Chromecast: Will not cast Netflix from Android Phone

Mar 9, 2014
Visit site
I'm looking for some help. With no problem I'm able to watch Netflix using my laptop to the Chromecast. From my GS3, I'm not getting the icon to cast Netflix. From my GS3, I have no problem listening to Google Music but Netflix and Youtube will not work. Anyone know why Netflix will work from my laptop but not from my phone?

I've rebooted the Chromecast and tried to uninstall and re-install Netflix on my phone and I still can't stream my my phone. Netflix works great from the laptop though!

Last edited by a moderator:

rusty502

Jan 6, 2014
Visit site
Re: Will not cast Netflix from Android Phone

Did you download the Chromecast app from the app store? If so, try removing and reinstalling

rusty502

Jan 6, 2014
Visit site

Yes I did that too. Only the Google Music app will play from my phone to TV, Netflix and YouTube will not.

Scott, I have no idea, maybe try going into recovery and clearing cache? I'm using chromecast with no issues, did it work at first and the stop?

rusty502

Jan 6, 2014
Visit site

I'll try clearing cache. But it never worked, only the Google Music app has worked from my phone. Thanks for your help though!

Post back with results, I had Netflix and hulu+ loaded before I got my CC, loaded the CC app when I set mine up, I've only had it a month or so and have had no problems, I feel it has to be a problem with the CC app

Mar 9, 2014
Visit site
No luck. I uninstalled both Chromecast and Netflix on my phone and re-installed, along with resetting the CC device. Netflix still doesn't work from my phone but the music app does. At least it works from my laptop.

rusty502

Jan 6, 2014
Visit site
No luck. I uninstalled both Chromecast and Netflix on my phone and re-installed, along with resetting the CC device. Netflix still doesn't work from my phone but the music app does. At least it works from my laptop.

I wish I could be of more help Scott, it almost has to be an issue with the CC app, been a while since I set mine up, don't really remember the set up procedure, but iirc it was pretty straight forward, I'm sure someone will come along with more suggestions.

mavrrick

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
That sounds like the app on the phone is having a issue. The CC is working as it should if other stuff is working. What version on Netflix is on your phone.

Posted via Android Central App on my Note 3

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
Try switching off wifi from the phone then re-enable it. Something isn't working right and it seems like you tried everything that should get it working.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app

Mar 9, 2014
Visit site
I think it's the app. When I click "ready to cast" in the app, it takes me to settings. Within the settings I've re-entered the WiFi password. I did disable WiFi in the phone and enabled it again. Netflix version is 3.2.1.

I'm tempted to buy a tablet and see if that works. Lol

mavrrick

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Same version as me. So that should be fine. What about the version of Google play services.

What about Google play movies. Does that work.

May want to try 1 force close Netflix. 2 clear its data. 3 uninstall. 4. reinstall

Last thing I can think of for you to try would be a factory reset. But those always suck :p

rusty502

Jan 6, 2014
Visit site
I think it's the app. When I click "ready to cast" in the app, it takes me to settings. Within the settings I've re-entered the WiFi password. I did disable WiFi in the phone and enabled it again. Netflix version is 3.2.1.

I'm tempted to buy a tablet and see if that works. Lol

One more thing, you CC and phone are on the same wifi network correct? I have two wireless routers set up in my house, and occasionally my phone will connect to my second router, and of choose I lose CC from phone.

Mar 9, 2014
Visit site
Same version as me. So that should be fine. What about the version of Google play services.

What about Google play movies. Does that work.

May want to try 1 force close Netflix. 2 clear its data. 3 uninstall. 4. reinstall

Last thing I can think of for you to try would be a factory reset. But those always suck :p

The Google Play Store is version 4.5.10. Google Play Music is v5.4.143N.1048534. The Google Play Movies does work and that's version 3.0.25

I did force Netflix closed and uninstalled. Reinstalled and still nothing. :( By force close, you go into setting and application manager and close, correct? that's what i did.

Crazy thing is, back in Nov i bought the Chromecast and I swear Netflix worked on my phone back then, but i can't be 100% sure. i returned it because i just wasn't impressed with it. I wanted to give it another shot and i do like it now, easy to use with my computer. Is there maybe something in my Netflix settings I'm missing?

Also, when i'm in the chromecast app on my phone, i click "ready to cast" and it goes right to the settings....is that what is should be doing?

One more thing, you CC and phone are on the same wifi network correct? I have two wireless routers set up in my house, and occasionally my phone will connect to my second router, and of choose I lose CC from phone.

yes, they are both on the same network. i have only one router and both apps on are on same.

Mar 9, 2014
Visit site
i'm far from being a tech expert but i think the issue is with the Chromecast app on my phone. I deleted the Chromecast app and i was still able to play Google Music on my TV. I installed the Chromecast app again on my phone but Netflix will not work. The software version for the Chromecast app on my phone is 1.3.10. When i click "ready to cast" It states it's connecting to my Chromecast but then it goes to the settings. i don't think it ever connects to the Chromecast.

We are able to connect Netflix to the Chromecast thru my wife's Kindle, so we're able to stream that to the TV. My guess is it's a faulty Chromecast app.

rusty502

Jan 6, 2014
Visit site
i'm far from being a tech expert but i think the issue is with the Chromecast app on my phone. I deleted the Chromecast app and i was still able to play Google Music on my TV. I installed the Chromecast app again on my phone but Netflix will not work. The software version for the Chromecast app on my phone is 1.3.10. When i click "ready to cast" It states it's connecting to my Chromecast but then it goes to the settings. i don't think it ever connects to the Chromecast.

We are able to connect Netflix to the Chromecast thru my wife's Kindle, so we're able to stream that to the TV. My guess is it's a faulty Chromecast app.

Just curious, have you tried rebooting your router? Might try that and see if you can set the app up

mavrrick

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
What about Google play services

The version on my phone is 4.2.43. Since the CC SDK was released, that is what controls CC functionality.

I also tested what happens when the CC app is uninstalled. Atleast on my phone everything is still working.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wei34