Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By mavrrick
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default No 5.1 audio with Netflix on Chromecast

I have MY CC plugged into my a/v receiver and though it says a program is in 5.1 but it plays IN LPCM 48.

Posted via Android Central App

Default Re: No 5.1 Netflix on chromecast

How old is your reciever and can it decode Dolby digital plus.

Posted via Android Central App on my Note 3
    Craig
    Phone :: BB880>>BB9000>>Captivate>>Galaxy Note1>>Galaxy Note 3
    Tablet :: B&N Nook >> Xoom >> Nexus 10
    Game/Mini-PC :: Zealz G802 >> Ouya

Hi -

I had the same problem. I have a Panasonic receiver w/ Panasonic TV (not sure if this makes a difference) and the remote for the receiver has a set of buttons controlling the surround features. I chose "movie" and it just kicked in. And, like others, I did this with Hunger Games because it's verified by others to be streamed as 5.1.

Good luck.

The key is the reciever has to support Dolby Digital plus. That isn't the same as Dolby Digital. If the reciever doesn't support it you will be stuck with stereo audio.

Craig
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

My receiver is new enough and handles all the formats. I have no problem with 5.1 or even 7.1 from my dish and Blu-ray. Maybe it's the input I chose for the CC.

Not sure if my receiver (2011 Yamaha RX-V371) supports DD Plus or not. My CC is plugged in to the TV as my thinking was that for casual casting, Youtube, local stuff, I wouldn't want the amp on.

The TV (Samsung 46D5520) then connects to the amp via optical out, so I can output audio.

Even on what content Netflix list as HD and 5.1, I don't get DD, just a faux DPLII 5.1.

The amp can handle DTS/DD HD master audio from bd, and DD when broadcast here in the UK, so I'm guessing my amp can't fully resolve what NF is putting out.

Still happy though, both with my Chromecast and Netflix. Streaming I did get OK from Lovefilm but they've just transferred it to Amazon UK last week, who then promptly broke the app.

Much gnashing of teeth all round. Shaping up to be a right bollox up.
    Mike

UK

2012 Nexus 7 on 4.4
    2013 Nexus 4 on 4.4
    2013 Chromecast

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Bell View Post
    My receiver is new enough and handles all the formats. I have no problem with 5.1 or even 7.1 from my dish and Blu-ray. Maybe it's the input I chose for the CC.
    Dolby Digital plus is the newest standard that Dolby has released. Even newer then Dolby Digital True HD. It is very possible that your reciever doesn't support it. That has been found to be the problem allot

Quote Originally Posted by Minkey1 View Post
    Not sure if my receiver (2011 Yamaha RX-V371) supports DD Plus or not. My CC is plugged in to the TV as my thinking was that for casual casting, Youtube, local stuff, I wouldn't want the amp on.

The TV (Samsung 46D5520) then connects to the amp via optical out, so I can output audio.

Even on what content Netflix list as HD and 5.1, I don't get DD, just a faux DPLII 5.1.
    Ok, first I looked up your receiver and it does does support Dolby Digital Plus. I also looked up the TV can't couldn't find anything that was definitive. What I do know though is that you won't be able to send it over fiber back to the receiver. The old optical standard doesn't support enough bandwidth. You may be better served if you plug the CC into the receiver directly. I would suggest looking into pass-through on your receiver for those casual times you want to listen or watch something with out the receiver. Mine has the pass-through functionality and it works great.
    Craig
    Thanked by:
    Minkey1 likes this.
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

Sony STR-DN1020 receiver

You are right in that it supports DD+.

The document that shows it is here https://docs.sony.com/release/specs/STRDN1020_mksp.pdf.

What port do you have the CC plugged into. Is it plugged directly into the receiver or into your TV?
    Craig
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  

It's in the video 1 port of my receiver.

Quote Originally Posted by mavrrick View Post
    Dolby Digital plus is the newest standard that Dolby has released. Even newer then Dolby Digital True HD. It is very possible that your reciever doesn't support it. That has been found to be the problem allot

Ok, first I looked up your receiver and it does does support Dolby Digital Plus. I also looked up the TV can't couldn't find anything that was definitive. What I do know though is that you won't be able to send it over fiber back to the receiver. The old optical standard doesn't support enough bandwidth. You may be better served if you plug the CC into the receiver directly. I would suggest looking into pass-through on your receiver for those casual times you want to listen or watch something with out the receiver. Mine has the pass-through functionality and it works great.
    I think you've found the problem. The receiver doesn't have pass-through, so would need to be on. Neither do I think I could "view" set up with CC plugged into it.

And neither does the TV support ARC, so I can't send audio back to the amp via HDMI, only via the inadequate optical.

So there's the rub. The amp suits in all other respects, but doesn't have pass-through. The TV suits, but doesn't do ARC. So unless I change one, t'other, or both, I'm getting about the best I can for now.

Thank you for clarifying it for me.
    Mike

UK

2012 Nexus 7 on 4.4
    2013 Nexus 4 on 4.4
    2013 Chromecast

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Bell View Post
    It's in the video 1 port of my receiver.

Well that port should have all the features. Could there be a setting limiting the hdmi version the port is operating at. Looks like it should work.

Make sure the AVR is on before you connect to the cc with your app. Pass-through could prevent 5.1 from working.

Craig
    Thanked by:
  13. Thread Author  Thread Author    #13  

Don't know what it could be. Oh well.

14. Thread Author  Thread Author    #14  

Default Re: No 5.1 audio with Netflix on Chromecast

Don't know what happened but now it works. All I did was pull it out and plug it back. Go figure.

Global Posts
    263 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Do u still have the optical cable out from your tv?

I'm hooked!
  16. Thread Author  Thread Author    #16  

Quote Originally Posted by italianotampa View Post
    Do u still have the optical cable out from your tv?

I don't use the optical out. It works fine now in video 1.