Can I power the Chromecast using an external battery pack?

thatguy97

Nov 18, 2013
Visit site
I know this is random and not practical but would the chrome cast work off a battery pack or charger pack?

Sent from my Nexus 7 2013 or iPhone 5

zkSharks

Retired Moderator
Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
I know this is random and not practical but would the chrome cast work off a battery pack or charger pack?

I'd hardly say that's an impractical question; it's a good idea. I can't say for sure, but my guess would be yes assuming the pack in question can provide the necessary current.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Even if it didn't, wouldn't the Chromecast just eat the battery faster than what the battery pack was configured for?

From a Sprint Moto X using AC Forums app

mavrrick

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Even if it didn't, wouldn't the Chromecast just eat the battery faster than what the battery pack was configured for?

From a Sprint Moto X using AC Forums app

If the battery pack was designed to rapid charge no. To rapid charge the battery pack would have to put out over 1 amp and that is more then the CC needs.

I think the question is were would you be that you would have wifi and a tv but not have to a power outlet.

Posted via Android Central App on my Note 3

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
If the battery pack was designed to rapid charge no. To rapid charge the battery pack would have to put out over 1 amp and that is more then the CC needs.

I think the question is were would you be that you would have wifi and a tv but not have to a power outlet.

Posted via Android Central App on my Note 3

I was just following the line of questions for the OP. My cast is plugged into the USB port in my TV.

rageboardr

May 10, 2012
Visit site
So did you ever try it out? I am very curious about this, as I want to travel with my chromecast, and if an external battery like the
Amazon.com: PowerGen 9000mAh External Battery Pack High Capacity Power Bank Charger Dual USB output (w/imbedded Micro USB) for Apple and Android Devices: Cell Phones & Accessories
could power the Chromecast for a few hours, that would be easier than finding an open outlet in a hotel room. Also at home my wife doesn't want anymore wires in the living room, and the external battery could stash behind the tv for a movie or two.

MikeyB4

Apr 22, 2014
Visit site
You can power a Chromecast with an external battery. I just tested it over the weekend when I was at a hotel in Detroit. The TV did not have an USB port and the I couldn't access the wall outlet because it was behind some furniture. I plugged the Chromecast into the external battery via USB and it worked fine. I watched a 90 minute movie and it barely drained battery.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nanran21