Can one Chromecast be used by both an Android phone and an iPhone?

jungao

Jan 10, 2014
Visit site
I have my Chromecast set up working for my Samsung Galaxy phone. My wife uses an iPhone.She has installed a Chromecast app on her iPhone. She can see the Chromecast icon on her phone. But we have trouble setting it up to play music. Is it because this can not be done? Or we have not got it right? Thanks!

jpr

Sep 14, 2010
Visit site
One chromecast can have any number or type of devices that can connect to it. It is not dedicated to one device. You'll have to be more specific about the problem you are experiencing on the iphone, but it is not because you set up your CC with your android phone.

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
I have my Chromecast set up working for my Samsung Galaxy phone. My wife uses an iPhone.She has installed a Chromecast app on her iPhone. She can see the Chromecast icon on her phone. But we have trouble setting it up to play music. Is it because this can not be done? Or we have not got it right? Thanks!

if she is in the same wifi network, yes, you both can use your device to cast.

with play music when you cast it goes to a queue i believe so check the queue in play music app

jungao

Jan 10, 2014
Visit site
Thanks to both of you. My wife rarely uses apps and I know very little about iPhone. At this point I just want to make sure this can be done.

On my Google 'Play Music' I can see a CC icon so I stream the music to my amplifier. Is it similar in an iPhone? Whatever the default music play she is using, since she installed the CC app, she should see an CC icon on her music player app? We tried last night but I didn't see a CC icon.

patruns

May 21, 2011
Visit site
You really do not need the Chromecast app once you set up Chromecast. Either of you can then cast from any app that supports it. Netflix, Hulu+, Google Play Music, Google Play Movies, etc. Many more apps to follow I am sure.

jungao

Jan 10, 2014
Visit site
One more thing: after installing the CC app on her iPhone, the Apple app store shew two more apps, YouTube and Netflex. I wonder if they are the only two apps that can stream to CC. When I finished installing CC app on my Android phone I saw tons of Apps.

Is it possible that on an iPhone, YouTube and Netflex are the only two can stream to CC?

jungao

Jan 10, 2014
Visit site
You really do not need the Chromecast app once you set up Chromecast. Either of you can then cast from any app that supports it. Netflix, Hulu+, Google Play Music, Google Play Movies, etc. Many more apps to follow I am sure.

She has a lot music on her iTune. She just wants to play them on the big audio system at home. No Netflix, nor Hulu+, Google Play Music, Google Play Movies etc.

The same with me, I have my music collection on the GooglePlay cloud and I stream them to out audio system. We don't have much video to play.

jpr

Sep 14, 2010
Visit site
She has a lot music on her iTune. She just wants to play them on the big audio system at home. No Netflix, nor Hulu+, Google Play Music, Google Play Movies etc.

The same with me, I have my music collection on the GooglePlay cloud and I stream them to out audio system. We don't have much video to play.

See my reply above. Apple will never allow chromecast to work with itunes. She will need to use Google Play Music to cast.

jungao

Jan 10, 2014
Visit site
See my reply above. Apple will never allow chromecast to work with itunes. She will need to use Google Play Music to cast.

She likes the look of an iPhone but hates the way iTune works. I did not known (nor did she) iPhone has Google 'Play Music' app.

Here is my question for iPhone, not CC: Will Google 'Play Music' app on iPhone work without connected to WiFi? i.e. does the app makes copy of music from GooglePlay Cloud to her phone for offline play? I ask this question because she needs to listen to music on the train to work. If not, I guess she still has to keep her iTune collection.

jpr

Sep 14, 2010
Visit site
She likes the look of an iPhone but hates the way iTune works. I did not known (nor did she) iPhone has Google 'Play Music' app.

Here is my question for iPhone, not CC: Will Google 'Play Music' app on iPhone work without connected to WiFi? i.e. does the app makes copy of music from GooglePlay Cloud to her phone for offline play? I ask this question because she needs to listen to music on the train to work.

I don't have an iphone so I can't personally tell you how it works, but this is part of the description for it in itunes on the page I linked you to:
"Access your music anywhere without syncing, and save your favorites for offline playback."

So just try it out with a couple songs first and see how it works for her and then decide if she wants to upload her music there. It's a free app so you've got nothing to lose trying it.

jungao

Jan 10, 2014
Visit site
I don't have an iphone so I can't personally tell you how it works, but this is part of the description for it in itunes on the page I linked you to:
"Access your music anywhere without syncing, and save your favorites for offline playback."

So just try it out with a couple songs first and see how it works for her and then decide if she wants to upload her music there. It's a free app so you've got nothing to lose trying it.

Got to the link. I'll let her try tonight. Thanks again. It's really helpful!