Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Chromecast causes some interference with Over The Air Reception

I've "cut the cord" and use an outdoor antenna with my 4 year old Sanyo HDTV. I noticed once I hooked up my Chromecast to the TV that my reception on several channels became less stable. Basically every few seconds a I'd get a hiccup in the signal where the picture would pixalate and/or the audio who stutter. Once I removed the Chromecast from the HDMI port the TV reception went back to normal. Not a big deal but if I'm going to watch OTA TV I now need to remove the Chromecast from the television.

Default Re: Chromecast causes some interference with Over The Air Reception

Quote Originally Posted by greatgoogly View Post
    I've "cut the cord" and use an outdoor antenna with my 4 year old Sanyo HDTV. I noticed once I hooked up my Chromecast to the TV that my reception on several channels became less stable. Basically every few seconds a I'd get a hiccup in the signal where the picture would pixalate and/or the audio who stutter. Once I removed the Chromecast from the HDMI port the TV reception went back to normal. Not a big deal but if I'm going to watch OTA TV I now need to remove the Chromecast from the television.

How is the antenna connected to the TV? IF it is another HDMI port try switching them around.
    I think your skills are improving.
    Moto X
    Nexus10 2012
    2 Nexus 7 2013s [My Children's]
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Quote Originally Posted by Devlyn16 View Post
    How is the antenna connected to the TV? IF it is another HDMI port try switching them around.
    the antenna is connected via the coaxial connection. The other HDMI port is used to feed video from my computer. I'll try switching them and see if that makes any difference.

Quote Originally Posted by greatgoogly View Post
    Make sure the coax connection from your antenna to the TV is tight AND that the shield on the coax (where it enters your house) has a proper ground/lightning arrestor installed.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk

I had the same symptoms for the past couple of weeks. Perfect OTA reception on my PC through a TV tuner, but periodic hiccups on the TV. Running out of things to try, I turned off the wireless router. The hiccups and other symptoms increased. Interesting! When I unplugged the Chromecast the interference stopped immediately. So, when I turned off the wireless router, Chromecast must have stepped up its activity, attempting to restore its connection. I have RJ-6U cable running the 4 feet or so between the back of the TV to the signal splitter; not the quad-shielded variety. The Chromecast is plugged into an HDMI connector which is only 3 cm away from the coax connector. So, even if I had a quad shield RJ-6 conductor there might not be enough shielding inside the TV unit to protect the OTA signal from the Chromecast's RF emission. Despite some expertise in this area I didn't think to suspect the Chromecast's Wi-Fi radio to be the culprit.

Global Posts
    54 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

I am experiencing the same issue on one of my TV's but not the other.