Chromecast: App for Local Media Casting?

mavrrick

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Re: Local Media Casting: What App Do You Use?

$75 for a plex pass, no thanks.

-Jason

You really have to think about what it gives you. Plex is about much more then providing Chromecast playback. It is about a personal cloud you control, with the flexiabilty a full blow server can provide. It also provides amazing functionality to connect your content to others while also placing web based and external content avaliable to you on any plex playback device you have. I haven't found anything recently that I think has the flexiablity as Plex. I am not saying it is for everyone as some people may not care for the extra funcationality it offers. I am just saying $75 is for alot more then CC support. It also helps that I already have a WHS 2011 Home Server. So it literally piggy backs on that system and is always avaliable.

It basically creates a PLEX server from your device, allowing you to play whatever is there locally.

Edit - At least that is how the iPad app works.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Well I will test it out later. I will create a brief video on my tab and try to play it back to my CC without putting it on my PMS server.

The more I think about that were does plex even show local content in the user interface. I don't see it anywhere. Are you refereing to playing back Synced content?

Last edited:

gidgiddonihah

Apr 3, 2011
Visit site

The more I think about that were does plex even show local content in the user interface. I don't see it anywhere. Are you refereing to playing back Synced content?

When I first opened the App after a factory reset on my iPad I was welcomed with a popup that asked me if I wanted to create a Plex Server on the device from local context. It explained I could use it to view things on my iPad and have other device access those files.

Craig King

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site

Well I confirmed this is kind of right. I confirmed with my note 3 that you can do local playback from the device with synced content. You have to enable the option under settings>>System for"Advertise as Server". The description is pretty clear that it is for synced content only. I would also pointed the quality during play back was lowered because I synced at the medium setting.

No where in the software though is an option for content created outside of plex on the device. It seems to center around content from a Plex Media Server

Well that is my observation with my nexus 10 tonight and note 3. I guess the iPad could be different, but that wouldn't make much sense.

Posted via Android Central App

gidgiddonihah

Apr 3, 2011
Visit site

Well I confirmed this is kind of right. I confirmed with my note 3 that you can do local playback from the device with synced content. You have to enable the option under settings>>System for"Advertise as Server". The description is pretty clear that it is for synced content only. I would also pointed the quality during play back was lowered because I synced at the medium setting.

No where in the software though is an option for content created outside of plex on the device. It seems to center around content from a Plex Media Server

Well that is my observation with my nexus 10 tonight and note 3. I guess the iPad could be different, but that wouldn't make much sense.

Posted via Android Central App

I haven't played around with it much but I think the only stuff I was messing around with was synced with PLEX. Sorry for the confusion everyone.

mavrrick

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site

I haven't played around with it much but I think the only stuff I was messing around with was synced with PLEX. Sorry for the confusion everyone.

No biggie. That is why we talk about it and test it. I have never even thought to test it until tonight. Just shows no one app does it all. And it all depends on your need.

It is still cool to that it works the way it does. Those of us with plex could pin a few shows or movies to our devices and watch them away from home if needed. No Internet needed just a local wireless network.

I have a feeling the reason plex works this way is so it can transcode the video to ensure compatibility.

Posted via Android Central App on my Note 3

hornetster

Mar 4, 2014
Visit site

Sort of on topic...
Hoping someone might be able to point me in the right direction..
I'm after an android app that can take whatever you are playing on the phone, regardless of WHAT is playing it, and send it to a DLNA Amplifier, over wifi.
Reason for asking: Have just been given a subscription to MOG (mog.com), which is a music streaming service, but it doesn't itself support playing to DLNA/Airplay devices.
Being (slightly...) anti-Apple, would prefer a DLNA solution, rather than Airplay. (Have already found one Airplay app: https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...icgamestudios.airtunes.android&token=oleh33D_ &hl=en - but doesn't seem very reliable.)
Any thoughts appreciated.
Thanks.

mavrrick

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site

I think you need to approach MOG.com about this. Strictly speaking I would expect content providers to what to avoid what you are trying to do. You probably should just ask if they can support chromecast.

gidgiddonihah

Apr 3, 2011
Visit site

I think you need to approach MOG.com about this. Strictly speaking I would expect content providers to what to avoid what you are trying to do. You probably should just ask if they can support chromecast.

Unlikely as MOG is shutting down.

mavrrick

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site

Unlikely as MOG is shutting down.

Well if that is the case, then I would suggest looking at something else. I know it was free, but free still stink if it is only good for a short period of time and then will be completely useless. I suspect this will be more of a hassel then it will be worth..

JiminCO

Dec 24, 2013
Visit site

I use Videostreaming for Google Chromecast. It works flawlessly casting directly from my HD. Right now it only casts mp3 and mp4 files. I also use Realplayer Cloud, but it takes a very long time to upload the video from my HD. And you are limited to the amount of storage space you have in your account.

JiminCO

Dec 24, 2013
Visit site

If you don't want to mess with setting up a server (Plex) then try, Videostream for Chromecast app. It woks great for mp4 files and other file formats are to be release shortly. My only problem with it is that I don't have a launch button on my toolbar to start the app. I don't know if this is an inherent problem with the app or something with my computer. To launch, I go back to the app store and there is a launch button there that starts the program. Just a little inconvenience.

There is a new dedicated thread for the app at: Videostream for Chromecast: Stream Local Video From Your Computer
It is fantastic.

mavrrick

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
This isn't a real app as much as a chrome plug-in. It is a interesting idea though. Not real sure what to think of it at the moment. A simple way to cast without to much setup is good.

azmirr

Mar 9, 2014
Visit site
This isn't a real app as much as a chrome plug-in. It is a interesting idea though. Not real sure what to think of it at the moment. A simple way to cast without to much setup is good.

Hey mavrrick - we decided to implement as a chrome app as it's the easiest way for us to hit linux, osx and windows all at once - we're going simplicity and none of the cost of buying a plex pass to get your DL'd videos to the TV.

mavrrick

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
I am going to try it out tonight. I am curious about this as a alternative for friends and such that may not be interested in running Plex.

Simple is always good as long as you get everything you need. In the grand scheme I suspect Plex and this are really in two totally seperate categories.

mavrrick

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Ok, so I tried it. Not bad at all for what it is. But it is really basic. Really is just about taking a file and sending it to the CC.

So kind of like I said above, different categories.

My thought is most probably need something in between plex and this.

Like if you could add some sort of content scanning and then remote control with a portable device like a phone or tablet that would rock.

Right now I would never consider it because I would have to go to my desktop all the time.

JiminCO

Dec 24, 2013
Visit site

I only cast from my desktop so this really works great for me.
BTW The developers "built VideoStream as a Chrome App (a little different from the extensions you're probably used to). The neat thing about Chrome apps is that they can actually look and feel like native OS apps, meaning that they can be launched from the Start Menu (windows) or Launchpad/Applications folder (OSX), just search for "VideoStream" either OS and it should popup!" (from dedicated thread for the app at: Videostream for Chromecast: Stream Local Video From Your Computer)
I'm sure the in between plex and this is only a brainstorm away.

pseudoware

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
I also use Avia not only for local content, but also to stream from my media server to Chromecast. I use Serviio, but Plex would also work. I can also stream from Serviio to my Surface tablet, game console, or my future DLNA-compliant TV.