Chromecast: Plexpass support
01-24-2014 03:54 PM
- I have been active on the support forums since the launch of Chromecast support on Plex. The Plex team has been very tight lipped about any indication. Some folks are having great luck with it, while others are having tough experiences. I have been in both camps and am starting to realize that there are a lot of moving parts that play into the type of experience you will have such as the stability and performance of the server that Plex is running on as well as your Wifi network.
There are a couple of known bugs outstanding. I am sure they are not going to release to the wild until that are resolved. We have seen active developers on the forums and have been releasing frequent updates.
If you are that antsy... Why don't you join us as a Plex pass member and support the team. I for one think that it's well worth the price of admission.
Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk01-11-2014 01:05 AM
- Yeah I only started using Plex once it got the Chromecast support but I'd much rather watch content on a TV than a tablet. So if it's going to be a while longer I might just pony up and pay for Plexpass until the Chromecast support is realesed to the wild.
Posted via Android Central App01-11-2014 03:33 AM
- I had never heard of plex before the chromecast announcement. I setup a plex server on my laptop easily enough (had to rename some of my files and follow their naming conventions, and forward a port in my router). It was working well, so I paid for 1 month of plex pass, downloaded the app, and it has worked flawlessly for me. I was even able to use it on the road, accessing my laptop's media that was at home, without any issues. Only thing I've noticed is you simply have to close out of the plexpass app and reopen it to get it to see new chromecasts. Oh once I had to restart the plex server to get it to display new media. Again, extremely minor issues to me. I'm only paying monthly for now as I imagine there will be free options soon enough, but I don't mind one bit right now.
Thanks to chromecast, plex, netflix and a new antenna, I'm about to "cut the cord". The last piece for me is to get SiliconDusts HDHomeRun and set it up on a linux MythTV box I built this week from old parts laying around. They don't ship the newest version until the 17th.01-11-2014 10:10 AM
- I can cast my Digital Movie Content, recorded TV, Home Videos, Photos, and Music. It works great as long as you have the CPU to convert anythig that needs it.
Don't expect Chromecast support to be free anytime soon. I suspect that it will be exclusive to Plex Pass members for a long time if not indeffinately. I have had allot of great sucess with it since I upgraded to the latest Server and Plex client.01-23-2014 07:49 PM
- Google Hardware, Services & Apps
- More Google Devices & Services
- Google Chromecast
Chromecast: Plexpass support
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD