Chromecast vs. Ultrabook direct connect

BrianCioffi

Apr 25, 2012
Visit site
Hi all. I looked, but could not find an answer pertaining to this. Why buy a Chromecast when I can connect my Sony Vaio Duo 11 Ultrabook directly to my receiver via HDMI? It seems to me that connecting my laptop does everything the Chromecast does, but more. Am I missing something? Please, professionals, shed some light on what I am missing. (besides the size difference) Thanks!!

paintdrinkingpete

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
Hi all. I looked, but could not find an answer pertaining to this. Why buy a Chromecast when I can connect my Sony Vaio Duo 11 Ultrabook directly to my receiver via HDMI? It seems to me that connecting my laptop does everything the Chromecast does, but more. Am I missing something? Please, professionals, shed some light on what I am missing. (besides the size difference) Thanks!!

Size difference, convenience...that's really all it is. I mean, if you wanted to stream something on Netflix, for example, it's theoretically easier to just pick up your phone, pull up the movie/show to watch and send it to the Chromecast vs. booting up your laptop and plugging in the cable. What if you have to use the computer for some other purpose, but your wife/gf/so/roommate/etc wants to watch something on Netflix? In that case the Chromecast would come in handy.

The only other thing I can think of that my friends and I like to with the Chromecast when we're hanging out is that with YouTube you can pull it up and then anyone can add videos to the current playlist right from their phone (assuming they're on the same wifi network), so in that respect it's kind of cool for parties and such.

I guess the real answer to your question is that it's a $35 dollar device that can save you the time and hassle of having to wire up your computer each time you want to stream something.

BrianCioffi

Apr 25, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the thorough reply. You brought up some valid points and I am glad to know I wasn't missing out on some other aspect. I ordered a CC yesterday, so I haven't gotten to plug and play yet, but looking forward to it. I do have an Ultrabook with a touchscreen and a separate laptop, so my Ultrabook could be a dedicated device, but it really is as simple as plugging in the HDMI. It also has that awesome Sony feature of a 2 second wake up from sleep mode and a 6 second boot from power off.
But the ability for other people to share and stream from their phones would certainly come in handy. Maybe the CC would be good for the bedroom and then pick up a Roku 3 for the main system. I'll play with the CC first. Thanks!!!

BrianCioffi

Apr 25, 2012
Visit site
Not sure what you mean. The CC can use either USB or wall power, my ultrabook uses wallpower and/or battery. My ultrabook has an HDMI out and 4 USB's, so it could easily power the CC. I got the CC yesterday and ended up putting it in my bedroom. I just use it with my phone up there. It is a nice little system.

scrounger

Dec 14, 2010
Visit site
Not sure what you mean. The CC can use either USB or wall power, my ultrabook uses wallpower and/or battery. My ultrabook has an HDMI out and 4 USB's, so it could easily power the CC.
I was pointing out that the CC uses USB power (even when plugged into the AC is minor), while your ultrabook would require being plugged in to the AC (or eventually to recharge the battery). I don't know of any ultrabook that runs off of 5v - <2A.

Posted via Android Central App