Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default PlexiCast - Cast movies to Chromecast from Plex library

My new app PlexiCast lets you cast movies/videos from your plex library to your chromecast.

I know plex now has chromecast support built in. But I started this back last summer when the chromecast beta sdk first came out. I figure there are still some folks not wanting to pay for a plexpass subscription, so now they have another option until chromecast support is added to the regular features of the plex app.

My app has a free 7 day trial. Then a one time in app upgrade to the full version to get unlimited casting.

This app will not transcode your videos like the plex app will. So it will only play video formats supported by the chromecast.
    Transcoding is now an experimental feature. You can enable in in the settings.

● No guarantees.
    ● Transcoding may not give good results.
    ● This app calls your Plex Media Server's transcoding engine.
    ● A number of factors like Wi-Fi network throughput, Plex server specs and server load play a part in successful transcoding.
    ● If you experience problems with transcoding, there are a number of suggestions in the plex forum to improve transcoding results.
    ● Please do not leave negative ratings/comments if transcoding does not work for you. The results you receive are beyond this app's control.

It also only works for movie/home movie categories. So no tv show, music or photo support currently. If these features are important to you then I'd suggest paying for a plex pass subscription or waiting until chromecast feature is available to all plex users.

Google Play Link

Default Re: PlexiCast - Cast movies to chromecast from Plex library

That's awesome! Thanks for giving everyone another choice. I'm not familiar with Plex, but I can still appreciate your work making this new app!
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Default Re: PlexiCast - Cast movies to chromecast from Plex library

Now supports transcoding as experimental feature.