Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Chromecast: Need ideas non-TV options

Been a Chromecast user from day one (was one of the lucky ones who scored one right after they announced it) and I really do enjoy it. Currently both of my TV's have one. I am planning an outdoor stereo that I would like to control with a Chromecast. The stereo would consist of two outdoor speakers. Is there any other option to connect the chromecast to the speakers other then a stereo receiver? I believe that this will be my only option, which I am fine with, but if anyone else has an idea please let me know. I don't plan on having a TV outside.

I like the idea of using the Chromecast in this situation because it's cheap and I like the ability to just bring up Google Music and switch devices with ease. I have also thought of doing a Sonos set up but that would require much more expensive equipment.
    Current Gear: S5, N7 (2013)
    Retired Gear: HTC Nexus One, Samsung S2, Samsung S3, Galaxy Tab 7, B&N Nook, Galaxy Tab 10.1, Nexus 7 (2012)

Global Posts
    22,266 Global Posts
    ROM
    Liquidsmooth ROM

Default Re: Need ideas non-TV options

Offhand, I am not aware of another solution. I would honestly just go with what you are planning.

Phone Timeline
    'If we could change ourselves, the tendencies in the world would also change.' - Mahatma Gandhi
    Community Guidelines and also here

I think the issue is that the stuff needed to make it work would make it more costly.

At the least you would need a adapter to convert the hdmi to stereo analog output. Then output that signal to a amplifier of some sort. Which connects to the speakers.

Then the question is, is that better then some bluetooth options avaliable.

Posted via Android Central App on my Note 3
    Craig
    Phone :: BB880>>BB9000>>Captivate>>Galaxy Note1>>Galaxy Note 3
    Tablet :: B&N Nook >> Xoom >> Nexus 10
    Game/Mini-PC :: Zealz G802 >> Ouya

Frankly, the best option is Bluetooth speakers. There is no way I am aware of to cast anything directly to regular speakers. You need at a minimum an amplifier and something to convert a digital signal to an analog signal. It would seem to me that a Bluetooth speaker is at the very least just as inexpensive as simply buying regular quality speakers.
    Pat

Galaxy Nexus 10 - stock KitKat 4.4.4
    Galaxy Nexus 7 (2nd Generation) - stock KitKat 4.4.4
    Chromecast
    Nexus 5 - stock KitKat 4.4.4
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Thanks guys. I have the speakers already so it looks like I will be on the look out for a receiver. I don't mind going the way of bluetooth but I would like to keep everything consistent if possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Still Mostly Harmless View Post
    Thanks guys. I have the speakers already so it looks like I will be on the look out for a receiver. I don't mind going the way of bluetooth but I would like to keep everything consistent if possible.
    Could do something like http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B003OE...0-20&m1k=vb_ac with a bluetooth bridge of some sort. Or simply a aux cable from the phone.

Posted via Android Central App on my Note 3
    Craig
    Phone :: BB880>>BB9000>>Captivate>>Galaxy Note1>>Galaxy Note 3
    Tablet :: B&N Nook >> Xoom >> Nexus 10
    Game/Mini-PC :: Zealz G802 >> Ouya