1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Question Trouble getting Google Chromecast to connect to second TV

I just set up my new Chromecast today on my TV in the living room. However when I came to my room to set it up there, my TV (with the Chromecast plugged in) is still saying that it is connected to the living room TV, and is not playing anything on my bedroom TV. Does anyone have the same problem or know of a way to fix this? I can't even get to the screen to set up a new TV.

Thank you!

UPDATE- I restored the factory settings and re-set it up on my bedroom TV and it worked. But on the FAQ page, Google answered the question, "Can I move Chromecast to a new TV?" with, "Yes, Chromecast was built with portability in mind. You can move it from room to room for use with other HDMI enabled display devices. You won’t need to set up your device again, as long as your Chromecast is connected to the same Wi-Fi network, you'll be able to Cast right away."

So I have to believe there is a way to move Chromecast to other TVs without having to FDR.

If any one has any ideas or have figured it out please let me know!

Thanks again!
    Last edited by cmualex; 01-11-2014 at 08:31 AM. Reason: UPDATE

Default Re: Trouble getting Google Chromecast to connect to second TV

You shouldn't have to do anything. It will still be called Living Room TV if you move it to another room but that is only because you gave the device that name during setup. Sounds like a temporary glitch.
    Pat
    Nook Color - CM10.1 ( Jelly Bean 4.2.2) on eMMC
    Google Galaxy Nexus - stock Jelly Bean 4.3
    Galaxy Nexus 10 - stock KitKat 4.4.2
    Galaxy Nexus 7 (2nd Generation) - stock KitKat 4.4.2
    Chromecast
    Nexus 5 - stock KitKat 4.4.2
    Thanked by:

The Chromecast doesn't "know" what TV it is connected to, only what wireless network it is on. As patruns said, if you name it "Living Room TV" it means nothing as far as what TV it is connected to. You could call it "cmualexChomecast" and it would still work on any compatible TV that is within range of your WiFi.

You are more likely to have trouble due to weaker signal in the new location. Could be that the bedroom is just that much weaker.

Sent from my A700 using Tapatalk
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

I thought of that, but the router is in my bedroom! The signal is the strongest in there.
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

The problem is now fixed and I can freely switch from TV to TV. I don't know why, but after I did a FDR and set up on my bedroom TV first, the Chromecast would work on both my living room and bedroom TV. Probably just a glitch but thank you!