds.

As already mentioned in previous post(s), it probably doesn't update often enough to be concerned about it being in the middle of an update when it gets powered off. So, guess I'll be playing the odds like most everyone else...